New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 07, 2012, 06:04:08 AM

Most curiously, though: I thought that Warner stopped recording classical? Their Serebrier Glazunov series continued just so it could be finished, but this series looks new ???

So they did... and yet continue to make exceptions for Serebrier. Unfortunately I don't know what the machinations of that deal are... i.e. which direction the money (if any) flows... but it is certainly a most notable exception to a policy change that is now nearly four or five (?) years old.

mc ukrneal

Here's one that looks very interesting - a lot of operetta!
[asin]B005BV5AL2[/asin]

It includes:
http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/NR_December_Classical/233424.htm.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 22, 2011, 08:01:56 PM
Two recordings going to be released next year that I'm eagerly anticipating:

[asin]B006BBVLQY[/asin]

Could my eyes be deceiving me? Is this true? Yes, it is. Jan Wagner, for those that don't know, has been an advocate of Latin American music for quite some time releasing, on the Bridge label, two excellent recordings of Ginastera and Villa-Lobos (the only stereo performance of VL's last ballet Emperor Jones). I really hope this begins a series of Latin American works. Being a huge fan of this music, my mouth just waters at all the possibilities of what could happen if this becomes a series. There's still so much early-mid 20th Century Latin music that has yet to be recorded. Can't wait for this release.

John, Klaus Heymann says that this is the first in a three-volume series dedicated to Venezuelan composers and performed by Jan Wagner and the Orquesta Sinfonica de Venezuela.

He adds (this is in an email to ClassicsOnline subscribers) that Wit/Warsaw are doing the complete choir/orchestra works of Brahms. This is a bit amusing to me, because in an interview a year or two ago, Wit griped that he really wanted to record the German Requiem but Naxos wouldn't let him!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 08, 2012, 06:40:09 AMJohn, Klaus Heymann says that this is the first in a three-volume series dedicated to Venezuelan composers and performed by Jan Wagner and the Orquesta Sinfonica de Venezuela.

Awesome! Thanks for the info, Brian.

Papy Oli

35 CD  - release Feb 6th

[asin]B0064ZDQCO[/asin]

10 CD - just released

[asin]B005WIKRTO[/asin]

Olivier

Opus106

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 10, 2012, 02:10:33 PM
10 CD - just released

[asin]B005WIKRTO[/asin]

FYI: That bargain-hunting French blogger reports that there are faulty packaging with the Fiorentino box -- wrong slip cases, discs and things like that.
Regards,
Navneeth

Lethevich

Quote from: jlaurson on January 07, 2012, 06:11:28 AM
So they did... and yet continue to make exceptions for Serebrier. Unfortunately I don't know what the machinations of that deal are... i.e. which direction the money (if any) flows... but it is certainly a most notable exception to a policy change that is now nearly four or five (?) years old.

Hmm I just noticed they relelase Charlie Siem, who also has the whiff of self-funding. It's strange how Warner have become a vanity label ::)

Anyway, speaking of label stars, Alison Balsom has finally recorded something that looks to be worth buying, yay! Knowing EMI's weird over-supply problems, it will no doubt become available at under half-price on Amazon marketplace in short measure.

[asin]B0063J80TK[/asin]
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 14, 2012, 11:48:20 AM
Hmm I just noticed they relelase Charlie Siem, who also has the whiff of self-funding.

Ah, yes, Charlie Siem, victim of my scathingest review>:D

jlaurson

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 14, 2012, 11:48:20 AM
Hmm I just noticed they relelase Charlie Siem, who also has the whiff of self-funding. It's strange how Warner have become a vanity label ::)

At least Serebrier is quite good.

Re: Bilson: MacMillan is always a worthy cause, indeed!

Henk

Quote from: Lisztianwagner on January 02, 2012, 08:47:59 AM
I'm waiting for this release eagerly!
Watching the Neujahrskonzert on TV was definitely wonderful, I'm looking forward to buying the CD :)

[asin]B005OZ4CWS[/asin]

Indeed, I watched it too. Was great, with the dancers and the public being part of the performance. Greatly conducted by Jansons. I liked the music as well. All these things came together in a wonderful real happening, not just a show.

Henk

Holden

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 10, 2012, 02:10:33 PM

10 CD - just released

[asin]B005WIKRTO[/asin]

Any idea how much of this is covered in the APR series?

Is there somewhere with a track listing?
Cheers

Holden

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Henk on January 15, 2012, 04:24:13 AM
Indeed, I watched it too. Was great, with the dancers and the public being part of the performance. Greatly conducted by Jansons. I liked the music as well. All these things came together in a wonderful real happening, not just a show.

Henk

Really glad you enjoyed the Neujarhskonzert too Henk! I certainly agree, the performance was superb, very beautiful, vibrant and full of orchestral brilliance; but I expected nothing less from Jansosn & Wiener Philharmoniker :)
I saw amazon was going to release the CD on 17th January, can't wait to buy it!

Ilaria
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Papy Oli

Quote from: Holden on January 15, 2012, 10:53:50 AM
Any idea how much of this is covered in the APR series?

Is there somewhere with a track listing?

There you go : http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//PCLM0033.htm
Olivier

ibanezmonster

Quote from: Brian on December 31, 2010, 08:38:59 AM
Coming in January 2011, Leif Segerstam conducts his own Symphonies Nos 81, 162, and 181. I've never heard any Segerstam, so I'm kind of curious how he has managed to write 181 symphonies. And I find it hilarious that the "name" of Symphony No 81 is "After Eighty." Duh?
Just saw this from over a year ago and the discussion on that page.
His symphony 212 is pretty good (it's on youtube)... I also wonder how he even manages to write so many. I read somewhere years ago that he uses an aleatoric technique, but it doesn't sound one bit aleatoric to me. Quite close to Saariaho's sound- beautiful and dark.

Lethevich

Inbound:

[asin]B006MO0MCY[/asin]
Looks like this is going to be a full cycle. I wonder how many have slipped through since Lebrecht's increasingly hilarious proclamation of the death of the Beethoven integral.

Henk

Brian

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 19, 2012, 01:38:12 PM
Inbound:

[asin]B006MO0MCY[/asin]
Looks like this is going to be a full cycle. I wonder how many have slipped through since Lebrecht's increasingly hilarious proclamation of the death of the Beethoven integral.

When did Lebrecht say that?

Since 2000 I count full Beethoven cycles from Barenboim, Abbado, Mackerras, Vanska, Dausgaard, Immerseel, Jarvi, Pletnev, Norrington, Kuhn, Rattle, Haitink, Nelson, Tremblay, Van Zweden (in progress?), Skrowaczewski, Chailly, and Thielemann. I might have missed one.

Lethevich

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2012, 02:54:11 PM
When did Lebrecht say that?

It was tied into his old "the major labels will collapse within a matter of years" fantasy (the truth of an infinitely more gradual decline I guess wouldn't make him as much money). I tried to Google up a quote, but it became depressing reading his writings, and even worse, the reactions to them.

Brian

Well, to be fair to Lebrecht...

Quote from: Brian on January 19, 2012, 02:54:11 PM
Since 2000 I count full Beethoven cycles from Barenboim, Abbado, Mackerras, Vanska, Dausgaard, Immerseel, Jarvi, Pletnev, Norrington, Kuhn, Rattle, Haitink, Nelson, Tremblay, Van Zweden (in progress?), Skrowaczewski, Chailly, and Thielemann. I might have missed one.

...I count one cycle for Warner, two for DG, one for RCA, one for EMI, one for Decca, one for Sony, and eleven for "the minor labels".