New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

regor and 4 Guests are viewing this topic.

kishnevi

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 19, 2012, 07:52:40 PM
Oh, I'm getting this...

I thought the name was familiar, and went to look, and found out why--it's the same conductor (and pianist and orchestra) as the Pierne Piano Concerto recording on Chandos.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 19, 2012, 08:43:41 PM
I thought the name was familiar, and went to look, and found out why--it's the same conductor (and pianist and orchestra) as the Pierne Piano Concerto recording on Chandos.

That's right. Hopefully, this will be a good one. I'm such a sucker for Falla's music.

Brian

DavidW

That cover screams desperate studio tries anything to get people to buy the music!  That is demeaning more than it is artistic, sensual or even interesting.  But maybe I just need to go to bed now, getting cranky. :)

Lethevich

Quote from: DavidW on January 26, 2012, 07:17:22 PM
That cover screams desperate studio tries anything to get people to buy the music!  That is demeaning more than it is artistic, sensual or even interesting.  But maybe I just need to go to bed now, getting cranky. :)

Sucks, because I like the repertoire - but I'm not having that thing on my shelf. (But I'd credit the artist as much as the label for the idea - it's not likely that the subject matter would have been suggested by the latter before the former - odds on that such a suggestion would chill the professional relationship with most artists ;D "Hey, wanna go nude? :-* It'd be doing us a big favour!")

Edit: Ohlsson is always worth a listen, though I'll be waiting for reviews:

[asin]B006FNN800[/asin]
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

kishnevi

Quote from: Lethevich Dmitriyevna Pettersonova on January 27, 2012, 05:20:15 AM
Sucks, because I like the repertoire - but I'm not having that thing on my shelf. (But I'd credit the artist as much as the label for the idea - it's not likely that the subject matter would have been suggested by the latter before the former - odds on that such a suggestion would chill the professional relationship with most artists ;D "Hey, wanna go nude? :-* It'd be doing us a big favour!")

I'm totally unfamiliar with her--not even if she's a violinist, singer, pianist, or some other variety of -ist.  What music is on the recording?

Second question:  when will Sarge (pre)order it?
Quote from: DavidW on January 26, 2012, 07:17:22 PM

It's at least useful evidence to use when someone complains that classical music is stale and old fashioned.  Even a hip hop artist might consider this pushing the envelope.  (Well, maybe not a hip hop artist.  Let's use "pop" or "rock" there instead.)

Lethevich

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on January 27, 2012, 11:48:38 AM
I'm totally unfamiliar with her--not even if she's a violinist, singer, pianist, or some other variety of -ist.  What music is on the recording?

Songs:

Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

premont

Quote from: Brian on January 26, 2012, 04:44:23 PM
Ahem.

What the Sarge!!  :o :o  :o

Is it Andrea on the cover (something of a contradictio in adjecto as it is a cover without much cover) or is it just an anonymous model?
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Bulldog

Ahem.

That's a nice cover - tasteful, dignified and attractive.  Lang-Lang should give it a try (or Brendel). ;D

Brian

To answer questions,
(a) Yes, it's really Andrea on the CD cover,
(b) She's a mezzosoprano,
(c) I am perfectly willing to bet it was either her idea or something she was enthusiastic about, because
(d) She appears to be a minor sex symbol in CzRep already, with a whole gallery (SFW) on iHOT.cz

Oh and
(e) I requested this from MusicWeb  ;D

Bulldog

Quote from: jlaurson on January 27, 2012, 03:41:12 PM
The only disturbing thing about this cover for me: the shitty hair.

And yes, a quick google-image-search reveals: She really is that tacky, and worse!

I didn't notice anything tacky about those images, and her hair looks fine for bedroom activities.

Holden

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 15, 2012, 02:09:04 PM
There you go : http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//PCLM0033.htm

Looks like virtually all of it. The only stuff I can't find is the Debussy, and the  Bach P&F disc. This means that I have eight of the 10 CDs already. Now, if this is well recorded, it will definitely be worth getting as I consider Fiorentino to be one of the best pianists I have ever heard.

About the Kempff - if it had the mono LVB sonata set I'd jump for it but it looks like it's the stereo.
Cheers

Holden

Brian

Well, well, well! Alexander Melnikov plays the Piano Concertos with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, and joins Isabelle Faust for the Violin Sonata.

Mandryka

Quote from: Bulldog on January 27, 2012, 02:12:22 PM
That's a nice cover - tasteful, dignified and attractive.  Lang-Lang should give it a try (or Brendel). ;D

It's not a good cover artistically. The best sexy covers were on Westminster Gold LPs, and by comparison that one is poor. My favourite is Monteux's Romeo and Juiliet (Berlioz)

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Bulldog

Quote from: Mandryka on February 13, 2012, 09:45:06 PM
It's not a good cover artistically. The best sexy covers were on Westminster Gold LPs, and by comparison that one is poor. My favourite is Monteux's Romeo and Juiliet (Berlioz)

You find that sexy?  I don't, especially those ridiculous stockings the guy is wearing.

Mandryka

I think it's very evocative of a certain era and yes  I think is sexy. I don't look at the socks. I like her ass and her hair and his mustache. 

It reminds me of the sex scene in Nick Roeg's film Don't Look Now, the one with Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, which I also think is very sexy. Somehow there's a similar ambiance. I recommend the film enthusiastically if you don't know it. 

Here's the sex  scene

http://en.vidivodo.com/video/julie-christie/279275#videoalt

Not on youtube: maybe because it's so hot, in a subtle sort of way.

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Ahem.

I would say things are definitively getting better for us guys. She is a gem.

Bulldog

Quote from: Mandryka on February 14, 2012, 12:35:15 AM
I think it's very evocative of a certain era and yes  I think is sexy. I don't look at the socks. I like her ass and her hair and his mustache. 

It reminds me of the sex scene in Nick Roeg's film Don't Look Now, the one with Julie Christie and Donald Sutherland, which I also think is very sexy. Somehow there's a similar ambiance. I recommend the film enthusiastically if you don't know it. 

Here's the sex  scene

http://en.vidivodo.com/video/julie-christie/279275#videoalt

Not on youtube: maybe because it's so hot, in a subtle sort of way.

That was 3 minutes of boredom with about the worst music applied.  You and I are on very different wavelengths.  I don't see sex as a subtle activity; it's primitive and messy. 8)

DavidW

The ending is what sticks in my mind most about that movie.  It's a pretty good sex scene though but forgettable, not risque for it's time but probably risque for now... we're such puritans! ;D

DavidW

Quote from: Bulldog on February 14, 2012, 03:23:09 PM
That was 3 minutes of boredom with about the worst music applied.  You and I are on very different wavelengths.  I don't see sex as a subtle activity; it's primitive and messy. 8)

Don, this must be you and the Mrs. ;D ;D