New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Well, his postwoman certainly reigns supreme!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

North Star

Quote from: madaboutmahler on February 16, 2012, 12:31:40 PM
YES!!!!  8)

Can't wait!

I gather you are not, Karl?
Well, perhaps he's only just really really excited, therefore really really less excited than you.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

madaboutmahler

Quote from: North Star on February 16, 2012, 01:08:51 PM
Well, perhaps he's only just really really excited, therefore really really less excited than you.

Possibly.  8)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

mc ukrneal

Here's one that looks intriguing. I've never heard any of his piano works. Even wikipedia just says Miscellaneous piano pieces, which leads me to think these are not going to be the quality of his other music. Though, he has written many songs for piano and voice, so that could bode well. Or maybe it will be uneven. Guess we'll find out soon. There are some clips at jpc if interested. Great cover!
[asin]B006TYJ1WO[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

I know the music from an EMI twofer - it's rather good. I found it a bit less revelatory than Pierné, but none the less happy to have it.

[asin]B0000CE7FS[/asin]
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Today while at work I read an interview with Klaus Heymann where he said that Naxos will be celebrating its 25th anniversary this year with releases of the Ravel orchestral music (Orchestre de Lyon, Leonard Slatkin) and the complete Mieczyslaw Weinberg symphonies (Warsaw/Wit? he didn't say, but Wit has mentioned it in the past). I'm a little bummed about Slatkin - I was hoping they had Stephane Deneve and the Scottish National Orchestra on hand to do Ravel. The Weinberg news is exciting.

Heymann also said that in coming years Naxos will reduce its monthly releases to only 10-12, and that he's trying to lure more and more famous artists to the label to increase profitability. 2011 saw the Naxos debuts of Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Paul Meyer, Eliahu Inbal, and Pepe Romero, so he's making a good start there. Heymann did concede that this meant they'd be re-recording standard repertoire to appease the more famous artists he wants on the label's roster - so, even though he loves Jeno Jando's Beethoven, he'll give someone the opportunity to re-record the 32 sonatas if it brings a major international pianist on board.

There's a lot more - I just skimmed.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on February 22, 2012, 04:36:46 PM
Today while at work I read an interview with Klaus Heymann where he said that Naxos will be celebrating its 25th anniversary this year with releases of the Ravel orchestral music (Orchestre de Lyon, Leonard Slatkin) and the complete Mieczyslaw Weinberg symphonies (Warsaw/Wit? he didn't say, but Wit has mentioned it in the past). I'm a little bummed about Slatkin - I was hoping they had Stephane Deneve and the Scottish National Orchestra on hand to do Ravel. The Weinberg news is exciting.

Heymann also said that in coming years Naxos will reduce its monthly releases to only 10-12, and that he's trying to lure more and more famous artists to the label to increase profitability. 2011 saw the Naxos debuts of Jean-Yves Thibaudet, Paul Meyer, Eliahu Inbal, and Pepe Romero, so he's making a good start there. Heymann did concede that this meant they'd be re-recording standard repertoire to appease the more famous artists he wants on the label's roster - so, even though he loves Jeno Jando's Beethoven, he'll give someone the opportunity to re-record the 32 sonatas if it brings a major international pianist on board.

There's a lot more - I just skimmed.

Ravel and Slatkin = major ::) from me. They should have got Markl to do it. He's much better suited to the music than boring old Slatkin.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2012, 04:39:38 PMThey should have got Markl to do it. He's much better suited to the music than boring old Slatkin.

That's why I suggested Deneve. I've seen Deneve do La valse. I felt like I'd been hit by lightning. (In a good way, that is!)

I do have the slightest of suspicions that Deneve's recording Ravel for someone else, but that's mere conjecture.

Mirror Image

Besides the Debussy/Markl set coming out in a few days, I'm looking forward to this one next month:

eyeresist

Quote from: Brian on February 22, 2012, 04:36:46 PMToday while at work I read an interview with Klaus Heymann where he said that Naxos will be celebrating its 25th anniversary this year with releases of the Ravel orchestral music (Orchestre de Lyon, Leonard Slatkin) and the complete Mieczyslaw Weinberg symphonies (Warsaw/Wit? he didn't say, but Wit has mentioned it in the past). I'm a little bummed about Slatkin - I was hoping they had Stephane Deneve and the Scottish National Orchestra on hand to do Ravel. The Weinberg news is exciting.
Exciting news indeed! Hopefully most of the Weinberg releases will stretch over the hour mark ;)
I agree that Deneve conducting Ravel would be more enticing. After his excellent Roussel cycle, he should be considered a major name in French music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: eyeresist on February 22, 2012, 07:31:40 PM
I agree that Deneve conducting Ravel would be more enticing. After his excellent Roussel cycle, he should be considered a major name in French music.

Yes, I wish Deneve would do all of Ravel's orchestral works.

The new erato

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2012, 06:52:43 PM
Besides the Debussy/Markl set coming out in a few days, I'm looking forward to this one next month:

Yes indeed. It's been preannounced on the Australian Buywell site for some time, high time we saw it in the shops now!

not edward

Quote from: The new erato on February 22, 2012, 10:00:20 PM
Yes indeed. It's been preannounced on the Australian Buywell site for some time, high time we saw it in the shops now!
Does look very nice, even to someone like me who has about half the material already. The Honegger Cantate de Noel and the Martin In terra pax are particularly fine.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Antoine Marchand

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on February 22, 2012, 10:00:20 PM

It comes out in March. Thank goodness...

Mirror Image

Quote from: edward on February 23, 2012, 05:41:55 AM
Does look very nice, even to someone like me who has about half the material already. The Honegger Cantate de Noel and the Martin In terra pax are particularly fine.

I have all the works presented on this 2-CD set in other performances, but I really would like to hear what Ansermet does with Honegger. Should be excellent.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 23, 2012, 06:02:35 AM
A new Johannes-Passion by Sigiswald Kuijken and La Petite Bande, under this gorgeous cover:  ;D

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Johannes-Passion-BWV-245/hnum/4901606

8)

What were they thinking!?!? That cover does not make me want to run out and buy it (but does make me want to run - far away).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on February 23, 2012, 06:55:31 AM
What were they thinking!?!? That cover does not make me want to run out and buy it (but does make me want to run - far away).
It certainly makes a contrast to ......babes. Whether for better or worse I'm not quite sure.

MishaK

Quote from: Mirror Image on February 22, 2012, 07:47:04 PM
Yes, I wish Deneve would do all of Ravel's orchestral works.

Whatever recording projects Denève does next will probably not be with RSNO, but with his new band, the SWR Stuttgart SO.