New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

Quote from: MishaK on February 23, 2012, 11:51:40 AM
Whatever recording projects Denève does next will probably not be with RSNO, but with his new band, the SWR Stuttgart SO.

And therefore -- possibly if not necessarily -- Haenssler, since the SWRadio cooperates with them and not Naxos.

Lethevich

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 23, 2012, 06:02:35 AM
A new Johannes-Passion by Sigiswald Kuijken and La Petite Bande, under this gorgeous cover:  ;D

I wonder whether any other UK people notice a slight resemblance between Kuijken and John Prescott (a former politician). It always makes his photos look slightly off for me.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Brian

Quote from: jlaurson on February 23, 2012, 12:10:58 PM
And therefore -- possibly if not necessarily -- Haenssler, since the SWRadio cooperates with them and not Naxos.

Is this up to the individual radio outfits? I know for instance NDR is cozy with cpo and MDR has recently begun recording on Naxos.

eyeresist

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on February 23, 2012, 06:02:35 AMA new Johannes-Passion by Sigiswald Kuijken and La Petite Bande, under this gorgeous cover:  ;D

It's a great face, but not one I'd want to meet in a dark alley.

Lethevich

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Lethevich on February 29, 2012, 06:19:20 PM
Not out yet, but coming in the next few months:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/s.asp?s=S_1
Yippee! I've had the Kalkbrenner on my wishlist for a month now (just waiting for it to be released), but the Wiklund is new to me (both the name and this release). This is perhaps the best series ever (considering the quality, how long it has gone on, and the wide range of (new) names included)!
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Lethevich

Indeedie, I love it - shame that the other two series haven't caught light yet. Especially curious given how many VCs there are out there.

kishnevi

I'm presuming I'm not the only one interested in this one, which was released this week (at least, in the US. This may be one of those recordings that are released in Europe weeks ahead of the US.)
[asin]B006O8K3K4[/asin]

Quote from: Lethevich on March 01, 2012, 03:01:32 PM
Indeedie, I love it - shame that the other two series haven't caught light yet. Especially curious given how many VCs there are out there.

I think you underestimate the ubiquity of the piano versus the violin.  The American West had honky tonk pianos, not honky tonk violins; and the supposed nightmare of every 20th century boy was parently enforced piano lessons, not violin lessons.

(Speaking as someone whose parents chose the violin for him because 1)pianos were too expensive 2)horns were too loud and 3)cellos were too big for a nine year old kid to handle comfortable, even in the kid size versions.  (And clarinets were not even considered--apologies to Karl!)

Lethevich

Another incoming one (did I mention that I love this label ;D):

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Lethevich on March 01, 2012, 03:01:32 PM
Well, No. 12 in the series is coming out in May (Vieuxtemps), and this has picked up after a three year hiatus (from 2006-09) between #6 and #7. We'll just hope it keeps coming.

Leo K.

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 01, 2012, 04:47:40 PM
I'm presuming I'm not the only one interested in this one, which was released this week (at least, in the US. This may be one of those recordings that are released in Europe weeks ahead of the US.)
[asin]B006O8K3K4[/asin]

Wow...I gotta hear this one. Thanks for the heads up!

Cascade

Quote from: Brian on February 13, 2012, 04:30:10 PM

Well, well, well! Alexander Melnikov plays the Piano Concertos with the Mahler Chamber Orchestra, and joins Isabelle Faust for the Violin Sonata.

Anyone heard this yet? I ordered it after reading a glowing review of it in the papers.

kishnevi

Quote from: Cascade on March 05, 2012, 10:33:10 AM
Anyone heard this yet? I ordered it after reading a glowing review of it in the papers.

I have it, and liked it on first hearing, but since I've only played it once (I have a huge listen to pile at the moment, and for some time to come),  I don't feel right about giving it a raving thumbs up.  At least a couple more listens would be required before I get to that point.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on February 23, 2012, 05:17:10 PM
Is this up to the individual radio outfits? I know for instance NDR is cozy with cpo and MDR has recently begun recording on Naxos.

That depends. NDR is not as such cozy with cpo... but some of the NDR Outlets are. (I.e. the Hannover Band, but not the main Orchestra.)
BR has its own label now, but they had cooperated with anyone who was game. The MRSO with RCA, the BRSO with EMI and most recently, Sony and for re-issues with audite.
Esp. with big labels, it usually depends on the contracts with the artists... but with such contracts either expiring or diminishing, it becomes easier to create or form 'house-labels'.

The SWR seems to be unique in that the entire fleet of orchestras has Haenssler as the go-to address... but then they're the local label and have a history that goes back several years and their connections are very much entangled. Mutually beneficial so far, I'd say.

Lethevich

Toccata Classics are surpassing themselves of late. Out now or soon are the following:

Hans Gál: Music for Cello
Ernst Krenek: Music for Chamber Orchestra
Riccardo Malipiero: Complete Music for Solo Piano
Nikolai Peyko: Complete Piano Music, Volume One
Percy Sherwood: Complete Works for Cello and Piano
Myroslav Skoryk: Music for Violin and Piano
Brahms by Arrangement, Volume One

I want to hug them ;___;

The new erato

Quote from: Lethevich on March 08, 2012, 09:05:37 AM
Toccata Classics are surpassing themselves of late. Out now or soon are the following:

Hans Gál: Music for Cello
Ernst Krenek: Music for Chamber Orchestra
Riccardo Malipiero: Complete Music for Solo Piano
Nikolai Peyko: Complete Piano Music, Volume One
Percy Sherwood: Complete Works for Cello and Piano
Myroslav Skoryk: Music for Violin and Piano
Brahms by Arrangement, Volume One

I want to hug them ;___;
My wife OTOH wants a serious talk to Martin Anderson.

mc ukrneal

Here's one that could be interesting...
[asin]B006WYN690[/asin]

Here for a good listing of what is on it: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/4783640.htm

kishnevi

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 11, 2012, 02:46:22 PM
Here's one that could be interesting...
[asin]B006WYN690[/asin]

Here for a good listing of what is on it: http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product/4783640.htm

Well, I already have at least 15 CDs out of the 50.   The listings don't make it clear, but the Verdi is the Solti recording.  Of the ones I have,  they're all at least good, and some of them excellent enough to be my preferred performances.  I do have a different recording of Spem in alium by the King's College Choir--the worst by several miles of that work I have ever heard--hopefully they did a better job for DG/Decca than they did for EMI.

mc ukrneal

OOOOOOOOoooooooh. Here's an interesting one. Does this go to the top of the list? I was considering a variety of discs, but this would make it easier if they are all pretty good or better.
[asin]B006BYWE12[/asin]

Includes:
Symphony No. 1 in B flat minor New Philharmonia Orchestra/Sir Malcolm Sargent
Symphony No. 2 London Symphony Orchestra/André Previn
Viola Concerto (revised version) Nigel Kennedy/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/André Previn
Violin Concerto (revised version) - Nigel Kennedy/Royal Philharmonic Orchestra/André Previn
Façade - Two suites for orchestra (1987 Digital Remaster) City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra/Louis Frémaux
Belshazzar's Feast John Shirley-Quirk/London Symphony Chorus/London Symphony Orchestra/André Previn
Troilus and Cressida (1992 Digital Remaster) Elisabeth Schwarzkopf/Monica Sinclair/Richard Lewis/Lewis Thomas/John Hauxwell

Lethevich

I love Amazon's "Symphonies & Co" title.

Surely EMI has more works in their vaults, though, although I guess it's still a decent set.