New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kishnevi

Quote from: Que on March 23, 2012, 03:26:40 PM
That might be the father of the now-(in)famous André Rieu.... André Rieu sr. (1917-1992) was conductor of a provincial orchestra, the Maastrichts Stedelijk Orkest (Maastricht City Orchestra), later transformed into the Limburgs Symphonie Orkest (Limburg Symphony Orchestra).

Q

From Prestoclassical's description, which I think is mostly cut and paste of Teldec's own PR:
QuoteFrom Schleicht, spielende Wellen, BWV 206, recorded by the Monteverdi Choir Hamburg, Amsterdam Chamber Orchestra, Jürgen Jürgens and André Rieu in 1963 to the Trio in A major, BWV 1025 with Werner Ehrhardt and Gerald Hambitzer recorded in April 1999, COMPLETE BACH chronicles nearly four decades of Bach performance on period instruments.

Since I didn't know about the father, and am not in the least familiar with Jurgen Jurgens.  I assumed it was the PBS Rieu--that Rieu was simply a then unknown member of the violin section whom Teldec highlighted now because of his celebrity.  In fact, Andre Jr. was born (now that I'm digging into Wikipedia) 1 October 1949, which would make him a tad young to actually be in a recording in 1963.   So I guess it's really Andre Sr. conducting--and Jurgens being a vocal soloist?

In that case, this state of emergency is hereby terminated.

WARNING: ANDRE RIEU ALERT

Karl Henning

Back down to Condition Amber . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Drasko

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Jules-Massenet-1842-1912-Massenet-Edition/hnum/3014587

I'm very little familiar with Massenet, so this could be interesting. Probably no chance for printed libretti, but even .pdf wouldn't be bad.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Drasko on March 24, 2012, 05:04:46 AM

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Jules-Massenet-1842-1912-Massenet-Edition/hnum/3014587

I'm very little familiar with Massenet, so this could be interesting. Probably no chance for printed libretti, but even .pdf wouldn't be bad.
Assuming they are taking the right performances, which judging from the performers they are, then this is a very interesting one stop shop for Massenet. So many excellent performances if they take them: Fleming in Thais, the Werther with Carreras and co, Esclarmonde with Sutherland, Therese conducted by Bonynge - long out of print I think, Le Roi De Lahore also out of print (with Sutherland and Milnes, et al), etc. It could be a really high quality box.

EDIT: And presumably they will have the Don Quichotte with Kord conducting, which is outstanding, and was only available in a French edition for the most part. Ghiaurov is in that one, and he is listed.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 23, 2012, 05:33:24 PM
From Prestoclassical's description, which I think is mostly cut and paste of Teldec's own PR:
Since I didn't know about the father, and am not in the least familiar with Jurgen Jurgens.  I assumed it was the PBS Rieu--that Rieu was simply a then unknown member of the violin section whom Teldec highlighted now because of his celebrity.  In fact, Andre Jr. was born (now that I'm digging into Wikipedia) 1 October 1949, which would make him a tad young to actually be in a recording in 1963.   So I guess it's really Andre Sr. conducting--and Jurgens being a vocal soloist?

In that case, this state of emergency is hereby terminated.

WARNING: ANDRE RIEU ALERT

Yes, that Rieu is André Rieu Sr. who conducts The Amsterdam Chamber Orchestra in this famous historic version of the cantata BWV 206, quite enjoyable even today, both in terms of performance (among the soloists just the alto uses too much vibrato) and sound quality. I recall that Gustav Leonhardt sometimes played with Rieu, but I don't know if he plays the weak harpsichord continuo here.

Jürgen Jürgens was the Chorus master of the Monteverdi-Chor Hamburg, himself also an important pioneer of the early HIP movement.

madaboutmahler

Should be good:

[asin]B007C4T7K6[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Lisztianwagner

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 24, 2012, 09:50:29 AM
Should be good:

[asin]B007C4T7K6[/asin]

Oh, I haven't listened to it yet, but if this one is as good as his other Shostakovich recordings, it's really brilliant! ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

kishnevi

Quote from: mc ukrneal on March 24, 2012, 05:34:52 AM
Assuming they are taking the right performances, which judging from the performers they are, then this is a very interesting one stop shop for Massenet. So many excellent performances if they take them: Fleming in Thais, the Werther with Carreras and co, Esclarmonde with Sutherland, Therese conducted by Bonynge - long out of print I think, Le Roi De Lahore also out of print (with Sutherland and Milnes, et al), etc. It could be a really high quality box.

EDIT: And presumably they will have the Don Quichotte with Kord conducting, which is outstanding, and was only available in a French edition for the most part. Ghiaurov is in that one, and he is listed.

Actually,  Decca has just issued Esclarmonde as part of its new budget re-issue series of operas (I think the rubric is Decca Opera)--but not Roi de Lahore. 

I had that Esclarmonde recording when it was first issued, and ended up giving it away.  I simply wasn't taken with it.  It was more in the line of a novelty (that's the one which Massenet wrote for the American soprano who could sing up to F above Mount Everest, or however high it actually was--Sutherland seemed to handle it with ease, of course).  At that point Massenet's style wasn't really for me.  I'm not sure if it is now, twenty five years or so later.  The only Massenet opera I have now is Don Quichotte (the EMI recording with van Dam). 

But one thing I'm sure of--for Esclarmonde at least you'll need either to be very fluent in French or have the libretto in hand as you listen to it.   

And going by the JPC description, it only has orchestral music/ballet music from Le Cid and Cendrillon, not the full operas.

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 24, 2012, 09:50:29 AM
Should be good:

[asin]B007C4T7K6[/asin]

Yes! It will be good! Especially considering how consistent this cycle has become. Symphony No. 2 is an amusing work that's full of experimentation and aggression. The twist of the work is when a chorus is used in the second movement. It's not a symphony that isn't discussed much but the more I listen to it, the more I like it. That first movement is absolutely furious. It reminds me of a charging bull --- that kind of anger. The 15th needs no introduction. It's an interesting symphony but it doesn't move me like Shostakovich's other ones. It's still a good symphony though and I do enjoy it.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on March 24, 2012, 06:01:23 PM
Actually,  Decca has just issued Esclarmonde as part of its new budget re-issue series of operas (I think the rubric is Decca Opera)--but not Roi de Lahore. 

I had that Esclarmonde recording when it was first issued, and ended up giving it away.  I simply wasn't taken with it.  It was more in the line of a novelty (that's the one which Massenet wrote for the American soprano who could sing up to F above Mount Everest, or however high it actually was--Sutherland seemed to handle it with ease, of course).  At that point Massenet's style wasn't really for me.  I'm not sure if it is now, twenty five years or so later.  The only Massenet opera I have now is Don Quichotte (the EMI recording with van Dam). 

But one thing I'm sure of--for Esclarmonde at least you'll need either to be very fluent in French or have the libretto in hand as you listen to it.   

And going by the JPC description, it only has orchestral music/ballet music from Le Cid and Cendrillon, not the full operas.
Massenet has been growing on me in recent years, which is why this box interests me (that, and I had been considering some of these separately). So I will wait a few months to see what is really in it. Some of the librettos can be found online. Esclarmonde, for example, can be found at operamanager (which you can find via a wiki link).
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

TheGSMoeller

.[asin]B006O8K4T4[/asin]

The Hobbit returns with The Might Oxford!

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on March 26, 2012, 08:20:22 AM
.[asin]B006O8K4T4[/asin]

The Hobbit returns with The Might Oxford!

Excellent. I can't wait to tell Mrs. Rock. She'll be thrilled  :D

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 26, 2012, 08:25:24 AM
Excellent. I can't wait to tell Mrs. Rock. She'll be thrilled  :D

Sarge

Should be a good one. I thought I was pleased with my recordings of 92, but this one might need to join them.

Bulldog

James Bowman Sings Handel Heroic Arias/King's Consort/Robert King:

Not a new release, but a reissue on the Helios label.  I can't begin to tell you how uplifting I've found this disc for the many years I've owned it.  Definitely one of the top ten recordings in my music library.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Bulldog on March 26, 2012, 02:17:59 PM
James Bowman Sings Handel Heroic Arias/King's Consort/Robert King:

Not a new release, but a reissue on the Helios label.  I can't begin to tell you how uplifting I've found this disc for the many years I've owned it.  Definitely one of the top ten recordings in my music library.

I am not a big Handel fan, but your description sounds irresistible, Don. Additionally, Bowman is one of my favorite counter-tenors. Sold.

madaboutmahler

hmmmm....
[asin]B006ZV6X5O[/asin]

Will you be getting this, John?
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

The new erato

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 27, 2012, 08:17:39 AM
hmmmm....
[asin]B006ZV6X5O[/asin]

Is the pope catholic? Of course he will. Why delude ourselves?

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on March 27, 2012, 08:17:39 AM
hmmmm....
[asin]B006ZV6X5O[/asin]

Yes, I need 27 complete recordings of Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe. :D But seriously, it should be good. I'm not sure of the recording date, but this will be Haitink's third complete recording of this ballet. His first was with the BSO and his second was with the CSO.

Edit: Okay so I believe this is Haitink's first recording of this work as it was recorded in 1979. The BSO (on Philips) was released around 1990 or so. The newer CSO recording wasn't released too many years ago.

Mirror Image

Quote from: The new erato on March 27, 2012, 10:10:42 AM
Is the pope catholic? Of course he will. Why delude ourselves?

:P

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 28, 2012, 08:25:25 PM
. . . Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe. :D But seriously, it should be good. I'm not sure of the recording date, but this will be Haitink's third complete recording of this ballet. His first was with the BSO. . . .

Have you heard Levine's (relatively) recent Boston recording, John?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot