New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on March 29, 2012, 03:19:55 AM
Have you heard Levine's (relatively) recent Boston recording, John?

I own both of Levine's Daphnis performances (BPO, BSO). I wasn't too impressed with either one of them. In the newer BSO recording, I think he misses the climax of the famous "sunrise scene," which this is such an important part of the ballet that anything that isn't over-the-top just sounds wrong to my ears. This is where emotional excess is a must. This said, the sound of the BSO and recording itself is first-rate, but sound alone cannot save a performance for me. I'm glad I do own it though.

Brian

Oh my god.

At long last: a new recording of Mieczyslaw Weinberg's masterful cello concerto, one of my two favorite cello concertos of all time (alongside Dvorak). So far as I know there hasn't been one since Rostropovich, live and in mono.

hemmesjo

In addition to the Rostropovich there is one with Mark Drobinsky and more recently Northern Flowers issued one with Dmitry Khrychov coupled with Weinberg's Symphony # 1.

Que

.[asin]B006YXGU2O[/asin]

A 3CDset. The combination of Belder and CPE could work out well IMO.

Q

Que

Another I came across - presumably (hopefully) 1st part of a new series?

[asin]B007AX2UBC[/asin]

Q

not edward

Quote from: Que on March 30, 2012, 11:55:20 PM
Another I came across - presumably (hopefully) 1st part of a new series?

[asin]B007AX2UBC[/asin]

Q
It is, see: http://www.supraphon.com/en/about-us/hot-news/?item=764

Also coming out next months: Sejna in Mozart, Beethoven, Schubert and Mahler; Turnovsky in Martinu's 4th (the only repertoire duplication in the initial issues) and a variety of others.
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

Sergeant Rock

Not part of that series but something to look forward to: Supraphon has bundled together much of Neumann's Dvorak. To be released in Germany on 20 April:

http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonische-Werke-V-Neumann/dp/B0077DDWEE/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333205254&sr=1-11

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Brian

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on March 31, 2012, 06:58:13 AM
Not part of that series but something to look forward to: Supraphon has bundled together much of Neumann's Dvorak. To be released in Germany on 20 April:

http://www.amazon.de/Sinfonische-Werke-V-Neumann/dp/B0077DDWEE/ref=sr_1_11?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1333205254&sr=1-11

Sarge

It's my understanding that the symphonies cycle contained therein is not the cycle that Supraphon previously issued in another box set. Apparently it's an earlier set which has never before appeared on CD, just vinyl. I wonder if any Dvorakians around these parts can testify to differences between the sets, and the qualities of this version?

EDIT: From the official description:
"Alongside the Symphonic Poems and Concert Overtures, Supraphon is releasing for the first time on CD Václav Neumanns sensitively remastered 1972-74 analogue recordings of the complete symphonies (until now, only the digital recordings from the 1980s had been released on CD)."

Drasko

Quote from: Brian on March 31, 2012, 11:37:29 AM
It's my understanding that the symphonies cycle contained therein is not the cycle that Supraphon previously issued in another box set. Apparently it's an earlier set which has never before appeared on CD, just vinyl. I wonder if any Dvorakians around these parts can testify to differences between the sets, and the qualities of this version?

EDIT: From the official description:
"Alongside the Symphonic Poems and Concert Overtures, Supraphon is releasing for the first time on CD Václav Neumanns sensitively remastered 1972-74 analogue recordings of the complete symphonies (until now, only the digital recordings from the 1980s had been released on CD)."

Neumann's analogue cycle has been out on CD before, in Japan, both as a box and some as singles. I have the single disc with 7th and 8th and can testify to their excellence, but not to the differences as I don't have digital ones.

you could try clips (for the analogue set)
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/1940615
http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/product/detail/3853789

Brian

Chandos' upcoming releases are especially exciting. Not only the Weinberg cello concerto, but two discs of orchestral Debussy from the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and Stéphane Denève - plus the first volume of (Todd alert) Jean-Efflam Bavouzet's Beethoven sonata cycle, to contain 3 CDs comprising the first ten sonatas.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 31, 2012, 07:05:58 PMbut two discs of orchestral Debussy from the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and Stéphane Denève

This should be good. :) Deneve is a good conductor as proven by his Roussel on Naxos.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 31, 2012, 07:10:23 PM
This should be good. :) Deneve is a good conductor as proven by his Roussel on Naxos.

I saw him do La mer live (also Ravel's La valse). Let's just say it was a religious experience. 0:)
(Although that might be the wrong descriptor; he tends more to the thrilling than the solemn!)

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on March 31, 2012, 07:42:50 PM
I saw him do La mer live (also Ravel's La valse). Let's just say it was a religious experience. 0:)
(Although that might be the wrong descriptor; he tends more to the thrilling than the solemn!)

I'm sure it was a wonderful experience. I wish he'd come conduct Debussy and Ravel in Atlanta. :(

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on March 31, 2012, 07:49:23 PM
I'm sure it was a wonderful experience. I wish he'd come conduct Debussy and Ravel in Atlanta. :(

He's thought of rather highly by some I will listen to... like Tim Page who liked his first concert in DC, a Verdi Requiem (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2005/03/verdis-requiem-at-kennedy-center.html), much better than I. I've heard him in concert a couple times since, and he's not done it for me yet. Not in Berlioz at least (http://ionarts.blogspot.de/2012/03/ionarts-at-large-berlioz-damnation.html), whom he seemed to know and love too much. Though the time before that, n Szymanowski et al., he was active part of a superb concert. (http://ionarts.blogspot.de/2011/03/ionarts-at-large-zimmermann-brso-do.html). Christian Merlin (Figaro) considered him "the most brilliant [French] conductor under 40 years old", back when he was actually under 40. (2005)

I'm much looking forward to what he'll make in his capacity of successor to Roger Norrington at the Stuttgart SWRO, though... and I enjoy some of his Naxos recordings.

Mirror Image

Quote from: jlaurson on April 01, 2012, 02:03:55 AMI'm much looking forward to what he'll make in his capacity of successor to Roger Norrington at the Stuttgart SWRO, though... and I enjoy some of his Naxos recordings.

I really dislike Norrington and I'm glad he's leaving. I really hope Deneve conducts some Koechlin since Stuttgart Radio Symphony have performed so much of his music under Holliger. Now, they'll have a French conductor. I'm drooling at the very thought of another complete Jungle Book recording. That would be something else.

eyeresist

I don't know if this has been mentioned before... DHM are apparently bringing out a "Sigiswald Kuijken Edition". There are placeholder entries at various online sellers, but NO details of the contents. Amazon release date is given as 15 May 2012. As a great admirer of Kuijken's Haydn symphonies on Virgin, I'm hoping this will mean a lot of good recordings available for cheap!

EDIT: I looked at the DHM site and could find no mention.

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 01, 2012, 08:40:48 PM
I really dislike Norrington and I'm glad he's leaving. I really hope Deneve conducts some Koechlin since Stuttgart Radio Symphony have performed so much of his music under Holliger. Now, they'll have a French conductor. I'm drooling at the very thought of another complete Jungle Book recording. That would be something else.

What do you so dislike about Norrington? That he has a shtick (non vibrato) and that he rides that home, ad nauseam?
I've heard terrible concerts with him, where he tried to bring that approach to an orchestra that simply didn't know what to do with it, or how. (Bruckner 4th with the NSO, like I'd never want to hear again.) But with his orchestra, he achieved some really memorable things. They figured it out eventually and pulled along most admirably. And their playing is all the better for it, I'd reckon.  Especially some of his last recordings, Bruckner 6th, Mahler 9th, are simply superb.
I'm particularly interested if the orchestra can or will keep some of its now unique abilities under Deneve or if he just flips the perma-sumptuousness on again.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 01, 2012, 08:40:48 PM
. . . I really hope Deneve conducts some Koechlin . . . .

TWU!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: jlaurson on April 02, 2012, 04:14:54 AM
What do you so dislike about Norrington? That he has a shtick (non vibrato) and that he rides that home, ad nauseam?
I've heard terrible concerts with him, where he tried to bring that approach to an orchestra that simply didn't know what to do with it, or how. (Bruckner 4th with the NSO, like I'd never want to hear again.) But with his orchestra, he achieved some really memorable things. They figured it out eventually and pulled along most admirably. And their playing is all the better for it, I'd reckon.  Especially some of his last recordings, Bruckner 6th, Mahler 9th, are simply superb.
I'm particularly interested if the orchestra can or will keep some of its now unique abilities under Deneve or if he just flips the perma-sumptuousness on again.

One of the best Mahler 9th I've heard, but then, of course I'm not Madaboutmahler, more like Okwithmahler.  ;D

Karl Henning

okwithmahler! I like it!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot