Lisztianwagner

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2012, 05:57:32 AM
Well, Karajan's M9 is to die for  ;D

Seriously, it's my favorite version.

Sarge
Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 02, 2012, 06:06:05 AM
+1!

+2!!  ;D

"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on April 02, 2012, 06:08:43 AM
Is that the live version I've got in the box, Sarge? September 1982.

Still need to cue that baby up . . . .

Affirmative.

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on April 02, 2012, 06:09:59 AM
I really like the samples of the Norrington Haydn set (the Salonika symphonies) . . . .

Norrington's Stuttgart Londons are the only performances I've ever heard that make me question my 40-year-long allegiance to Szell's Londons. Not that everyone will have the same reaction, but I think his Haydn is stunning.

Sarge

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2012, 06:02:16 AM
I'm sorry to see him go. His Stuttgart recordings of Bruckner, Mahler, Haydn, Beethoven, Mendelssohn are some of the most thrilling music making I've heard this century.

Sarge 
Me too. With Norrington, you have to expect he'll have a flame out or two. But on the flip side, he will do something that has never been heard in our lifetime. Not everyone wants something that unique, but it's part of what makes him special
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2012, 06:10:45 AM
Affirmative.

Sarge

That is absolutely an actionable piece of intelligence . . . but I could not possibly do Gustav to-day.  To-morrow, for certain. (I'm adding it to my smart-phone calendar . . . .)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: mc ukrneal on April 02, 2012, 06:16:47 AM
Me too. With Norrington, you have to expect he'll have a flame out or two. But on the flip side, he will do something that has never been heard in our lifetime....it's part of what makes him special

Exactly. But I realize not every is looking for, or appreciates, something completely different. But for me, artists like Norrington make the classical music world so much more interesting.

sarge

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: karlhenning on April 02, 2012, 06:20:18 AM
That is absolutely an actionable piece of intelligence . . . but I could not possibly do Gustav to-day.  To-morrow, for certain. (I'm adding it to my smart-phone calendar . . . .)

If it's possible, Karl, try to hear it without distractions. M9 needs concentration. I know finding a free hour and half is difficult. But if you can...

Sarge

Karl Henning

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2012, 06:24:21 AM
If it's possible, Karl, try to hear it without distractions. M9 needs concentration. I know finding a free hour and half is difficult. But if you can...

Sarge

Oh, exactly.  I'm already sold on the piece, one of many benefits of having had Jimmy here in Boston . . . agreed that the piece merits its own space . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Sergeant Rock on April 02, 2012, 06:24:21 AM

Sarge

Yes.... one of the reasons I don't get to listen to M9 in full often....
I'm glad I don't though - as I only get to listen to it in full once every few months, maybe 3 or 4 times a year, it makes that listening session all the more special. :)

Quote from: karlhenning on April 02, 2012, 06:32:40 AM
Oh, exactly.  I'm already sold on the piece, one of many benefits of having had Jimmy here in Boston . . . agreed that the piece merits its own space . . . .

Glad to hear this, Karl!
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Karl Henning

Soon you'll be retiring that hammer permanently, Daniel! ; )
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

Quote from: karlhenning on April 02, 2012, 06:44:19 AM
Soon you'll be retiring that hammer permanently, Daniel! ; )

For punishment purposes at least! ;) (see listening thread)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

kishnevi

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on April 02, 2012, 05:17:33 AM
I've mentioned this before here, but I prefer a swifter fourth movement from the 9th, to me it creates a feeling of hope rather than brooding despair, I find some lines getting lost in slower paced performances, Boulez and Norrington offer the swiftest I've heard an those are two I listen to the most.

Zinman achieves the hope and serenity effect, and keeps it up for 28'46.  Which is probably why it's currently my favorite recording of the 9th.
OTOH,  Bruno Walter in 1938  outdoes Norrington: 18'20
The total time for that performance was 70'13.

Barshai with Moscow Radio SO--20'52 (it's on BIS, and I'm pretty sure it's OOP.  Sadko was the one who originally posted it.)  Maderna with BBC SO--21'28.  I like them, but not enough that they're my favorites.

I do like Norrington's Mahler, with the exception of the 2nd, and I'll have to give that a rehearing sometime or other, since the 2nd is either my most favorite or second favorite Mahler (it alternates with the Ninth depending on which one I've listened to most recently), and for me not to like a performance of the 2nd is very odd indeed.

eyeresist

Quote from: madaboutmahler on April 02, 2012, 04:41:13 AMConcerning Norrington's Mahler recordings... I haven't heard any of them yet. Although I am rather interested to, even if I am rather shocked by the fact that Norrington's M9 adagio appears to be nearly 10 minutes shorter than another other recording!  :o
His timings slightly exceed those of Walter's 1938 recording.

Norrington:    I 26.02  II 14.06  III 12.37  IV 19.24
Walter 1938: I 24.43  II 15.34  III 11.12  IV 18.07

kishnevi

Quote from: eyeresist on April 02, 2012, 05:46:18 PM
His timings slightly exceed those of Walter's 1938 recording.

Walter 1938: I 24.43  II 15.34  III 11.12  IV 18.07

I have it in the remastering issued by Dutton; their timings are minimally longer--a total of 25 seconds:
I 24.47 II 15.41 III 11.13 IV. 18.20

Mirror Image

Quote from: jlaurson on April 02, 2012, 04:14:54 AM
What do you so dislike about Norrington? That he has a shtick (non vibrato) and that he rides that home, ad nauseam?
I've heard terrible concerts with him, where he tried to bring that approach to an orchestra that simply didn't know what to do with it, or how. (Bruckner 4th with the NSO, like I'd never want to hear again.) But with his orchestra, he achieved some really memorable things. They figured it out eventually and pulled along most admirably. And their playing is all the better for it, I'd reckon.  Especially some of his last recordings, Bruckner 6th, Mahler 9th, are simply superb.
I'm particularly interested if the orchestra can or will keep some of its now unique abilities under Deneve or if he just flips the perma-sumptuousness on again.

I've just never heard anything from Norrington that has impressed me. I also don't care for his approach to music. I'm sorry if Mahler or Bruckner didn't want vibrato in their music then they would have notated it in their scores, otherwise, it's just tampering with the music IMHO. I'm not opposed different approaches to playing the music but no vibrato in Romantic music should be a sin. :)

jlaurson

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 02, 2012, 06:23:40 PM
QuoteWhat do you so dislike about Norrington? That he has a shtick (non vibrato) and that he rides that home, ad nauseam?
I've heard terrible concerts with him, where he tried to bring that approach to an orchestra that simply didn't know what to do with it, or how. (Bruckner 4th with the NSO, like I'd never want to hear again.) But with his orchestra, he achieved some really memorable things. They figured it out eventually and pulled along most admirably. And their playing is all the better for it, I'd reckon.  Especially some of his last recordings, Bruckner 6th, Mahler 9th, are simply superb.
I'm particularly interested if the orchestra can or will keep some of its now unique abilities under Deneve or if he just flips the perma-sumptuousness on again.
I've just never heard anything from Norrington that has impressed me. I also don't care for his approach to music. I'm sorry if Mahler or Bruckner didn't want vibrato in their music then they would have notated it in their scores, otherwise, it's just tampering with the music IMHO. I'm not opposed different approaches to playing the music but no vibrato in Romantic music should be a sin. :)

I don't believe in sins, when it feels good.  :D

Well, let's amend that to music. I'm not a complete hedonist, after all. I like Norrington's flat-out Taruskinesque admission that he's not doing this primarily for historicist sake, but because he wants to make music for contemporary tastes. (Albeit informed--misinformed as others might claim--by HPP.) Norrington's kernel of an argument is of course that M & B didn't expect perma-rubato, so chastising them for for not indicating that they didn't want it is like blaming Bach for not explicitly stating that he did not want amplification used for his soloists.

eyeresist

I prefer Norrington's argument that he just likes the sound of "pure tone" strings. I do too (though not exclusively!).

chasmaniac

Quote from: eyeresist on April 01, 2012, 08:51:59 PM
I don't know if this has been mentioned before... DHM are apparently bringing out a "Sigiswald Kuijken Edition". There are placeholder entries at various online sellers, but NO details of the contents. Amazon release date is given as 15 May 2012. As a great admirer of Kuijken's Haydn symphonies on Virgin, I'm hoping this will mean a lot of good recordings available for cheap!

EDIT: I looked at the DHM site and could find no mention.

We have cover art now, and if you squint you can read a list of composers on it.

[asin]B007AR7QZI[/asin]
If I have exhausted the justifications, I have reached bedrock and my spade is turned. Then I am inclined to say: "This is simply what I do."  --Wittgenstein, PI §217

Karl Henning

Hmm . . . looks promising.  I could even take some Geminiani and Muffat, there . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA