Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

.[asin]B006ZV6Y80[/asin]

Very enticing, indeed.

premont

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 07, 2012, 04:14:44 AM
.[asin]B006ZV6Y80[/asin]

Very enticing, indeed.

Hopefully it will be available through Abeille.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Antoine Marchand

A recent addition to the Vivaldi Edition (Naïve):

kishnevi

Quote from: Antoine Marchand on April 08, 2012, 06:21:55 AM
A recent addition to the Vivaldi Edition (Naïve):

While looking for that on Amazon US (and at the moment finding it only as an MP3 download,.although I'm still doing a search)  I found this one

US release date 24 April.

Brian

Some of the May releases on Naxos:

Bartok, Concerto for Orchestra; Music for Str, Pc, Celesta. Baltimore/Alsop
Castelnuovo-Tedesco, Piano Concertos 1 and 2. Alessandro Marangoni, piano; Malmo SO/Mogrelia
Górecki, Concerto-Cantata for piano and flute; Harpsichord Concerto (piano version). Anna Górecka, piano; Warsaw/Wit
Lopes-Graça, orchestral music. Fernando Lopes-Graça was one of the most prolific Portuguese composers of the 20th century. His use of Portuguese folk-music to forge a personal style is represented in the Suite Rústica No 1. More sombre moods are expressed in the dark atmosphere of December Poem, which contrasts with the extrovert Festival March. Neo-classical in its extended structures and thematic development, Lopes-Graça's award-winning Symphony maintains an unmistakable connection with the colours and textures of his nation to create music of great expressive and dramatic depth.
Shostakovich, Symphonies 2 and 15. Liverpool/Petrenko

Also look for Britten songs, Delius' "A Mass of Life," concertos by Beethoven contemporary Simon Mayr, and Beethoven's "Choral Fantasy."

And an interesting note from Naxos CEO Klaus Heymann:
"We agreed with Chandos to split the project of recording the complete symphonies of Weinberg between us and this is the first installment of the Naxos part of the project.  Naxos will record symphonies Nos. 2, 6, 8, 9, 11, 12, 15, 17, 18, 19 and 22 and Chandos has recorded or will record the remaining 11.  All 11 symphonies will be recorded by the St. Peterburg State Symphony, conducted by Vladimir Lande except symphonies Nos. 8 and 9 which will be recorded by the Warsaw Philharmonic, conducted by Antoni Wit."

Lethevich

That is great news. Chandos has a habit of abandoning projects early on, and their Weinberg series, let's face it, was never going to complete. Maybe this will give them some motivation to do so.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

madaboutmahler

Only released a few weeks ago, and already some shining reviews! I doubt it would be easy to find a new recording that beat my personal favourite, Heinrich Schiff (with the Halle/Elder), or of course Du Pre, but I do always love hearing new recordings of this work which is a favourite. And anyway, who knows? ;)

Anyone heard it yet?

[asin]B007BGU64G[/asin]
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Pretty exciting: Andreas Staier is coming out with a new recording of the Diabelli Variations, which includes as filler the variations composed by Czerny, Hummel, Schubert, an 11-year-old Liszt, Mozart's son, Kalkbrenner, Moscheles - and one Andreas Staier. Fortepiano after Conrad Graf.

Antoine Marchand

Quote from: Brian on April 19, 2012, 06:02:45 PM
Pretty exciting: Andreas Staier is coming out with a new recording of the Diabelli Variations, which includes as filler the variations composed by Czerny, Hummel, Schubert, an 11-year-old Liszt, Mozart's son, Kalkbrenner, Moscheles - and one Andreas Staier. Fortepiano after Conrad Graf.

Nice cover!  :)

Antoine Marchand

Mirror Image

New recordings coming out that I'm definitely buying:

[asin]B007N0SWQE[/asin]

It's been a LONG wait on this Koechlin recording. Glad to see it's finally seeing the light of day.

[asin]B007N0SVTC[/asin]

Another 20th Century Portuguese composer. That's all I need to know. :)

[asin]B007HOEZZI[/asin]

I've been wanting to explore Krenek's symphonies for quite some time and this CPO set looks like a good introduction.

[asin]B007C4T7K6[/asin]

This needs no explanation.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2012, 08:19:17 AM
[asin]B007HOEZZI[/asin]

I've been wanting to explore Krenek's symphonies for quite some time and this CPO set looks like a good introduction.

Interesting. My curiosity is poised to be piqued.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 08:54:22 AM

Have you heard any of Krenek's music, Karl?

Karl Henning

Not (or, hardly) a note, John. I've know of Jonny spielt auf! forever . . . and, since that did not sound at all my thing, I probably categorized Krenek as Not For Me at an early stage.  I see that the later symphonies were written in the '40s, though . . . would be interested in giving them a listen.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 09:22:28 AM
Not (or, hardly) a note, John. I've know of Jonny spielt auf! forever . . . and, since that did not sound at all my thing, I probably categorized Krenek as Not For Me at an early stage.  I see that the later symphonies were written in the '40s, though . . . would be interested in giving them a listen.
Krenek is a very versatile composer, and I don't regard the Johnny spielt auf as typical at all. There's a wonderful disc of choral works on Harmonia Mundi Gold under Marcus Creed that you really should try.

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 08:54:22 AM

I have the complete set of Krenek Symphonies Karl, and I think they are worth your attention!

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on April 25, 2012, 09:22:28 AM

You can go to YouTube and sample some of his symphonies. The user WelleszCompany has a bunch of Krenek's music uploaded.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Mirror Image on April 25, 2012, 08:19:17 AM

[asin]B007C4T7K6[/asin]

This needs no explanation.

Ooo, a 19-minute final movement for DSCH 15th, sold!

(gosh I'm a sucker for this piece)

Antoine Marchand

... well, these harpsichord concertos (on Aeolus) look like a mandatory item for Bachians:

QuoteIntroduction:

In 2012, too, there are prominent treasures to be found: Aapo Häkkinen plays Bach's Concertos for solo harpsichord and strings – the crown jewels of the harpsichord and piano literature – on a 16' harpsichord, that is to say, an instrument with an additional, very low sounding register. Although Bach probably used a similar harpsichord himself, this is the first recording of this cycle of works on an instrument of this kind built in a historical manner!

Vol. 2 will contain: BWV 1054, 1055, and 1057. The Helsinki Baroque Orchestra plays one on a part, and is obliged to the best Baroque traditions. As an "encore," so to speak, the CD also contains Bach's famous Italian Concerto for harpsichord solo – on the 16' instrument, it is an amazing sonic experience!

http://www.aeolus-music.com/ae_en/All-Discs/AE10057-Bach-Johann-Sebastian-Concerti-a-Cembalo-concertato-Vol.1