Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antoine Marchand

Not exactly new, but...

UE: Abeille Musique

USA: Allegro Music

:)

Brian

Logging in from work for an alert: Hyperion has once again scored a recording of a Gigantic Orchestral Behemoth.

Coming in August 2012: Turangalila Symphony with the Bergen PO, Juan Jose Mena (cond.), Steven Osborne (piano), Cynthia Millar (ondes martenot)

Karl Henning

I sometimes imagine Bruce Springsteen singing ondes martenot to his tune "Pink Cadillac" . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on April 30, 2012, 09:27:23 AM
Logging in from work for an alert: Hyperion has once again scored a recording of a Gigantic Orchestral Behemoth.

Coming in August 2012: Turangalila Symphony with the Bergen PO, Juan Jose Mena (cond.), Steven Osborne (piano), Cynthia Millar (ondes martenot)

Not quite as special (and not half the size) as the Gothic, though... given that there are more than a dozen of (largely) excellent recordings of it already available. (Chailly, Chung, Previn, Ozawa, Rattle, Nagano, Janowski, Wit (!), Tortelier, Salonen, Cambreling (!), and whoever else I'm overlooking (like T.Fischer or H.Vonk or De Froment or Le Roux).

Karl Henning

Thierry Fischer, eh? I have a disc of his with the Netherlands Wind Ensemble (or some similar), an all-Stravinsky program which is very nice. I am intrigued!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

madaboutmahler

hmmmmm....

[asin]B002V9I74O[/asin]

I wonder what Alsop is like in Mahler. Any ideas?

Coming out around September in England... ;)
"Music is ... A higher revelation than all Wisdom & Philosophy"
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 02, 2012, 10:33:39 AM
hmmmmm....

[asin]B002V9I74O[/asin]

Considering what I've heard from her, it's probably rhythmically slack and uninspired. I'd definitely pass on that disc, Daniel.

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2012, 11:09:15 AM
Considering what I've heard from her, it's probably rhythmically slack and uninspired. I'd definitely pass on that disc, Daniel.

Thank you for your advice, John. :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Mirror Image

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 02, 2012, 01:52:02 PM
Thank you for your advice, John. :)

Not only that but you're lacking a lot of Mahler classic recordings and you want to get something by Alsop? Don't worry, I'm here to set you straight. :D

madaboutmahler

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2012, 01:54:32 PM
Not only that but you're lacking a lot of Mahler classic recordings and you want to get something by Alsop? Don't worry, I'm here to set you straight. :D

haha, I can always trust you to do that, John! :)
Yes - and I really want the MTT cycle!!!!! :)
— Ludwig van Beethoven

Brian

Quote from: madaboutmahler on May 02, 2012, 10:33:39 AM
hmmmmm....

[asin]B002V9I74O[/asin]

Glorious cover. I saw her Mahler One live with the Houston Symphony; it was a few years ago, when I was less enthused about Mahler, but her way with the finale had a clarity, shape, and energy about it that, along with Kubelik/audite, finally sold me on that movement. In fact her energy was what I remembered most about it, besides the feeling of "ah! I finally get it."

That said, I don't know that she+Baltimore are the most inspired pairing for new recordings... having seen Wit/Warsaw do 3 last year, I can tell you that if they had Wit re-record a couple of the symphonies to go with his newish 8th the results would be spellbinding.

P.S. A September release? How'd you find out about it? I only know the Naxos releases through June. Speaking of Naxos in June...

Oh, now looking at Amazon UK I see these:
RAVEL: Orchestral Music Vol. 1 (Naxos: 8572887)
1. Alborada del gracioso
2. Pavane pour une infante défunte
3. Boléro
4. Rapsodie espagnole
5. Piece en forme de Habanera
6. Shéhérazade
7. Menuet antique
Orchestre National de Lyon, Leonard Slatkin
November 2012

BERLIOZ: Symphonie fantastique (includes alternative version of Un bal with Cornet Obbligato) (Naxos: 8572886)
Orchestre National de Lyon, Leonard Slatkin
September 2012

...neither of which I am at all excited about  :-X

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on May 02, 2012, 02:55:21 PM
Glorious cover. I saw her Mahler One live with the Houston Symphony; it was a few years ago, when I was less enthused about Mahler, but her way with the finale had a clarity, shape, and energy about it that, along with Kubelik/audite, finally sold me on that movement. In fact her energy was what I remembered most about it, besides the feeling of "ah! I finally get it."

That said, I don't know that she+Baltimore are the most inspired pairing for new recordings... having seen Wit/Warsaw do 3 last year, I can tell you that if they had Wit re-record a couple of the symphonies to go with his newish 8th the results would be spellbinding.

P.S. A September release? How'd you find out about it? I only know the Naxos releases through June. Speaking of Naxos in June...

Perhaps live she's a different story, her recordings, on the other hand, would cure insomnia! I actually laughed at her performance of Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin. Not a nice thing to do, but I just couldn't help myself.

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2012, 03:12:28 PM
Perhaps live she's a different story, her recordings, on the other hand, would cure insomnia! I actually laughed at her performance of Bartok's The Miraculous Mandarin. Not a nice thing to do, but I just couldn't help myself.

That may well be the case. I saw her 'Planets' live in London (coupled with Adams' Doctor Atomic Symphony) and it was on the fast and furious side of things, very exciting and showy. The Adams stole the show, though - a riveting experience. I hope they get her recording that.

Mirror Image

I wish Naxos would put their efforts into releasing more Berg recordings particularly with better conductors and orchestras since now they seem to employ them. I'd like to see a whole Second Viennese School box set. Now wouldn't that be cool? 8) They already have Schoenberg covered and can just incorporate Craft's excellent performances into the set.

Karl Henning

Berg is largely covered elsewhere. Naxos should do a Mennin series!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2012, 04:14:16 PM

No, they should finish their Diamond cycle first!!!!

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: karlhenning on May 02, 2012, 04:14:16 PM

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 02, 2012, 04:16:58 PM
No, they should finish their Diamond cycle first!!!!

Wrong, both of you! A Henning cycle!!!

Karl Henning

Henning! The People Demand!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Mirror Image

I would like to see more Latin American recordings on Naxos. A new Chavez symphony cycle would be nice.

Cato

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 02, 2012, 04:19:01 PM
Wrong, both of you! A Henning cycle!!!

What should be on the first NAXOS Henning offering?

I will vote for: Out In The Sun. Nuhro, Sonata for Viola and Piano, Song of Simeon, and two future works, one in progress, the Dostoyevsky ballet White Nights, and then a work that even Karl does not know that he is composing yet, but he will, namely Variations on Achy Breaky Heart  :o    for Krummhorn, Kazoo, and Prepared Kitchen Sink.   
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)