New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on May 02, 2012, 05:29:36 PM
Out in the Sun for sure, my favorite from the Henningmusik collection.

Thank you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethevich on May 05, 2012, 10:21:00 PM
This would go in the "recordings you are looking forward to" thread, but, etc...:

It's out in August and looks neato.

Awesome, Lethe! I'm definitely buying this! Bloch is a favorite of mine.

Mirror Image

Looking forward to this one:

[asin]B007VLHPEU[/asin]

Comes out June 12th in the US.

The new erato

Salonen used to look better.

Brian

Quote from: chasmaniac on May 07, 2012, 04:22:11 AM
Arkiv now lists the contents: http://www.arkivmusic.com/classical/album.jsp?album_id=733915

10 CDs for $23? I have interest in only 3-4 of the works but at that price and with performers I love as much as those...

Lethevich

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 07, 2012, 06:58:55 AM
Awesome, Lethe! I'm definitely buying this! Bloch is a favorite of mine.

I am especially interested because these are all warhorse pieces, but especially the Bloch are no longer recorded very often. So there are tons of recordings from the 50s-80s, but one in modern sound would be great.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

North Star

Available at Amazon UK since yesterday - June 26th at the US site
[asin]B007O40PTG[/asin]

Russian pianist Alexei Lubimov, recognised as an outstanding advocate of post-Soviet composition – performing Schnittke, Part, and Silvestrov amongst his acclaimed ECM New Series recordings – now turns his talents to Debussy in the year of the 150th anniversary of his birth. On this 2-CD set Lubimov plays both books of Préludes and, with his young student Alexei Zuev, the Trois Nocturnes in Ravel's two-piano transcription as well as a two-piano arrangement of Debussy's seminal orchestral masterpiece, Prélude à l'après-midi d'un fauneDebussy decried the concept of musical impressionism because he feared, rightly, that superficial refinement would degenerate into musical mist, concealing the subtleties of a new musical idiom and its structural logic. So, for example, instead of heading his 24 Préludes with programmatic titles, he appended them at the bottom of the individual pieces. Even though their popularity makes it almost impossible, perhaps listeners ought simply to forget about the titles and recall something else that Debussy once said: "Music is a free art gushing forth, an open-air art boundless as the elements, the wind, the sky, the sea." It is in this manner – sans rigeur, as Debussy repeatedly marked his music – that Lubimov performs the Préludes. Searching for an inspiring special sound – he wanted to hear Debussy in a different timbral guise, cloaked in early 20th-century colours – Lubimov "stumbled on two excellent pianos that truly seduced me and breathed fresh life into the music. The stunning beauty and nobility of their sound and their highly distinctive voices prompted me to find new solutions and gave me new levels of pleasure. I decided to record the two volumes of Préludes on two different pianos: a 1925 Bechstein clear, sharply etched, translucent and light, even in complex textures) and a Steinway from 1913 (divinely soft in pianissimo, resonant and marvellously suitable for unexpected colours). It is said that the great Polish pianist Paderewski chose this Steinway and played it in his recitals."

And this, too:
[asin]B007OZSZNI[/asin]

Dennis Russell Davies has had a long-running and highly productive association with the Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra – documented on exceptional ECM recordings of repertoire from Mozart via Stravinsky and Part to Kancheli – and is currently the orchestra's Conductor Laureate. Here he leads them through spirited performances of Bartok's Divertimento, the ever popular Romanian Folk Dances, and Seven Songs (for which the orchestra is joined by the Hungarian Radio Children's Choir). This selection of lively Bartok pieces is viewed through the prism of Witold Lutoslawski's Musique funebre, written in memory of the great Hungarian composer, and first performed on the 10th anniversary of Bartok's death. It's an important, and moving, piece - and one which also led to international recognition for Lutoslawski, Bartok's Polish kindred spirit. The Divertimento for strings was Bartok's last composition in Europe before emigrating to the US. It adapts Hungarian local colour in a manner that documents his despondency and can still cause shivers in listeners today. He was probably aware that with this work in 1939 he was not only taking leave of Europe and his traditions. He must also have sensed that Europe as he knew it was about to disappear into the darkness of history. The least known works here are undoubtedly the Seven Songs, taken from a collection of 27 by Bartok. These choruses on folk texts were created for Kodaly's educational programme. Like the Romanian Folk Dances of 1915 (which were orchestrated a couple of years later), they are not folksong arrangements but rather original compositions "in the style of folk music". Wolfgang Sandner comments in his booklet notes: "They reveal a personality trait that one rarely comes across to such an extent in his other compositions: serenity; one is tempted to call it a sunny disposition, not clouded by social adversity. "Hey, life, glorious life, / This is the life, the glorious life!" are the last lines of the wooing song Csujogató, and that is how Bartok's original music sounds: joyous, beautiful and pure." Personnel: Hungarian Radio Children's Choir (tracks 6-12), Stuttgart Chamber Orchestra, Dennis Russell Davies (conductor)
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

A programme that interests me very much.

[asin]B007X8ZDZE[/asin]

This original program brings together composers from 4 centuries: from Kerll, Couperin, Buxtehude and the monumental Passacaglia in C minor by J.S. Bach, far into the 20-th century with Reger, Shostakovich and Jan Welmers.

Recorded on the magnificent Martti Pothan organ Kotka Church in Sweden, by young virtuoso Matthias Havinga, whose earlier recording on this organ (Brilliant Classics 94203) with Italian Concertos by J.S. Bach received enthusiastic reviews in the press.

Bach, J S: Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor, BWV582
Buxtehude: Passacaglia in D minor, BuxWV161
Couperin, F: Pièces de clavecin II: Ordre 8ème in B minor: Passacaille
Kerll: Passacaglia in D minor -- Edited by C. David Harris
Mendelssohn: Passacaglia in C minor
Reger: Introduction and Passacaglia
Shostakovich: Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk: Passacaglia
Welmers: Passacaglia

Matthias Havinga (Martti Porthan organ in Kotka Church, Sweden)
Regards,
Navneeth

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Opus106 on May 08, 2012, 06:53:53 AM
A programme that interests me very much.

[asin]B007X8ZDZE[/asin]

This original program brings together composers from 4 centuries: from Kerll, Couperin, Buxtehude and the monumental Passacaglia in C minor by J.S. Bach, far into the 20-th century with Reger, Shostakovich and Jan Welmers.

Recorded on the magnificent Martti Pothan organ Kotka Church in Sweden, by young virtuoso Matthias Havinga, whose earlier recording on this organ (Brilliant Classics 94203) with Italian Concertos by J.S. Bach received enthusiastic reviews in the press.

Bach, J S: Passacaglia & Fugue in C minor, BWV582
Buxtehude: Passacaglia in D minor, BuxWV161
Kerll: Passacaglia in D minor -- Edited by C. David Harris
Mendelssohn: Passacaglia in C minor
Reger: Introduction and Passacaglia
Shostakovich: Lady Macbeth of Mtsensk: Passacaglia
Welmers: Passacaglia

Matthias Havinga (Martti Porthan organ in Kotka Church, Sweden)

He is a very good organ player, but this mix of composers is not my thing at all. And certainly no Reger, his works for organ do not appeal to me.

Opus106

Quote from: Harry on May 08, 2012, 06:56:36 AM
He is a very good organ player, but this mix of composers is not my thing at all. And certainly no Reger, his works for organ do not appeal to me.

And I, as someone who doesn't mind listening to a fugue every other minute, haven't even heard Reger's organ music -- something that must be corrected ASAP. As for the disc, the attraction to me obviously is the musical form, and the mix of composers adds some variety to it, to show how it was used at different periods in time, which I find interesting, perhaps even potentially educational(!).
Regards,
Navneeth

Willoughby earl of Itacarius

Quote from: Opus106 on May 08, 2012, 07:04:08 AM
And I, as someone who doesn't mind listening to a fugue every other minute, haven't even heard Reger's organ music -- something that must be corrected ASAP. As for the disc, the attraction to me obviously is the musical form, and the mix of composers adds some variety to it, to show how it was used at different periods in time, which I find interesting, perhaps even potentially educational(!).

Sure my friend, this I well understand. :)

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on May 08, 2012, 06:53:53 AM

Ah, and to think that there is a marvelous Passacaille in C by Louis which would fit such a program very nicely . . . !
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

jlaurson

It's a truism of record collecting, that the rarer and harder to get a disc or a set, the more esteemed it is among the self-declared cognoscenti.

That's especially true if there are two (or more) versions of a work by the same performers.

That rule is being put to the test when Regis re(re)leases the mono set of Wilhelm Kempff's Beethoven Sonatas. (Which I actually do think is superior to his stereo re-make, as I find it more playful and easy-going.) (Out May 21st.)

Also:

G.Mahler,
Symphony No.9
Bernard Haitink / BRSO
BR Klassik 900113

Mirror Image

Quote from: Lethevich on May 07, 2012, 10:24:18 PM
I am especially interested because these are all warhorse pieces, but especially the Bloch are no longer recorded very often. So there are tons of recordings from the 50s-80s, but one in modern sound would be great.

I don't recall A Voice In The Wilderness being a workhorse piece at all. I know Schelomo was one of Bloch's most popular works. Anyway, yes, the recording should be good especially since Ilan Volkov is conducting who has really impressed me with several of his past recordings.

Que

.[asin]B007CMTNSO[/asin]

Q

Lethevich

I hope there will be a vol.2 - if I recall correctly the original series combined chamber works with solo piano?
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

Que

Quote from: Lethevich on May 13, 2012, 07:20:30 PM
I hope there will be a vol.2 - if I recall correctly the original series combined chamber works with solo piano?

Yes, I read that an issue with the solo piano works would follow. :)

Q

North Star

€ 33.32 at Amazon.fr that Le Sage (chamber works)
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007CMTNSO/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Both this and the solo work box are very interesting indeed
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

Opus106

Quote from: North Star on May 14, 2012, 05:50:00 AM
€ 33.32 at Amazon.fr that Le Sage (chamber works)
http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007CMTNSO/?tag=goodmusicguideco

Both this and the solo work box are very interesting indeed

The appropriate tag for the French website is 'goodmusicgu0a-21'.

http://www.amazon.fr/exec/obidos/ASIN/B007CMTNSO/?tag=goodmusicgu0a-21

:)
Regards,
Navneeth

Brian

Oh gosh. Daniel Barenboim's Beethoven symphony cycle came out in, what, 2000? And it was, what, excellent-to-classic? And now he's releasing a new cycle with the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra. Anything to make a buck. I hope it's almost as good as the first set. Someone else can listen and find out.