Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Papy Oli

Out in in October :

[asin]B008BOWG68[/asin]

[asin]B008BOWG7C[/asin]
Olivier

The new erato

The Tokyo I was aware of, but this is the first I've heard of the Ormandy. I have his Shosty 14 on LP and quite like it, but overall I would rather have seen a Szell box.

jlaurson

Quote from: Papy Oli on July 23, 2012, 12:13:09 PM

L.v.Beethoven
Complete String Quartets
Tokyo String Quartet
(First Cycle)
RCA

That was my first LvB Quartet cycle... and I think it got lost in one of the moves. Probably in a transatlantic M-Bag.
If I ever feel the need to replace it, it's good to know it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Brian

How's that Tokyo Beethoven? Comp/contrast with the harmonia mundi Tokyo Beethoven, anyone?

Isabelle Faust is completing her solo Bach:

North Star

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2012, 01:08:39 PM
How's that Tokyo Beethoven? Comp/contrast with the harmonia mundi Tokyo Beethoven, anyone?

Isabelle Faust is completing her solo Bach:

That's great news, what I've heard from the first volume is superb.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on July 23, 2012, 01:08:39 PM

I like some of the early quartets in the HM Tokyo Cycle, but the late ones I wasn't happy with it at all. Memory doesn't serve me well enough to remember the finer interpretative points of the first cycle, but the technical aspects were better handled. But of course part of the reason for the second cycle was that they now play on one of the two Stradivari SQ4t sets that the Nippon Foundation bought for them when the Corcoran Gallery had a bake-sale of all their musical instruments.

mc ukrneal

I have been considering getting one of these individual discs for ages, but now it looks like I waited so long that they put them all together in a set!
[asin]B0085U0GY2[/asin]
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

I've just been playing this. Disc 1 (in the listening thread) and Saturday disc 3 (Cramer; new to me) and a reasonably lightweight Schubert Trout (compared to more traditional, romantic versions). Great value this set (I have disc 2 as a single issue from before, so it's not a priority to play that again, but it is very fine).

mc ukrneal

Quote from: The new erato on July 30, 2012, 12:47:47 AM
I've just been playing this. Disc 1 (in the listening thread) and Saturday disc 3 (Cramer; new to me) and a reasonably lightweight Schubert Trout (compared to more traditional, romantic versions). Great value this set (I have disc 2 as a single issue from before, so it's not a priority to play that again, but it is very fine).
I missed that! Although, the release comes out in another month in the US, so I still feel I was in the right thread at the time. But now I am stuck somewhere in between. :)
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

The new erato

Quote from: mc ukrneal on July 30, 2012, 01:04:12 AM
I missed that! Although, the release comes out in another month in the US, so I still feel I was in the right thread at the time. But now I am stuck somewhere in between. :)
Play this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DohRa9lsx0Q

Brian

Erato, that's pretty comprehensive (includes 'La parade') although I guess I'm going to have to assume that the several very early Ravel works listed on Wikipedia (including a set of variations on Grieg's Ase's Death) must be lost.

-

This September, Naxos begins a series of the Villa-Lobos symphonies!

These also look intriguing.

eyeresist

Quote from: Brian on August 01, 2012, 03:03:28 PMThis September, Naxos begins a series of the Villa-Lobos symphonies!

They were just waiting for Mirror Image to leave first ;)

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on August 01, 2012, 03:03:28 PM

This September, Naxos begins a series of the Villa-Lobos symphonies!

So CPO will no longer be the only game in town.  And Sao Paulo, too.... have they moved to Naxos from BIS?

These also look intriguing.

[

I like his complete Dowland very much (now issued on Brilliant).   This should be rewarding.

Brian

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 01, 2012, 07:01:50 PM
So CPO will no longer be the only game in town.  And Sao Paulo, too.... have they moved to Naxos from BIS?

I like his complete Dowland very much (now issued on Brilliant).   This should be rewarding.

Sao Paulo moved from BIS to Naxos I think because of the conductor situation - the departure of John Neschling and the arrival of Marin Alsop.

And I actually listened to the Lindberg disc already! Click

kishnevi

Quote from: Brian on August 01, 2012, 08:24:23 PM
Sao Paulo moved from BIS to Naxos I think because of the conductor situation - the departure of John Neschling and the arrival of Marin Alsop.

And I actually listened to the Lindberg disc already! Click

So I saw.  I had the same reaction to the cover photo, btw.

jlaurson

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 01, 2012, 07:01:50 PM
So CPO will no longer be the only game in town [for Villa-Lobos].  And Sao Paulo, too.... have they moved to Naxos from BIS?

A.) Finally. I've long maintained that, uneven as the music is, the CPO performances don't do the music justice -- and are played based on scores that -- so I've been told -- are not particularly accurate or good. Now we can see hear if that was indeed the case.

The Sao Paulo Orchestra Association (OSESP), which is much more than just an orchestra, has collected, edited, and issued the new (as for now definitive) scores of these symphonies and they long had plans to make recordings of them. Glad to see that come to fruition, at last.

B.) "Moved to NAXOS" -- it's all a matter of who is willing to release the music for them... and Brian is right: As Alsop moved down there (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/02/side-notes-marin-alsop-nova-regente-em.html) it made it Naxos an obvious choice. Good as far as distribution is concerned -- they'll reach more people. Perhaps a minor step down as far as label-reputation is concerned.

Karl Henning

Quote from: jlaurson on August 02, 2012, 03:45:17 AM
A.) Finally. I've long maintained that, uneven as the music is, the CPO performances don't do the music justice -- and are played based on scores that -- so I've been told -- are not particularly accurate or good. Now we can see hear if that was indeed the case.

The Sao Paulo Orchestra Association (OESP), which is much more than just an orchestra, has collected, edited, and issued the new (as for now definitive) scores of these symphonies and they long had plans to make recordings of them. Glad to see that come to fruition, at last.

B.) "Moved to NAXOS" -- it's all a matter of who is willing to release the music for them... and Brian is right: As Alsop moved down there (http://ionarts.blogspot.com/2011/02/side-notes-marin-alsop-nova-regente-em.html) it made it Naxos an obvious choice. Good as far as distribution is concerned -- they'll reach more people. Perhaps a minor step down as far as label-reputation is concerned.

That's all good.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

not edward

Steven Isserlis and Thomas Ades have a cello/piano recital disc coming out on Hyperion that looks quite interesting to me:

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67948

(Liszt, Janacek, Faure, Kurtag, Ades.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

kishnevi

Turns out that Wagner box is one of a series

(not just operas--includes a piano concerto and two chamber works for all three of which Solti was the pianist)

If you want complete listings, go to Prestoclassical and input "Solti Edition" for the search