New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wakefield

Quote from: Que on November 07, 2012, 12:49:33 PM
Stumbled upon some interesting new box sets on Naïve! :)

[asin]B008XKWAX4[/asin][asin]B008XKWAXE[/asin]
[asin]B008Y1OKQM[/asin][asin]B008Y1OKP8[/asin]
[asin]B008Y1OKOY[/asin]

Less recent:

[asin]B007AKFVZC[/asin][asin]B005PZFE1U[/asin]

Q

The discs of that Sacred Music box set are strictly amazing. Just saying.  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Wakefield

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Que

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on November 17, 2012, 07:11:16 AM
A new (and great) re-release:

12 CDs

http://www.warnerclassics.com/release,FransBruggenEdition_6166.htm

http://www.grainger.de/dbe/cds/reccds/brueggen14.html

Niiiiccceee!! :) :) Definitely on shopping list!

Pity there is not - apart from the modest Dutch 75th anniversary edition - an edition devoted to Brüggen the conductor. Maybe Universal thinks it is too soon for that? ::) (Though he is 78 now..)

Q

Opus106

Quote from: Que on November 17, 2012, 08:25:50 AM
Maybe Universal thinks it is too soon for that? ::) (Though he is 78 now..)

Q

80 is the golden number.

Regards,
Navneeth

Wakefield

Graupner and the chalumeaux look like an interesting offer, isn't it?  :)

[asin]B0081VMIMS[/asin]
-- Voltaire

Wanderer

.[asin]B000VXLHWG[/asin]

On Blu-ray.

Brian

What the!

Analekta new release of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (Ensemble Caprice), with a twist:

"This is no ordinary recording of J.S. Bach's six masterpieces of Baroque instrumental music. For starters, the pieces are interwoven with period-instrument transcriptions of piano music written in the early 1950s by Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich. It seems like a crazy mishmash, unless you happen to know that Shostakovich drew inspiration for his Op. 87 set of 24 preludes and fugues directly from Bach. With clever, colourful instrumentation and judicious transposition into
different keys by Montreal-based Matthias Maute, old and newer compositions coexist as complements, shedding light back and forth on each other."

Que

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on November 18, 2012, 03:01:29 PM
Graupner and the chalumeaux look like an interesting offer, isn't it?  :)

[asin]B0081VMIMS[/asin]

Indeed! :) I spotted that as well. Will have to make a comparison with the Veilhan recordings.

Q

kishnevi

Quote from: Que on November 19, 2012, 09:53:19 AM
Indeed! :) I spotted that as well. Will have to make a comparison with the Veilhan recordings.

Q

Thank you.  Letzbor has yet to let me down on the three of his recordings I have,  so hopefully this will be four in a row.

Que

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 19, 2012, 06:06:26 PM
Thank you.  Letzbor has yet to let me down on the three of his recordings I have,  so hopefully this will be four in a row.

And good to see he found a new home at Challenge Records after the demise of Symphonia (rec. now being reissued on Pan Classics), where he moved after the demise of ARCANA (resurrected and rec. available again).

His recording with Bernarda Fink of Francesco Conti's Cantate con istromenti is for me the jewel in the crown sofar. I always hope there will one day be a sequel to that with the remaining cantatas - maybe Challenge will be up to the challenge! ;D

Q

North Star

Quote from: Brian on November 19, 2012, 09:24:51 AM
What the!

Analekta new release of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos (Ensemble Caprice), with a twist:

"This is no ordinary recording of J.S. Bach's six masterpieces of Baroque instrumental music. For starters, the pieces are interwoven with period-instrument transcriptions of piano music written in the early 1950s by Russian composer Dmitri Shostakovich. It seems like a crazy mishmash, unless you happen to know that Shostakovich drew inspiration for his Op. 87 set of 24 preludes and fugues directly from Bach. With clever, colourful instrumentation and judicious transposition into
different keys by Montreal-based Matthias Maute, old and newer compositions coexist as complements, shedding light back and forth on each other."

Interesting. They seem to have omitted the '& Fugues' part of the pieces title, even though the first track on the album is a fugue (but that is the only one). The album is on Spotify, I'll probably listen to it when I have time.
"Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it." - Confucius

My photographs on Flickr

The new erato

Quote from: Que on November 19, 2012, 09:51:54 PM
His recording with Bernarda Fink of Francesco Conti's Cantate con istromenti is for me the jewel in the crown sofar. I always hope there will one day be a sequel to that with the remaining cantatas - maybe Challenge will be up to the challenge! ;D

Q
I think we exchanged views of that in my time as a juvenile on this forum - and I cannot say how much I am in agreement, though I fear this ship has sailed. Caldara and Conti is two Vienna based baroque composers whose flag need to be flown in a more externsive way by some dedicated label (though not to say that we don't soprely need more Hasse, Bononcini and Porpora.....).

Brian

In January, Louis Lortie and Edward Gardner team up for Szymanowski's Symphony No 4.

Measuring up to the recent Broja/Wit will be a stiff challenge, but Edward Gardner's Polish music series is going very well so far.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2012, 09:38:48 AM
In January, Louis Lortie and Edward Gardner team up for Szymanowski's Symphony No 4.

Measuring up to the recent Broja/Wit will be a stiff challenge, but Edward Gardner's Polish music series is going very well so far.

Excellent! Will definitely be buying it. Thanks for the heads-up, Brian. Szymanowski is a favorite of mine.

Brian

Here are two more January releases.

Bergen/Litton duplicating the program from maybe Vasily Petrenko's best CD yet; Christian Poltera playing Barber's cello music.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on November 21, 2012, 09:46:17 AM
Here are two more January releases.

Bergen/Litton duplicating the program from maybe Vasily Petrenko's best CD yet; Christian Poltera playing Barber's cello music.

Yawn.

TheGSMoeller

Mirror Image

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on November 21, 2012, 01:51:36 PM

Way to go, John. Now Dudamel is pissed.

Yeah, but not as pissed as Rattle:

Daverz

Wakefield

.[asin]B0072IVGSI[/asin]

This disc will apparently be a winner, as usually happens with every recording touched by Mrs. Huggett:

http://www.youtube.com/v/gEeQaYoAAAM

:)

-- Voltaire