New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Que

Did we already post this? :)

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Orgelwerke-Gesamtaufnahme-auf-Silbermann-Orgeln-SACD/hnum/3172801

Ewald Kooiman; Ute Gremmel-Geuchen; Gerhard Gnann; Bernhard Klapprott (Organ)

This is the first complete Johann Sebastian Bach Organ Edition on Super Audio CD available in surround sound and played on famous historic organs on a label which is famous for it's experience with organ recordings. In the same time it is a very precious and detailed documentation of the Silbermann organ tradition in the Alsace and includes the most beautiful and important instruments of this organ builder dynasty.

All the recordings have been realized simultaneously in two channel stereo and in five channel surround sound with state of the art equipment using the famous DPA 4006 microphones all over.
The booklet texts have been written by the German musicologist Peter Wollny (Bach-Archiv Leipzig) and by the Alsatian Silbermann expert Marc Schaefer (on the instruments).

I must admit that so far I have never been so keen on Bach performed on Silbermann organs - it's quite another game altogether...

Q

The new erato

Quote from: Opus106 on December 26, 2012, 09:14:21 PM
[Paging Ilaria]

New Old Release:

[asin]B00AMUONT2[/asin]

[Spotted at DE]

Even with 50 discs, I wonder if it will cover all the solo piano and his conducting, let alone concerti and chamber music.
Especially as it, as an original jacket collection, mostly will contain 30 CDs worth of music.

trung224

Quote from: Octave on December 26, 2012, 04:32:44 PM
I ran across mention of new EMI Icon releases for early 2013: Constantin Silvestri, Brigitte Fassbaender, Arturo Toscanini, Boris Christoff, and John McCormack.  I saw these listed as forthcoming releases in an "EMI Icon" search under the "Klassik" shop at Amazon.de.  Only front covers when I checked; no track listings or back cover pics.  I am especially happy about the Fassbaender and Christoff!  Too bad I bought her WINTERREISE just a week ago; it will make a chilly gift to some friend.
Yeah. At last, the Silvestri icon' boxset will be release. If you want the interesting (but unconventional) way of Russian and Eastern European music, Silvestri is your man.

Opus106

[Paging Ilaria]

New Old Release:

[asin]B00AMUONT2[/asin]

[Spotted at DE]

Even with 50 discs, I wonder if it will cover all the solo piano and his conducting, let alone concerti and chamber music.

Quote from: The new erato on December 27, 2012, 12:48:53 AM
Especially as it, as an original jacket collection, mostly will contain 30 CDs worth of music.

Complete track listing available at Decca Classics. 5 CDs of Shostakovich -- enough said.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on December 27, 2012, 04:28:39 AM
Complete track listing available at Decca Classics. 5 CDs of Shostakovich -- enough said.

Generous programming, to be sure.

But, oh, Decca, you oafs:

Quote from: DeccaViolin Concerto No.1 in A minor, Op.99 (formerly Op.77)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

You left off [citation needed] ; )

Classic example of brain-mush being self-published on Wikipedia.  Someone convert "the time-lag between composition and performance is the reason that it was originally listed as Opus 77" into intelligent English.

And we love the especially weaselly passive voice here: "Opus 77 was then allocated to Three Pieces for Orchestra." (God bless Wikipedia: this is the first I ever learnt any such thing. And the most important bit of information here — who did the re-allocating — is conveniently omitted.)

And this was "due to [the] fact" that "Shostakovich shelved the concerto until after Stalin's demise, and then released the concerto under the Opus 99 numeration."  The dodgy logical connection aside, while I should revisit the relevant passage in Fay, the composer "releasing the concerto under the Opus 99 numeration" strikes me as mistaking the relation between Shostakovich and publisher for the publication culture of the West.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

Quote from: sanantonio on December 27, 2012, 06:23:01 AM
Since my first and primary exposure to the work was the David Oistrakh recording, which uses the Op. 99 I did not find anything dodgy about that numeration.

Ho capito, and I have seen that cover : )

This Sunday I should have more time for a better-documented post. I thought I had posted somewhat, over at the Dacha, but . . . maybe not.

FWIW, there's another Wikipedia page, where it reads:

Quote•Op. 77: Violin Concerto No. 1 in A minor (1947–1948, originally published as Op. 99

. . . with a footnote to The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2012, 08:01:54 AM
Ho capito, and I have seen that cover : )

This Sunday I should have more time for a better-documented post. I thought I had posted somewhat, over at the Dacha, but . . . maybe not.

FWIW, there's another Wikipedia page, where it reads:

. . . with a footnote to The Concise Oxford Dictionary of Music.

As you said, this is mentioned in Laurel Fay's biography (as an end-note on page 329). But Amazon's sneak-peek thingy is not conducive to copying text to the clipboard. The gist, however, is this: initially assigned 99 to chronologically match the date of first performance, then reassigned to 77, to match the date of composition. 99 is currently provided to the music for the film The First Echelon.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

prémont

Quote from: Que on December 27, 2012, 12:42:42 AM
Did we already post this? :)

http://www.jpc.de/jpcng/classic/detail/-/art/Johann-Sebastian-Bach-1685-1750-Orgelwerke-Gesamtaufnahme-auf-Silbermann-Orgeln-SACD/hnum/3172801

Ewald Kooiman; Ute Gremmel-Geuchen; Gerhard Gnann; Bernhard Klapprott (Organ)

This is the first complete Johann Sebastian Bach Organ Edition on Super Audio CD available in surround sound and played on famous historic organs on a label which is famous for it's experience with organ recordings. In the same time it is a very precious and detailed documentation of the Silbermann organ tradition in the Alsace and includes the most beautiful and important instruments of this organ builder dynasty.

All the recordings have been realized simultaneously in two channel stereo and in five channel surround sound with state of the art equipment using the famous DPA 4006 microphones all over.
The booklet texts have been written by the German musicologist Peter Wollny (Bach-Archiv Leipzig) and by the Alsatian Silbermann expert Marc Schaefer (on the instruments).

I must admit that so far I have never been so keen on Bach performed on Silbermann organs - it's quite another game altogether...

Q

This is Bach on Andreas Silbermann organs, more French in concept than Gottfried Silbermann organs. Maybe not that obvious for Bach´s organ music. I am afraid, that this long expected release will disappoint, not the least because the Kooiman-pupils share the lions share of the recordings. Never-the-less I have (of course) ordered it.
γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Brian

Coming in 2013: the complete Beethoven symphonies (Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Joshua Bell) and the complete Lutoslawski symphonies (Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen).

Opus106

D. 946 on an 1826 Conrad Graf. And D. 960 on the Conrad Graf, on a Steinway, and a 1923 Bösendorfer (the last two with serial numbers!!!!!!!).

[asin]B00AA9QJBU[/asin]
Regards,
Navneeth

Lisztianwagner

[Paging Ilaria]

New Old Release:

[asin]B00AMUONT2[/asin]

[Spotted at DE]

:o :o ;D ;D
"Tradition is not the worship of ashes, but the preservation of fire." - Gustav Mahler

not edward

Quote from: Brian on December 27, 2012, 10:16:59 AM
the complete Lutoslawski symphonies (Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen).
Are 2, 3 & 4 new recordings, or reissues of the older ones? (As far as I'm aware, there hasn't been a LAPO/Salonen 1st.)
"I don't at all mind actively disliking a piece of contemporary music, but in order to feel happy about it I must consciously understand why I dislike it. Otherwise it remains in my mind as unfinished business."
-- Aaron Copland, The Pleasures of Music

The new erato

reissues + a new live 1st

trung224

Quote from: Brian on December 27, 2012, 10:16:59 AM
Coming in 2013: the complete Beethoven symphonies (Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields, conducted by Joshua Bell) and the complete Lutoslawski symphonies (Los Angeles Philharmonic, conducted by Esa-Pekka Salonen).
Well, Lutoslawski symphonies by LAPO and Salonen can be great combo. But I have no hope for Bell and the Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields in Beethoven. The Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields is the good, provincing orchestra in Baroque and Classical era (but never IMHO  suit with Romantic music) plus the faceless interpreter like Joshua Bell, I can imagine the result.

kishnevi

Quote from: karlhenning on December 27, 2012, 06:02:14 AM
You left off [citation needed] ; )

Classic example of brain-mush being self-published on Wikipedia.  Someone convert "the time-lag between composition and performance is the reason that it was originally listed as Opus 77" into intelligent English.

And we love the especially weaselly passive voice here: "Opus 77 was then allocated to Three Pieces for Orchestra." (God bless Wikipedia: this is the first I ever learnt any such thing. And the most important bit of information here — who did the re-allocating — is conveniently omitted.)

And this was "due to [the] fact" that "Shostakovich shelved the concerto until after Stalin's demise, and then released the concerto under the Opus 99 numeration."  The dodgy logical connection aside, while I should revisit the relevant passage in Fay, the composer "releasing the concerto under the Opus 99 numeration" strikes me as mistaking the relation between Shostakovich and publisher for the publication culture of the West.

The Vladimir Davidovich box would probably interest me greatly if I didn't already have half of it on my shelves.

Regarding Op. 99/77--I once read (I don't remember where, but it certainly was not Wikipedia) that DSCH did some minor tinkering with the score so he could tell the apparatchiki  it was a new work, with a different opus number, and not some of that old despised Formalist trash he happened to have still lying around the house.  But I don't remember what the changes supposedly were, and the "true" opus number was inserted as early as was politically possible.

Brian

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on December 27, 2012, 08:47:54 PM
Ooooh!

Nice! Will definitely be getting that one. I'm sure Greg will as well.

The new erato

http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Aeon/AECD1225

Gerhard:

String Quartet No. 2
String Quartet No. 1
Chaconne for Solo Violin

Arditti Quartet