New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ritter and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on December 27, 2012, 08:47:54 PM
Ooooh!

Take THAT, biches!

(Too bad that in 2016 the orchestra won't exist anymore. Well... not in that form... being merged with the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg. Presumably neither Stéphane Denève nor François-Xavier Roth will hang around beyond that date, anyway.)

Wakefield

Quote from: (: premont :) on December 27, 2012, 09:17:24 AM
Never-the-less I have (of course) ordered it.

Source, please?  :)
"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire

Opus106

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on December 28, 2012, 05:50:33 AM

Abeille currently has a discount that makes it cheaper than JPC. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: jlaurson on December 28, 2012, 05:00:29 AM

Take THAT, biches!

(Too bad that in 2016 the orchestra won't exist anymore. Well... not in that form... being merged with the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg. Presumably neither Stéphane Denève nor François-Xavier Roth will hang around beyond that date, anyway.)

Just my opinion but Deneve should've stayed with the RSNO. He was being recorded a lot more than he is right now it seems. Do you know why Deneve left the RSNO, Jens?

Brian

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 28, 2012, 07:27:46 AM
Just my opinion but Deneve should've stayed with the RSNO. He was being recorded a lot more than he is right now it seems. Do you know why Deneve left the RSNO, Jens?

FYI recording for Naxos is not something artists really do for the money; also relationships aren't necessarily with orchestras. For instance, the Baltimore and Sao Paulo orchestras are on Naxos owing to the presence of Marin Alsop, rather than vice versa. The SWR orchestras have a longstanding relationship with Hanssler.

I am curious to know the answer to your question, though. The RSNO replaced Deneve with Peter Oundjian, who is comparatively young in the conducting world (just 57!) but is sixteen years older than Deneve. I haven't seen Oundjian or heard his work, but he has been quite successful in Toronto for the last eight years.

Sergeant Rock

Quote from: jlaurson on December 28, 2012, 05:00:29 AM
(Too bad that in 2016 the orchestra won't exist anymore. Well... not in that form... being merged with the SWR Sinfonieorchester Baden-Baden und Freiburg.

>:( :'(

Sarge
the phone rings and somebody says,
"hey, they made a movie about
Mahler, you ought to go see it.
he was as f*cked-up as you are."
                               --Charles Bukowski, "Mahler"

jlaurson

Quote from: Brian on December 28, 2012, 11:37:56 AM
FYI recording for Naxos is not something artists really do for the money; also relationships aren't necessarily with orchestras. For instance, the Baltimore and Sao Paulo orchestras are on Naxos owing to the presence of Marin Alsop, rather than vice versa. The SWR orchestras have a longstanding relationship with Hanssler.

I am curious to know the answer to your question, though. The RSNO replaced Deneve with Peter Oundjian, who is comparatively young in the conducting world (just 57!) but is sixteen years older than Deneve. I haven't seen Oundjian or heard his work, but he has been quite successful in Toronto for the last eight years.

Oundjian: former first violinist of the Tokyo String Quartet until he couldn't play anymore and thought: Hey, conducting -- EVERYONE can do that. Fairly nice chap, as I remember from meeting him maybe eight or so years ago after he conducted the NSO. (This concert.)  I remember vaguely being impressed because I expected so little. But ultimately it's a tame, and not a future-bound appointment for the RSNO that will lead nowhere in particular, I'm afraid. He's like a better Tortelier.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: Brian on December 27, 2012, 08:47:54 PM
Ooooh!

Quote from: Mirror Image on December 27, 2012, 08:49:33 PM
Nice! Will definitely be getting that one. I'm sure Greg will as well.

Possibly, I love Poulenc's Stabat Mater. But I may need to flip the booklet around. No offense, Stephane.

Brian

Brian

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on December 28, 2012, 03:29:52 PM
Possibly, I love Poulenc's Stabat Mater. But I may need to flip the booklet around. No offense, Stephane.
It is a terrible, terrible cover photo. In fact...

Papy Oli

there's a new Niu Niu... who knew ?

[asin]B00A8OBTJY[/asin]

(I'm sorry...somebody had to do it  :-[  ;D )...
Olivier

kishnevi

Quote from: Papy Oli on January 02, 2013, 01:26:58 PM
there's a new Niu Niu... who knew ?

(I'm sorry...somebody had to do it  :-[  ;D )...

Or, to translate you post into Yiddish:

Nu! Niu Niu! Nu?

(Nu!)

(An explanation you want?  Nu, here's an explanation: http://forward.com/articles/12736/just-say-nu-/ )

Mirror Image

Quote from: Brian on January 02, 2013, 12:04:33 PM

As evidenced on the Madetoja thread, his music has been pretty well served on disc. Volmer's recordings on Alba are probably the most recent. Definitely need to pick those up.

DavidA

I have just received a copy of the Lugano concertos which is a compilation of Martha Argerich in concert at her Swiss festival at Lugano. Although most people will have at least some of these recordings this set is well worth getting for the fabulous playing of Argerich live. The orchestral playing is a bit routine but this is more than made up for by the sparkling piano playing. The concertos are really do crackle with energy and fizz. The concertos include Beethoven one and two, Liszt 1, Schumann, Bartok 3 and Prokofiev 1&3. There is also a great performance of the Poulenc Concerto for two pianos and Mozart triple concerto. The fourth disc is interesting as it features works by Schubert, Brahms, Stravinsky and Milhaud.
The playing is really first-class - something I cannot say for the packaging which is absolutely terrible. It is supposed to be a limited edition Deluxe set but it looks as though it has been designed by some trendy person who does not collect CDs themselves. Instead of a box we have a 8 x 5 book in a slipcase which is extremely  inconvenient as it does not fit onto a CD shelf in any way. The book is beautifully printed but has an absolutely lousy essay which gives no thoughts to the performers or the music.  There are also no texts or translations for the vocal numbers which are included in the set. It is all very annoying but I would still recommend these discs wholeheartedly for the music on them. Argerich is fab!

premont

Quote from: Gordon Shumway on December 28, 2012, 05:50:33 AM

Sorry I haven´t noticed this post until now.
I ordered the box at JPC along with some other CDs, and finally they are on their way to me.

γνῶθι σεαυτόν

knight66

Here is a recording that I think will become an addiction for me.

LSO Live: Faure Requiem and Bach Partita in D minor. The conductor is Nigel Short. This is a live recording which employed the crack choir Tenebrae.

Until now my long favoured version of the Faure is the old EMI Kings/Willcocks disc. This one is a superb alternative. As suggested the pairing is not any of the usual music and the Partita is interspersed and embellished with Bach chorales. The latter are funeral choruses and it is suggested the partita is mainly based on the chorales used here. The disc starts with the Bach, marvellous and a great journey. The instant that the chaconne of the partita with intertwined chorale finishes, the organ thrusts us into the Faure, very dramatic and effective.

The Faure is 1893 chamber version, dark and somehow quite lush without being at all clogged. It is a superb performance with excellent soloists, they are not star spotlit singers, just excellent voices sitting well in the context. Although deliberately avoiding the hell, damnation and gnashing of teeth that are highlights of the Berlioz and Verdi, this is no milksop piece and the comforting tone is balanced with contained drama and muscularity with the gentle lyrical lines.

What a beautiful disc.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

TheGSMoeller

Quote from: knight66 on January 11, 2013, 11:41:33 AM
Here is a recording that I think will become an addiction for me.

LSO Live: Faure Requiem and Bach Partita in D minor. The conductor is Nigel Short. This is a live recording which employed the crack choir Tenebrae.

What a beautiful disc.

Mike

Quote from: sanantonio on January 11, 2013, 11:58:23 AM
I agree - this performance is really very nice, and it is one of my favorite works.  The English are superb in this repertory.

Count me as another listener high on this disc. Could easily rival any other.

OzRadio

Two opera sets caught my eye the other day. One, the complete Wagner operas on DG. Two, the complete Verdi works by Decca scheduled for release in a couple months. Does anyone know if libretti are contained with either set? I always assume not with these box sets but since they're bigger labels maybe I shouldn't assume.

Edit: The Youtube ad for the Verdi makes no mention of libretti, just "detailed synopses." Bummer, would have been a no-brainer for someone like me with very few Verdi works.

mc ukrneal

Quote from: OzRadio on January 11, 2013, 04:58:10 PM
Two opera sets caught my eye the other day. One, the complete Wagner operas on DG. Two, the complete Verdi works by Decca scheduled for release in a couple months. Does anyone know if libretti are contained with either set? I always assume not with these box sets but since they're bigger labels maybe I shouldn't assume.

Edit: The Youtube ad for the Verdi makes no mention of libretti, just "detailed synopses." Bummer, would have been a no-brainer for someone like me with very few Verdi works.
I don't know the answer, but when it comes to Verdi and Wagner, most of their librettos can be found online. For example - many Wagner libretti can be found at Testament. You will find many libretti at other labels as well, though perhaps only the most well-known. This site has about 3/4 of all Verdi: http://opera.stanford.edu/Verdi/. Admittedly, translations may be scarce.

Be kind to your fellow posters!!

OzRadio

Quote from: mc ukrneal on January 12, 2013, 04:39:24 AM
Admittedly, translations may be scarce.

Yes, I should have qualified my statement with librettos translated in English. http://www.rwagner.net/e-t-opere.html has most of Wagner's, but not his early ones. I always prefer hard copies so as not to have to have my laptop out while listening. I've used Google translator for a few libretti in the past with less than stellar results.