New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mc ukrneal

Quote from: OzRadio on January 12, 2013, 05:21:39 AM
Yes, I should have qualified my statement with librettos translated in English. http://www.rwagner.net/e-t-opere.html has most of Wagner's, but not his early ones. I always prefer hard copies so as not to have to have my laptop out while listening. I've used Google translator for a few libretti in the past with less than stellar results.
You can follow along on Wagner here with a few: http://www.testament.co.uk/default.aspx?PageID=7. EMI, Brilliant and Decca all have some opera libretti available online. You might have to sign up to get some of them. Maybe someone know if any other labels make librettos available online in some fashion.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

Brian

Naxos' 2013 catalogue spills the beans on some of their future releases:

ELLINGTON • STRAYHORN: Harlem (A Tone Parallel to Harlem) • Black, Brown and Beige (arr. M. Peress) • Three Black Kings (arr. L. Henderson) • The River    Suite (arr. R. Collier) (excerpts) • Take the A Train (arr. L. Henderson)
Buffalo PO / JoAnn Falletta

FIBICH: Symphony No. 1 in F major, Op. 17 • Impressions from the Countryside, Op. 54
Czech NSO / Marek Štilec

GURIDI: String Quartets (Complete) 
Bertón String Quartet

HANDEL: Concerti Grossi,   Op. 6, Nos. 1-12 
Aradia Ensemble / Kevin Mallon

HOFFMEISTER:   Flute    Concertos, Vol. 1
Flute Concertos Nos. 21 & 24      
Bruno Meier / Prague CO

LOPES-GRAÇA:   Piano Concertos Nos. 1 & 2 
Eldar Nebolsin / Porto NO / Matthias Bamert

MENDELSSOHN:
Violin Concerto   in E minor • Violin Concerto in   D • Violin   Sonata in   F minor Op. 6
Tianwa Yang / Sinfonia Finlandia / Patrick Gallois

MOERAN: Cello Concerto   • Serenade in G major • 2 Pieces
Guy Brook Johnston / Ulster Orchestra / JoAnn Falletta

PENDERECKI: Piano Concerto, "Resurrection"   • Flute Concerto
Lukas Dlugosz / Barry Douglas (!) / Warsaw PO / Antoni Wit

VASKS: Flute Concerto • Two Pieces (Melody and Dance) • Sonata for Flute and Alto flute solo • Landschaft mit Voegeln
Michael Faust / Sinfonia Finlandia / Patrick Gallois

WEINBERG: Symphony No. 8, Op. 83, "Tveti Pol'shi" (The Flowers of Poland)
Rafał Bartmiński / Ewa Marciniec / Warsaw PO and Choir / Antoni Wit

YSAYE: 6 Sonatas for Violin Solo, Op. 27
Tianwa Yang

Based on the number of new releases listed in the catalogue, I would anticipate that about half of Naxos' 2013 CDs are not listed therein. For instance, there may be more volumes of their ongoing Weinberg symphonies series, and Klaus Heymann's letter of introduction implies that they are moving on from the Alsop cycle by re-recording the Brahms symphonies (?).

The new erato

Yes, I thought it strange that only one Weinberg disc - soon to be released - were on the list. But you might have noted that the 3rd volume of Taneyev quartets are on the list, at this rate it will only take another 5 years to get the remaning two volumes (I guess) released.

Daverz

Quote from: Brian on January 12, 2013, 06:57:00 AM
FIBICH: Symphony No. 1 in F major, Op. 17 • Impressions from the Countryside, Op. 54
Czech NSO / Marek Štilec

There seems to be a hacek tradition among Fibich conductors.  I hope Naxos will also get to the symphonies of Foerster.

Noted new stuff at MDT:

I will of course buy just about any new Weinberg issue, and that Ellington disc looks tasty.

TheGSMoeller

Daniel Hope does Minimalism. Release date of March in the US. Anyone have a track listing?

Brian

Daverz, that Gould is a boxing-up of past Naxos releases.

Quote from: TheGSMoeller on January 13, 2013, 01:53:20 PM

Daniel Hope does Minimalism. Release date of March in the US. Anyone have a track listing?

In Presto we trust for full track list and description!

TheGSMoeller

Dueling new releases (only months apart) of Philip Glass performed on Harp. Who has the edge? Here's Sacchi in recital....

http://www.youtube.com/v/UQ8rY0TtsYM

...but Meijer created a music video!!!

http://www.youtube.com/v/_54NQciqofU

Make it a clean fight, ladies, no hitting below the belt.  ;)

TheGSMoeller

Opus106

Watch this space:

[asin]B00AK3X3U6[/asin]

11 Discs of Schoenberg, conducted by Boulez, from Sony.
Regards,
Navneeth

Karl Henning

Quote from: Opus106 on January 14, 2013, 10:15:51 AM

= I + II? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Karl Henning

Wish Sony would re-release the Boulez/Berlioz box . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Opus106

Quote from: karlhenning on January 14, 2013, 10:21:58 AM
= I + II? . . .

Most likely.

Some of the smaller Boulez boxes have been unavailable for a while.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 14, 2013, 10:15:51 AM
Watch this space:

[asin]B00AK3X3U6[/asin]

I'm getting really tired of Sony's constant take it out of the catalog then reissue it as a huge box set frame of marketing. Leave music in-print and quit blowing your money on useless reissues I say. Also the recordings, like all of the Boulez sets I've seen on Sony, aren't remastered. They simply shove them out to sell as soon as possible without any thought or care given to the composer or the artists.

Opus106

Quote from: Mirror Image on January 14, 2013, 10:28:30 AM
I'm getting really tired of Sony's constant take it out of the catalog then reissue it as a huge box set frame of marketing. Leave music in-print and quit blowing your money on useless reissues I say.

Sony isn't the only 'guilty' party here. EMI is worse, if you ask me, to the point of seeming comical and desperate.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 14, 2013, 10:32:43 AM
Sony isn't the only 'guilty' party here. EMI is worse, if you ask me, to the point of seeming comical and desperate.

Fully agreed here.

Opus106

Although I, for one, welcome the recent re-issue of titles from the DHM and Vivarte catalogues (Sony), albeit in cheap boxes.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 14, 2013, 10:36:58 AM
Although I, for one, welcome the recent re-issue of titles from the DHM and Vivarte catalogues (Sony), albeit in cheap boxes.

I welcome releases that have been out-of-print for years or have never been issued before. For a Schoenberg fan, I can understand why this new Boulez set would be great, but for people that already own half the recordings, it's simply a quick money-making trap that many collector's are tired of.

The new erato

Quote from: Opus106 on January 14, 2013, 10:32:43 AM
EMI is desperate. They went nearly bust, and the new owners lost a bunch of money on them, begore reselling what was viable to Universal. They even tried to renege on their pension obligations, but AFAIK lost that fight. Why shouldn't they be desperate?

Opus106

Quote from: The new erato on January 14, 2013, 12:14:39 PM
EMI is desperate. They went nearly bust, and the new owners lost a bunch of money on them, begore reselling what was viable to Universal. They even tried to renege on their pension obligations, but AFAIK lost that fight. Why shouldn't they be desperate?

Okay, they can. They're just comical, then. :D Re-releasing the same recording in a different cover every 6 months doesn't seem to be helping their cause.
Regards,
Navneeth

Mirror Image

Quote from: Opus106 on January 14, 2013, 08:18:23 PMRe-releasing the same recording in a different cover every 6 months doesn't seem to be helping their cause.

For a person just getting into classical music, this can be a good thing, but for a person who's already familiar with the most basic of repertoire, sorting through their catalog of recordings can be a headache.