Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Your mother wears tap shoes.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Octave

I see that in March the Eloquence label is reissuing a great Wagner WALKÜRE by Leinsdorf/LSO w/Jon Vickers, George London, Gre Brouwenstijn, Birgit Nilsson, and an anonymous but enthusiastic wind machine.  This seems a little odd, because the old Decca edition seems to be both available and cheap:
[asin]B00006469P[/asin]
I wonder if the reissue is remastered?  This, surely, is where I'll have to draw the line; unless my income bracket suddenly performs CLASS-SHIFT-UP in the ultra-near future.  I'm not a Wagner expert, but I've listened to a huge chunk in the past few years and this Leinsdorf knocked me out when I heard it.  Super highly recommended!  I listened to it almost on the heels of the famous old B. Walter torso and still it was like hearing the beast for the first time.

Are all/most of the Eloquence editions newly remastered?  I'm certain I don't see notes to that effect in all my Eloquence discs.
Help support GMG by purchasing items from Amazon through this link.

Fafner

Quote from: Octave on January 18, 2013, 11:57:07 PM
I see that in March the Eloquence label is reissuing a great Wagner WALKÜRE by Leinsdorf/LSO w/Jon Vickers, George London, Gre Brouwenstijn, Birgit Nilsson, and an anonymous but enthusiastic wind machine.  This seems a little odd, because the old Decca edition seems to be both available and cheap:
[asin]B00006469P[/asin]
I wonder if the reissue is remastered?  This, surely, is where I'll have to draw the line; unless my income bracket suddenly performs CLASS-SHIFT-UP in the ultra-near future.  I'm not a Wagner expert, but I've listened to a huge chunk in the past few years and this Leinsdorf knocked me out when I heard it.  Super highly recommended!  I listened to it almost on the heels of the famous old B. Walter torso and still it was like hearing the beast for the first time.

Are all/most of the Eloquence editions newly remastered?  I'm certain I don't see notes to that effect in all my Eloquence discs.

Can't help with the remastering issue, but this is my favourite Walküre recording. Absolutely recommended. Jon Vickers's Siegmund is just godly. (well, actually demigodly   ;) )

EDIT:  Although the wind machine can get a bit obnoxious at times.
"Remember Fafner? Remember he built Valhalla? A giant? Well, he's a dragon now. Don't ask me why. Anyway, he's dead."
   --- Anna Russell

Octave

I have not seen mention of these Sony collections, which I ran across while Amazontrawling.  The ASINs seem to be dead-ending at Amazon US, but I suspect that is because I found these listings at Amazon Spain; I would imagine the ASINs will work once they get a USA listing?

[asin]B00AK3X32O[/asin]
WILLIAM KAPPELL COMPLETE RECORDINGS 1944-1953 (11cd) [mar 5]

[asin]B00AK3X3DI[/asin]
BYRON JANIS COMPLETE ALBUM COLLECTION (12cd) [feb 18]

[asin]B00AK3X3U6[/asin]
SCHOENBERG CONDUCTS BOULEZ (11cd) [5 march]  (already mentioned, but w/o a cover)

[asin]B00AK3X33I[/asin]
COLIN DAVIS CONDUCTS SIBELIUS (w/LSO, 7cd)  [5 mar]

[asin]B00AK3X3XS[/asin]
ITZHAK PERLMAN - CONCERTOS, SONATAS, AND MORE (9cd) [11 mar]

[asin]B00AK3X2M0[/asin]
EMANUEL AX PLAYS HAYDN (4cd) [11 mar]

[asin]B00AL6SMX0[/asin]
PINCHAS ZUKERMAN PLAYS BEETHOVEN (4cd) [11 mar]

[asin]B00AK3X3LK[/asin]
EVGENY KISSIN PLAYS CHOPIN (5cd) [5 mar]

[asin]B00AL6SN5W[/asin]
ISAAC STERN PLAYS MOZART (4cd) [5 mar]

[asin]B00AK3X3Z6[/asin]
JASCHA HEIFETZ PLAYS GREAT VIOLIN SONATAS (9cd) [5 mar]

[asin]B00AK3X306[/asin]
YO-YO MA PLAYS GREAT CELLO MASTERWORKS (8cd) [4 mar]

and 10cd "EDITION" boxes for Mozart, Bach, and Telemann from Sony/DHM, though I still haven't run across any details.

Any opinions on the worthiness of these sets would be much appreciated as the contents are made known; though I shouldn't even be looking at more product with austerity measures on the horizon.  Hello recession. 

mc ukrneal

Quote from: Octave on January 19, 2013, 03:16:28 AM
[asin]B00AK3X2M0[/asin]
EMANUEL AX PLAYS HAYDN (4cd) [11 mar]

Any opinions on the worthiness of these sets would be much appreciated as the contents are made known; though I shouldn't even be looking at more product with austerity measures on the horizon.  Hello recession. 
I enjoy the Haydn/Ax discs of sonatas I have. Sometimes, Ax can be a bit montone/dull for me, but I think he does a good job with the classical era, where perhaps his style is better fitted.
Be kind to your fellow posters!!

kishnevi

Quote from: Octave on January 19, 2013, 03:16:28 AM
I have not seen mention of these Sony collections, which I ran across while Amazontrawling.  The ASINs seem to be dead-ending at Amazon US, but I suspect that is because I found these listings at Amazon Spain; I would imagine the ASINs will work once they get a USA listing?

[asin]B00AK3X3U6[/asin]
SCHOENBERG CONDUCTS BOULEZ (11cd) [5 march]  (already mentioned, but w/o a cover)
Schoenberg the time travel pioneer?  ;D

[asin]B00AL6SN5W[/asin]
ISAAC STERN PLAYS MOZART (4cd) [5 mar]
My set of the concertos dates from the 1980s.  A definite "get it!" set.

Quote from: Octave on January 18, 2013, 11:57:07 PM
[asin]B00006469P[/asin]

Don't know about the remastering (although I doubt any remastering was done) but I have had one experience with that older Decca series you show--the PDF included on CD1 completely bolloxed my CD player, and I could only play it on my computer, which of course being a computer was not thrown into total confusion by the presence of a PDF.  This was a recording of La Traviata which I replaced in due course with a normal old fashioned issue of the same performance, but complete with liner notes and libretto in the old fashioned, stick it in the jewel case as a little booklet, format.

Octave

Thanks for that reply and suggestions, Jeffrey.  One strange thing about a number of these Sony boxes, particularly the Vivarte editions, is how casual Sony and/or Amazon is about their listing.  Not even being especially OCD'ed, I still felt compelled to submit helpful suggestions for the tagging on several of these box sets, since I would have to stumble across some of them totally by accident.  It's possible that I'm quite simply attention-span deficient and thus subject to poor research, but I've heard other complain about this too.

Octave

It seems that those DHM "editions" that I could not find were hiding in plain view; I found nice neat listings at Amazon UK.  ASIN links might not work for Amazon US until these items are posted there.  Nice back covers with contents at each product page; they look best if you "open image in new tab".
EDIT: Um, so they are at Amazon US, after all.  Um, why do I do this?

DHM BACH EDITION [5 Feb]
[asin]B00AC4D5VK[/asin]

DHM MOZART EDITION[5 Feb]
[asin]B00AC4D5DI[/asin]

DHM TELEMANN EDITION[5 Feb]
[asin]B00AC4D6C8[/asin]

Also curious about that Richard Wagner GREAT RECORDINGS 40cd from Sony.  (~5 Mar), but I haven't found any contents for that one.
[asin]B00A2JTEHY[/asin]

Que

Period instruments! :o 

Which does indeed mean that Buchbinder is playing a fortepiano...a copy after Walter.

Q

Opus106

Quote from: Que on January 20, 2013, 04:07:33 AM
Period instruments! :o 

Which does indeed mean that Buchbinder is playing a fortepiano...a copy after Walter.

Q

The more amazing aspect of this disc is that it's just the second (or possibly third) recording of Harnoncourt conducting a Mozart PC!
Regards,
Navneeth

kishnevi

Quote from: Octave on January 20, 2013, 03:23:19 AM
It seems that those DHM "editions" that I could not find were hiding in plain view; I found nice neat listings at Amazon UK.  ASIN links might not work for Amazon US until these items are posted there.  Nice back covers with contents at each product page; they look best if you "open image in new tab".
EDIT: Um, so they are at Amazon US, after all.  Um, why do I do this?

DHM BACH EDITION [5 Feb]
[asin]B00AC4D5VK[/asin]

[asin]B00AC4D5DI[/asin]

DHM TELEMANN EDITION[5 Feb]
[asin]B00AC4D6C8[/asin]

Observation one:
I rather suspect that at least some of these recordings have been issued already in other Sony/DHM budget boxes.  I have the Petite Band doing Bach already in one such, and I wouldn't be surprised if some of these performances show up, for instance,  in the Collegium Aureum box, which I don't have.

Observation two:
Interesting that Amazon US has given these an initial price of $24.99, to make sure they can charge shipping if you don't order something else.

Brian

[asin]B00AC4D5DI[/asin]

Note, the front cover says Piano Concertos 21-27, but the back cover says Concertos 21 and 27, so don't buy this if you expect concertos 22-26.

listener

Also curious about that Richard Wagner GREAT RECORDINGS 40cd from Sony.  (~5 Mar), but I haven't found any contents for that one.
[asin]B00A2JTEHY[/asin]
CD 1-2: Der fliegende Holländer: Morris, Voigt, Heppner, Rootering, Groves, Svendén - Metropolitan Opera Orchestra, James Levine
CD 3-5: Lohengrin: Kónya, Amara, Gorr, Dooley, Hines, Marsh - Boston Symphony Orchestra, Erich Leinsdorf
CD 6-9 Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg: Wiener, Thomas, Watson, Hotter, Kusche - Bayerisches Staatsorchester, Joseph Keilberth
CD 10-23: Der Ring des Nibelungen: Altmeyer, Norman, Studer, Adam, Jerusalem, Kollo, Schreier, Staatskapelle Dresden, Marek Janowski
CD 24-27: Parsifal: Uhl, Höngen, Ludwig, Berry, Hotter, Waechter, Franc - Wiener Staatsopernorchester, Herbert von Karajan Opernausschnitte und Arien-CDs:
CD 28: Die Walküre: Akt 1: Hofmann, Marton, Talvela - New York Philharmonic, Zubin Mehta
CD 29: Peter Hofmann: Arien aus Lohengrin, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Rienzi, Siegfried, Tannhäuser, Die Walküre
CD 30: Gösta Winbergh: Arien aus Lohengrin, Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Parsifal, Rienzi
CD 31: Kirsten Flagstad & Lauritz Melchior: Arien und Duette aus Götterdämmerung, Lohengrin, Parsifal,Tristan und Isolde, Die Walküre
CD 32-33: Lauritz Melchior & Helen Traubel: Arien und Duette aus Lohengrin, Rienzi, Tristan und Isolde
CD 35: Waltraud Meier: Arien aus Der fliegende Holländer, Götterdämmerung, Lohengrin, Parsifal, Tannhäuser, Tristan und Isolde, Die Walküre Orchestermusik und Transkriptionen:
CD 36: George Szell: Orchestermusik aus Die Meistersinger von Nürnberg, Der Ring des Nibelungen, Tristan und Isolde - Cleveland Orchestra
CD 37: Leopold Stokowski: Ouvertüren und Orchestermusik aus Das Rheingold, Tannhäuser, Tristan und Isolde, Die Walküre - Symphony of the Air
CD 38: Lorin Maazel: Siegfried-Idyll, Vorspiele und Ouvertüren - Berliner Philharmoniker
CD 39: Lorin Maazel: Tannhäuser ohne Worte - Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra
CD 40: Tal & Groethuysen: Klaviertranskriptionen für Vier Hände

found at http://www.archambault.ca/var-classique-richard-wagnerthe-great-recordings-40dc-ACH003295223-en-pr
"Keep your hand on the throttle and your eye on the rail as you walk through life's pathway."

Octave

Thank you, research magician!
Goodness, the third presentation of the Janowski RING inside of one year, with new recordings coming out as well?  Flex that legacy machine!

The new erato

50 disc EMI Eminence collection. A bargain set of (originally) bargain discs. Are there more ways to repackage and rebundle the EMI catalogue now?

Mirror Image

Right now, as we speak, EMI are working on ways to repackage this box set. :P

Brian

Quote from: The new erato on January 21, 2013, 07:10:15 AM
50 disc EMI Eminence collection. A bargain set of (originally) bargain discs. Are there more ways to repackage and rebundle the EMI catalogue now?

Wow. Next thing you know they'll be selling their whole catalogue on a hard drive for $59. My favorite EMI reissue was last year when Presto put the "Original Masters" line on clearance because EMI had decided to rerelease all of them, exactly identical but with a different cover styling.

Also, look how tiny the booklet is, in keeping with EMI practice.

Brian

I haven't ever heard a recording by William Kapell, but based on his fanbase here at GMG I'm thinking of buying that box set when it comes out. I know I want the Byron Janis, based on the portion of it which appears in the 4CD Brilliant set of his concerto recordings. That Prokofiev is spectacular!

Will also be looking forward to comments on the Stern/Mozart and Kissin/Chopin, and await content listings for the Ma, Heifetz and Perlman boxes.

betterthanfine

Am I the only one who's very much looking forward to this release?

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67901/2

The samples on the Hyperion website sound superb!

Wakefield

Quote from: betterthanfine on January 22, 2013, 04:14:09 PM
Am I the only one who's very much looking forward to this release?

http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/al.asp?al=CDA67901/2

The samples on the Hyperion website sound superb!

I'm really waiting for this one:

QuoteThis is the premiere recording of J.S. Bach's John Passion heard for the first time within its original liturgical context.  This recording marks the return of Dunedin Consort's star-studded cast including, Nicholas Mulroy, Matthew Brook, Robert Davies, Joanne Lunn and Clare Wilkinson.

http://www.dunedin-consort.org.uk/recordings/john-passion-recording/

http://www.linnrecords.com/recording-john-passion.aspx

:)

"One of the greatest misfortunes of honest people is that they are cowards. They complain, keep quiet, dine and forget."
-- Voltaire