New Releases

Started by Brian, March 12, 2009, 12:26:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The new erato

Ragnar Sederurin = Ragnar Søderlind [1945 ]: Horn in a Landscape

I was at the premiere of the work with the composer present,

amw

Quote from: Brian on November 27, 2015, 07:10:50 PM

What I've heard from this has been really good. I plan to get it, once I've listened to the whole thing.

Mandryka

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 27, 2015, 12:09:33 PM
Interestingly, the Tallis Scholars have just released their own recording of the Mass and the two Dum.... motets.  They make no bones about favoring the upper voices.

On reflection the SQ of the St Mary's Edinburgh recording is so resonant that it really isn't pleasurable for me. I am completely thrown by the reviews on Amazon UK, which seem to praise the sound! Maybe it's truthful, a good approximation to what the Edinburgh cathedral sounds like; maybe some aspect of the music was made for a big resonant hall. I don't know, and I'm confused.

The mass, however, is completely wild and they capture that aspect quite well. So it's a frustrating recording for me.

I don't fancy Tallis Scholars, but if you say it's interesting I'll get it. The cantus firmus is in the tenor I think, but so much of the impact of the music is in the high voices I can imagine someone could make an effective recording even if it's transposed up. But still, I have to wonder why Peter Philips does that - just to satisfy the expectations of his groupies, or some sort of homage to an English choral tradition from 50 years ago, or because he thinks he's serving the music poetically, or from the point of view of authenticity or what?

I was, by the way, wrong to think that the Edinburgh performance is a new release.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

kishnevi

Quote from: Mandryka on November 29, 2015, 12:06:04 AM

I don't fancy Tallis Scholars, but if you say it's interesting I'll get it. The cantus firmus is in the tenor I think, but so much of the impact of the music is in the high voices I can imagine someone could make an effective recording even if it's transposed up. But still, I have to wonder why Peter Philips does that - just to satisfy the expectations of his groupies, or some sort of homage to an English choral tradition from 50 years ago, or because he thinks he's serving the music poetically, or from the point of view of authenticity or what?

In this particular case,  authenticity to reflect music written to show off the high voices.  Philips says that the composer had high quality upper voices available to use, that the mass was probably composed for performance in the presence of King Henry and Queen Catherine, and that therefore Taverner made a point of showing off his high voices, rather like an opera composer in 19th century Italy would write music to show off the lead soprano's voice (the comparison is Philips, not mine).   Of course, if tailoring the performance to the expectations of his "groupies' was a factor, that would be an extra, unadmitted reason. >:D

If you don't generally like the Tallis Scholars,  try to find it on Spotify or other service, since it does have the typical TS sound (which I generally like).

Mandryka

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 29, 2015, 09:48:23 AM
In this particular case,  authenticity to reflect music written to show off the high voices.  Philips says that the composer had high quality upper voices available to use, that the mass was probably composed for performance in the presence of King Henry and Queen Catherine, and that therefore Taverner made a point of showing off his high voices, rather like an opera composer in 19th century Italy would write music to show off the lead soprano's voice (the comparison is Philips, not mine).   Of course, if tailoring the performance to the expectations of his "groupies' was a factor, that would be an extra, unadmitted reason. >:D

If you don't generally like the Tallis Scholars,  try to find it on Spotify or other service, since it does have the typical TS sound (which I generally like).

Unfortunately it's not on spotify or qobuz.

Interesting comments there from Peter Philips -- as if he's trying to recreate original performance conditions. It's interesting to find a view of HIP which isn't necessarily about voix egales. Keyboard composers often wrote stuff about how they'd like their music to be played but I've not explored similar literature for voices yet.

This issue about resonant sound that bugged me with the Edinburgh recording, it cropped up again today with a CD of Tye's Western wind mass from Ely Cathedral. I thought it was full of reverberation, but there are reviews praising the SQ. I just don't know what to think.
Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

Todd

The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

Florestan

Quote from: Brian on November 27, 2015, 07:10:50 PM
"Arupejone Sonata",

Is this Japanese Google Translate?  ;D
There is no theory. You have only to listen. Pleasure is the law. — Claude Debussy

kishnevi

Quote from: Mandryka on November 29, 2015, 11:14:12 AM
Unfortunately it's not on spotify or qobuz.

Interesting comments there from Peter Philips -- as if he's trying to recreate original performance conditions. It's interesting to find a view of HIP which isn't necessarily about voix egales. Keyboard composers often wrote stuff about how they'd like their music to be played but I've not explored similar literature for voices yet.

This issue about resonant sound that bugged me with the Edinburgh recording, it cropped up again today with a CD of Tye's Western wind mass from Ely Cathedral. I thought it was full of reverberation, but there are reviews praising the SQ. I just don't know what to think.

I think many people expect reverb in a cathedral, perhaps even want it, so they don't object in the way they might with music recorded in a modern concert hall.
Quote from: Todd on November 29, 2015, 12:01:25 PM

Coming in January.

BBC Music reviews three recordings of the Sonatas in the current (American) issue. Two you have, Daskalakis and Podger, but I haven't seen you refer to the third one,  Lina Tur Bonet with Musica Alchemica on Pan Classics.. Review uses the words colourful and theatrical to describe her perfornance, and contrasts it to Podger's.

Brian

Todd

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on November 29, 2015, 04:55:45 PMbut I haven't seen you refer to the third one,  Lina Tur Bonet with Musica Alchemica on Pan Classics

That's currently wishlisted for next year.  I'll probably buy it when I buy the other two volumes of Anne Schumann's set.
The universe is change; life is opinion. - Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

People would rather believe than know - E.O. Wilson

Propaganda death ensemble - Tom Araya

kishnevi

Quote from: Todd on November 29, 2015, 05:09:55 PM

That's currently wishlisted for next year.  I'll probably buy it when I buy the other two volumes of Anne Schumann's set.

Should have known
Fair warning: I just realized, while looking for something else, that I have Tur Bonet's Vivaldi CD, and I thought it competent but nothing special.

king ubu

Quote from: Camphy on November 27, 2015, 10:30:23 AM
Some future releases; I think the last two have been mentioned here:

[asin]B0172IW1OA[/asin]

If mentioned, I must have missed - wow!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

The new erato

Quote from: The new erato on November 19, 2015, 01:35:59 PM
There is a Currentziz release of Stravinsky's Les Noces underway (coupled less excitingly with Tchaikovsky's violin concerto)
It's been mentioned alright!  ;)

More interesting to me than yet another Rite, however good Currentziz' new Rite is!

king ubu

Quote from: The new erato on November 30, 2015, 01:27:22 AM
It's been mentioned alright!  ;)

More interesting to me than yet another Rite, however good Currentziz' new Rite is!

no photo, so I missed it  ;D

for me, the main draw is Kopatchinskaja doing the violon conerto!
Es wollt ein meydlein grasen gan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Und do die roten röslein stan:
Fick mich, lieber Peter!
Fick mich mehr, du hast dein ehr.
Kannstu nit, ich wills dich lern.
Fick mich, lieber Peter!

http://ubus-notizen.blogspot.ch/

The new erato

Quote from: king ubu on November 30, 2015, 03:44:50 AM
no photo, so I missed it  ;D

for me, the main draw is Kopatchinskaja doing the violon conerto!
At the time I saw it at jpc.de that had no picture. Text is hard stuff, we want Pictures!

Wanderer

Quote from: Brian on October 30, 2015, 04:44:21 AM
solo works

program yet unknown.

Medtner

1    Prologue from Stimmungsbilder, Op.1 No.1       
2    Skazka, Op.51 No.3       
3    Sonata-Reminiscenza, Op.38 No.1       
4    Skazka, Op.20 No.1       
5    Skazka, Op.26 No.1       
6    Canzona matinata, Op.39 No.4       
7    Sonata tragica, Op.39 No.5       

Rachmaninov

8-13    Six Preludes (incl. Op.23 No.5 & Op.32 No.12)

kishnevi

In the not sitting on their hands department

The contents make this suitable for the "Music for Advent and Christmas" thread
(Per Barnes and Noble item page)

Lute Book Lullaby ("Sweet was the song the Virgin sung")  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Ding Dong! Merrily on High (French)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Myn Lyking  - Richard Runciman Terry  - David Willcocks
Personent hodie (On this day Earth shall ring) (Piae Cantiones)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
See Amid the Winter's Snow, for chorus  - John Goss  - David Willcocks
In the Bleak Midwinter  - Harold Darke  - David Willcocks
Coventry Carol (2)~Lully, Lulla, Thou Little Tiny Child  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Shepherds, In the field abiding (Tune: French)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Fantasia on Christmas Carols for baritone, chorus & orchestra  - Ralph Vaughan Williams  - David Willcocks
The infant King (Basque)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Christ was born on Christmas day (German)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Blessed Be That Maid Marie (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
O Little Town of Bethlehem, carol  - Henry Walford Davies  - David Willcocks
O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste fideles)  - John Francis Wade  - David Willcocks
Mass for soloists, chorus, organ & orchestra in D minor ("Lord Nelson"), H. 22/11  - Franz Joseph Haydn  - David Willcocks  -  London Symphony Orchestra
St. John Passion (Johannespassion), BWV 245 (BC D2)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks  - London Philomusica
Burial Service  - William Croft  - David Willcocks
Mater Christi, antiphon for 5 voices  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Christe Jesu, pastor bone, antiphon for 5 voices (lacks tenor part)  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Mass "The Western Wind," for 4 voices  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Kyrie "Leroy", for 4 voices  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Past Three O'clock, carol (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The First Nowell (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Unto Us Is Born A Son (Puer nobis nascitur; Piae Cantiones, 1582)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Cherry Tree Carol  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Holly and the Ivy (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
O come, o come, Emmanuel (Veni, veni, Emmanuel), carol  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Blessed Son of God, for chorus (arranged from "Hodie," Christmas cantata)  - Ralph Vaughan Williams  - David Willcocks
King Jesus Hath A Garden (Dutch)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme  - Philipp Nicolai  - David Willcocks
Gabriel's Message (Basque)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
On Jordans's bank the Baptist's cry  -  Anonymous, German  - David Willcocks
Remember, O thou man (from Melismata, 1611)  - Thomas Ravenscroft  - David Willcocks
I Sing of a Maiden for 2 voices & piano  - Patrick Hadley  - David Willcocks
A Spotless Rose, for chorus  - David Willcocks  - Herbert Howells
Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (on the tune "Merton")  - William Henry Monk  - David Willcocks
'Twas in the year that King Uzziah died, introit for 4 voices  - George Ratcliffe Woodward  - David Willcocks
The Day Thou Gavest, Lord, Is Ended (Tune: St. Clement)  - Clement Cotterill Scholefield  - David Willcocks
Glory to thee my God this night (tune Tallis's Canon), No. 244  - New English Hymnal  - David Willcocks
Holy Father, cheer our way (Tune: Cape Town)  - Friedrich Filitz  - David Willcocks
Abide with me (Tune: Eventide)  - William Henry Monk  - David Willcocks
When I survey the wondrous Cross, hymn (Rockingham)  - Edward Miller  - David Willcocks
Drop, drop, slow tears, hymn (from "The Hymnes and Songs of the Church")  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
According to Thy gracious word (Tune: Bangor)  - William Tans'ur  - David Willcocks
There is a green hill far away (Tune: Horsley)  - William Horsley  - David Willcocks
Gott lebet noch, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 488), BWV 461 (BC F255)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Brunnquell aller Güter, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 355), BWV 445 (BC F247)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Die bittre Leidenszeit beginnet abermal, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 258), BWV 450 (BC F235)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
O Jesulein süss, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 203), BWV 493 (BC F234)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Jesu, meine Freude, motet for 5-part chorus, BWV 227 (BC C5)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Ave verum corpus (also anthem: "O Lord, God of Israel"), motet for 4 voices (SATB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
The Great Service, for 5-10 voices  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
Mass for 5 Voices (SATTB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
I Saw Three Ships, carol  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Rocking Carol (Czech)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Sussex Carol ("On Christmas Night")  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night (unspecified tune)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Away in a manger (Tune: Cradle Song) (New English Hymnal 22)  - William James Kirkpatrick  - David Willcocks
Rejoice and Be Merry  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Hark! the Herald Angels Sing (adapted by W. H. Cummings from Mendelssohn's Festgesang for the Gutenberg Festival)  - Felix Mendelssohn  - David Willcocks
O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste fideles)  - John Francis Wade  - David Willcocks
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks By Night (unspecified tune)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Away in a manger (Tune: Cradle Song) (New English Hymnal 22)  - William James Kirkpatrick  - David Willcocks
God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Adam Lay Y-Bounden, carol  - Boris Ord  - David Willcocks
Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio), in six parts, BWV 248 (BC D7): And There Were Shepherds in the Same Country, Abid  - David Willcocks  - Johann Sebastian Bach
Once in Royal David's City, carol  - Henry John Gauntlett  - David Willcocks
Second Service (Verse Service), for 1-5 voices & organ: Te Deum  - David Willcocks  - Orlando Gibbons
Glorious and powerful God, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
See, the word is incarnate, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
This Is the record of John, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
Second Service (Verse Service), for 1-5 voices & organ: Jubilate  - David Willcocks  - Orlando Gibbons
Voices for Today, anthem for mixed voices & organ ad lib, Op. 75  - Benjamin Britten
Shakespeare Songs (3) for chorus  - Ralph Vaughan Williams
Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis (for St. Paul's Cathedral)  - Herbert Howells
Sing Lullaby, carol-anthem for chorus  - Herbert Howells
Here Is the Little Door, carol-anthem for chorus  - Herbert Howells
Take Him, Earth, for Cherishing, motet on the death of President Kennedy for chorus  - Herbert Howells
Gloria, for 3 solo voices, chorus, trumpet, oboe, violin (ad lib), 2 violas, 2 cellos, strings & continuo in D major, RV 589  - Antonio Vivaldi  - David Willcocks  - Neville Marriner  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.11 in B flat major, "Let God Arise", HWV 256  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.9 in E flat, "O Praise the Lord With One Consent", HWV 254  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Sancte Deus, motet (antiphon) for 4 voices, P. 98  - Thomas Tallis
Lesson "Two parts in one" (also atrributed to J.Bull), for keyboard  - Thomas Tallis  - Andrew Davis
Videte miraculum, motet for 6 voices, P. 293  - Thomas Tallis
Lamentations (of Jeremiah), 2nd lesson for 5 voices, P. 110  - Thomas Tallis
Lamentations (of Jeremiah), 1st lesson for 5 voices, P. 102  - Thomas Tallis
Derelinquit impius, motet for 5 voices, P. 189  - Thomas Tallis
Salvator mundi (I) (also set as "Arise O Lord" and "With all our hearts"), motet for 5 voices, P. 216  - Thomas Tallis
O nata lux de lumine, motet (hymn) for 5 voices, P. 209  - Thomas Tallis
Veni Redemptor gentium (I), for organ  - Thomas Tallis  - Andrew Davis
Ecce tempus idoneum (I), for keyboard  - Thomas Tallis  - Andrew Davis
Te lucis ante terminum (Procul recedant somnia) (II), motet for 5 voices, P. 215  - Thomas Tallis
Te lucis ante terminum (Procul recedant somnia) (I), motet for 5 voices, P. 214  - Thomas Tallis
Spem in Alium (also set as "Sing and glorify"), motet for 40 voices, P. 299  - Thomas Tallis
In jejunio et fletu, motet for 5 voices, P. 198  - Thomas Tallis
In manus tuas, motet for 5 voices, P. 202  - Thomas Tallis
A great and mighty wonder (Tune: Es ist ein' Ros' entsprungen)  - German Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Three Kings (Die Könige) ("Three Kings from Persian lands afar")  - Peter Cornelius  - David Willcocks
Hark! the Herald Angels Sing (adapted by W. H. Cummings from Mendelssohn's Festgesang for the Gutenberg Festival)  - Felix Mendelssohn  - David Willcocks
A Babe Is Born  - Peter Racine Fricker  - David Willcocks
Lullay my liking, for soprano & chorus, Op. 34/2, H. 129  - Gustav Holst  - David Willcocks
Infant Holy, Infant Lowly (W zlobie lezy)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
There Is No Rose of Such Virtue (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Alleluya, A New Work Is Come on Hand, for chorus, Op. 17/3  - Peter Wishart  - David Willcocks
Senex puerum portabat, motet for 5 voices (from Motets Book I)  - Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina  - David Willcocks
Hodie beata virgo, motet for 4 voices  - Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina  - David Willcocks
The King Shall Rejoice, coronation anthem No. 2 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 260  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
Let Thy Hand Be Strengthened, coronation anthem No. 4 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 259  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
My Heart Is Inditing, coronation anthem No. 3 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 261  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
Zadok the Priest, coronation anthem No. 1 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 258  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
Miserere mei Deus (Psalm 51), motet for chorus  - Gregorio Allegri  - David Willcocks
Hear my prayer, O Lord, anthem for chorus, violins & continuo, Z. 15 (unfinished)  - Henry Purcell  - David Willcocks
Work(s): Versicles and Responses  - David Willcocks  - William Byrd
Work(s): The Lesser Litany  - David Willcocks  - William Byrd
Psalm 130, "De profondis"  - Matthew Camidge  - David Willcocks
Work(s): [unspecified] Preces  - David Willcocks  - William Byrd
Hide Not Thou Thy Face for chorus  - Richard Farrant  - David Willcocks
Mass for 4 voices (SATB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
Mass for 3 Voices (ATB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
Blessed is the Man that hath not Walked  - John Blow  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.2 in D minor, "In the Lord Put I My Trust", HWV 247  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Mass, "Western Wind" for 4 voices  - Christopher Tye  - David Willcocks
Mass "Euge Bone" for 6 voices  - Christopher Tye  - David Willcocks
Ode for St Cecilia's Day (Song for St Cecilia's Day) for soloists, chorus & orchestra, HWV 76  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.6 in E minor, "As Pants the Hart", HWV 251b  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.10 in G minor, "The Lord Is My Light", HWV 255  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Jesus lives! Thy terrors now (Tune: St. Albinus) (New English Hymnal 112)  - Henry John Gauntlett  - Boris Ord
Haec dies, motet for 6 voices (SSATTB)  - William Byrd  - Boris Ord
Lord's Prayer, for chorus  - Robert Stone  - Boris Ord
Work(s): Easter Matins: Preces  - Boris Ord  - Thomas Tomkins
This Joyful Eastertide  - Dutch Traditional  - Boris Ord
My Beloved Spake, anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra)  - Patrick Hadley  - Boris Ord
Evening Service (Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis) in G major, Op. 81  - Charles Villiers Stanford  - Boris Ord
O praise the Lord  - Adrian Batten  - Boris Ord
O clap your hands, anthem for 8 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O Lord, increase my faith, anthem for 4 voices (possibly by H. Loosemore)  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
Hosanna to the son of David, anthem for 6 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O Lord, in thy wrath rebuke me not, anthem for 6 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
Almighty and everlasting God, anthem for 4 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O God, the King of Glory, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
Fantasia on the 1st tone, for double organ, MB7  - Orlando Gibbons  - Hugh McLean
First preces and psalm (145) for Evensong on Whitsunday, for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste fideles)  - John Francis Wade  - Boris Ord
The infant King (Basque)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
The Three Kings (Die Könige) ("Three Kings from Persian lands afar")  - Peter Cornelius  - Boris Ord
Shepherd's Cradle Song  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks (adapted from Handel)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
A Virgin Most Pure (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
Hail! Blessed Virgin Mary, for chorus (after traditional Italian)  - Charles Wood  - Boris Ord
In dulci jubilo, for soloists & chorus  - Robert Lucas Pearsall  - Boris Ord
God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
Es ist ein Ros entsprungen (Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming), for chorus  - Michael Praetorius  - Boris Ord
Up! Good Christian Folk, and Listen (Piae cantiones)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio), in six parts, BWV 248 (BC D7): And There Were Shepherds. Chorale (Sung in English  - Boris Ord  - Johann Sebastian Bach
Once in Royal David's City, carol  - Henry John Gauntlett  - Boris Ord

Camphy

Two (great) reissues:

and a new release:

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on December 01, 2015, 06:44:29 PM
In the not sitting on their hands department

The contents make this suitable for the "Music for Advent and Christmas" thread
(Per Barnes and Noble item page)

Lute Book Lullaby ("Sweet was the song the Virgin sung")  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Ding Dong! Merrily on High (French)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Myn Lyking  - Richard Runciman Terry  - David Willcocks
Personent hodie (On this day Earth shall ring) (Piae Cantiones)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
In the Bleak Midwinter  - Harold Darke  - David Willcocks
Coventry Carol (2)~Lully, Lulla, Thou Little Tiny Child  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Shepherds, In the field abiding (Tune: French)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Fantasia on Christmas Carols for baritone, chorus & orchestra  - Ralph Vaughan Williams  - David Willcocks
The infant King (Basque)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Christ was born on Christmas day (German)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Blessed Be That Maid Marie (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
O Little Town of Bethlehem, carol  - Henry Walford Davies  - David Willcocks
Mass for soloists, chorus, organ & orchestra in D minor ("Lord Nelson"), H. 22/11  - Franz Joseph Haydn  - David Willcocks  -  London Symphony Orchestra
St. John Passion (Johannespassion), BWV 245 (BC D2)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks  - London Philomusica
Burial Service  - William Croft  - David Willcocks
Mater Christi, antiphon for 5 voices  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Christe Jesu, pastor bone, antiphon for 5 voices (lacks tenor part)  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Mass "The Western Wind," for 4 voices  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Kyrie "Leroy", for 4 voices  - John Taverner  - David Willcocks
Past Three O'clock, carol (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The First Nowell (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Unto Us Is Born A Son (Puer nobis nascitur; Piae Cantiones, 1582)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Cherry Tree Carol  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Holly and the Ivy (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
O come, o come, Emmanuel (Veni, veni, Emmanuel), carol  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Blessed Son of God, for chorus (arranged from "Hodie," Christmas cantata)  - Ralph Vaughan Williams  - David Willcocks
King Jesus Hath A Garden (Dutch)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Wachet auf, ruft uns die Stimme  - Philipp Nicolai  - David Willcocks
On Jordans's bank the Baptist's cry  -  Anonymous, German  - David Willcocks
Remember, O thou man (from Melismata, 1611)  - Thomas Ravenscroft  - David Willcocks
I Sing of a Maiden for 2 voices & piano  - Patrick Hadley  - David Willcocks
A Spotless Rose, for chorus  - David Willcocks  - Herbert Howells
Hark! a thrilling voice is sounding (on the tune "Merton")  - William Henry Monk  - David Willcocks
'Twas in the year that King Uzziah died, introit for 4 voices  - George Ratcliffe Woodward  - David Willcocks
The Day Thou Gavest, Lord, Is Ended (Tune: St. Clement)  - Clement Cotterill Scholefield  - David Willcocks
Glory to thee my God this night (tune Tallis's Canon), No. 244  - New English Hymnal  - David Willcocks
Holy Father, cheer our way (Tune: Cape Town)  - Friedrich Filitz  - David Willcocks
Abide with me (Tune: Eventide)  - William Henry Monk  - David Willcocks
When I survey the wondrous Cross, hymn (Rockingham)  - Edward Miller  - David Willcocks
Drop, drop, slow tears, hymn (from "The Hymnes and Songs of the Church")  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
According to Thy gracious word (Tune: Bangor)  - William Tans'ur  - David Willcocks
There is a green hill far away (Tune: Horsley)  - William Horsley  - David Willcocks
Gott lebet noch, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 488), BWV 461 (BC F255)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Brunnquell aller Güter, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 355), BWV 445 (BC F247)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Die bittre Leidenszeit beginnet abermal, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 258), BWV 450 (BC F235)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
O Jesulein süss, sacred song for voice & continuo (Schemelli Gesangbuch No. 203), BWV 493 (BC F234)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Jesu, meine Freude, motet for 5-part chorus, BWV 227 (BC C5)  - Johann Sebastian Bach  - David Willcocks
Ave verum corpus (also anthem: "O Lord, God of Israel"), motet for 4 voices (SATB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
The Great Service, for 5-10 voices  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
Mass for 5 Voices (SATTB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
I Saw Three Ships, carol  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Rocking Carol (Czech)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Rejoice and Be Merry  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Adam Lay Y-Bounden, carol  - Boris Ord  - David Willcocks
Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio), in six parts, BWV 248 (BC D7): And There Were Shepherds in the Same Country, Abid  - David Willcocks  - Johann Sebastian Bach
Second Service (Verse Service), for 1-5 voices & organ: Te Deum  - David Willcocks  - Orlando Gibbons
Glorious and powerful God, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
See, the word is incarnate, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
This Is the record of John, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - David Willcocks
Second Service (Verse Service), for 1-5 voices & organ: Jubilate  - David Willcocks  - Orlando Gibbons
Voices for Today, anthem for mixed voices & organ ad lib, Op. 75  - Benjamin Britten
Shakespeare Songs (3) for chorus  - Ralph Vaughan Williams
Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis (for St. Paul's Cathedral)  - Herbert Howells
Sing Lullaby, carol-anthem for chorus  - Herbert Howells
Here Is the Little Door, carol-anthem for chorus  - Herbert Howells
Take Him, Earth, for Cherishing, motet on the death of President Kennedy for chorus  - Herbert Howells
Gloria, for 3 solo voices, chorus, trumpet, oboe, violin (ad lib), 2 violas, 2 cellos, strings & continuo in D major, RV 589  - Antonio Vivaldi  - David Willcocks  - Neville Marriner  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.11 in B flat major, "Let God Arise", HWV 256  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.9 in E flat, "O Praise the Lord With One Consent", HWV 254  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Sancte Deus, motet (antiphon) for 4 voices, P. 98  - Thomas Tallis
Lesson "Two parts in one" (also atrributed to J.Bull), for keyboard  - Thomas Tallis  - Andrew Davis
Videte miraculum, motet for 6 voices, P. 293  - Thomas Tallis
Lamentations (of Jeremiah), 2nd lesson for 5 voices, P. 110  - Thomas Tallis
Lamentations (of Jeremiah), 1st lesson for 5 voices, P. 102  - Thomas Tallis
Derelinquit impius, motet for 5 voices, P. 189  - Thomas Tallis
Salvator mundi (I) (also set as "Arise O Lord" and "With all our hearts"), motet for 5 voices, P. 216  - Thomas Tallis
O nata lux de lumine, motet (hymn) for 5 voices, P. 209  - Thomas Tallis
Veni Redemptor gentium (I), for organ  - Thomas Tallis  - Andrew Davis
Ecce tempus idoneum (I), for keyboard  - Thomas Tallis  - Andrew Davis
Te lucis ante terminum (Procul recedant somnia) (II), motet for 5 voices, P. 215  - Thomas Tallis
Te lucis ante terminum (Procul recedant somnia) (I), motet for 5 voices, P. 214  - Thomas Tallis
Spem in Alium (also set as "Sing and glorify"), motet for 40 voices, P. 299  - Thomas Tallis
In jejunio et fletu, motet for 5 voices, P. 198  - Thomas Tallis
In manus tuas, motet for 5 voices, P. 202  - Thomas Tallis
A great and mighty wonder (Tune: Es ist ein' Ros' entsprungen)  - German Traditional  - David Willcocks
The Three Kings (Die Könige) ("Three Kings from Persian lands afar")  - Peter Cornelius  - David Willcocks
A Babe Is Born  - Peter Racine Fricker  - David Willcocks
Lullay my liking, for soprano & chorus, Op. 34/2, H. 129  - Gustav Holst  - David Willcocks
Infant Holy, Infant Lowly (W zlobie lezy)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
There Is No Rose of Such Virtue (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - David Willcocks
Alleluya, A New Work Is Come on Hand, for chorus, Op. 17/3  - Peter Wishart  - David Willcocks
Senex puerum portabat, motet for 5 voices (from Motets Book I)  - Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina  - David Willcocks
Hodie beata virgo, motet for 4 voices  - Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina  - David Willcocks
The King Shall Rejoice, coronation anthem No. 2 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 260  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
Let Thy Hand Be Strengthened, coronation anthem No. 4 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 259  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
My Heart Is Inditing, coronation anthem No. 3 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 261  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
Zadok the Priest, coronation anthem No. 1 for chorus & orchestra, HWV 258  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  English Chamber Orchestra
Miserere mei Deus (Psalm 51), motet for chorus  - Gregorio Allegri  - David Willcocks
Hear my prayer, O Lord, anthem for chorus, violins & continuo, Z. 15 (unfinished)  - Henry Purcell  - David Willcocks
Work(s): Versicles and Responses  - David Willcocks  - William Byrd
Work(s): The Lesser Litany  - David Willcocks  - William Byrd
Psalm 130, "De profondis"  - Matthew Camidge  - David Willcocks
Work(s): [unspecified] Preces  - David Willcocks  - William Byrd
Hide Not Thou Thy Face for chorus  - Richard Farrant  - David Willcocks
Mass for 4 voices (SATB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
Mass for 3 Voices (ATB)  - William Byrd  - David Willcocks
Blessed is the Man that hath not Walked  - John Blow  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.2 in D minor, "In the Lord Put I My Trust", HWV 247  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Mass, "Western Wind" for 4 voices  - Christopher Tye  - David Willcocks
Mass "Euge Bone" for 6 voices  - Christopher Tye  - David Willcocks
Ode for St Cecilia's Day (Song for St Cecilia's Day) for soloists, chorus & orchestra, HWV 76  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.6 in E minor, "As Pants the Hart", HWV 251b  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Chandos Anthem No.10 in G minor, "The Lord Is My Light", HWV 255  - George Frideric Handel  - David Willcocks  -  Academy of St. Martin-in-the-Fields
Jesus lives! Thy terrors now (Tune: St. Albinus) (New English Hymnal 112)  - Henry John Gauntlett  - Boris Ord
Haec dies, motet for 6 voices (SSATTB)  - William Byrd  - Boris Ord
Lord's Prayer, for chorus  - Robert Stone  - Boris Ord
Work(s): Easter Matins: Preces  - Boris Ord  - Thomas Tomkins
This Joyful Eastertide  - Dutch Traditional  - Boris Ord
My Beloved Spake, anthem for chorus & organ (or orchestra)  - Patrick Hadley  - Boris Ord
Evening Service (Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis) in G major, Op. 81  - Charles Villiers Stanford  - Boris Ord
O praise the Lord  - Adrian Batten  - Boris Ord
O clap your hands, anthem for 8 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O Lord, increase my faith, anthem for 4 voices (possibly by H. Loosemore)  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
Hosanna to the son of David, anthem for 6 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O Lord, in thy wrath rebuke me not, anthem for 6 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
Almighty and everlasting God, anthem for 4 voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O God, the King of Glory, anthem for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
Fantasia on the 1st tone, for double organ, MB7  - Orlando Gibbons  - Hugh McLean
First preces and psalm (145) for Evensong on Whitsunday, for voices  - Orlando Gibbons  - Boris Ord
O Come, All Ye Faithful (Adeste fideles)  - John Francis Wade  - Boris Ord
The infant King (Basque)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
The Three Kings (Die Könige) ("Three Kings from Persian lands afar")  - Peter Cornelius  - Boris Ord
Shepherd's Cradle Song  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
While Shepherds Watched Their Flocks (adapted from Handel)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
A Virgin Most Pure (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
Hail! Blessed Virgin Mary, for chorus (after traditional Italian)  - Charles Wood  - Boris Ord
In dulci jubilo, for soloists & chorus  - Robert Lucas Pearsall  - Boris Ord
God Rest You Merry, Gentlemen (English)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
Es ist ein Ros entsprungen (Lo, How a Rose E'er Blooming), for chorus  - Michael Praetorius  - Boris Ord
Up! Good Christian Folk, and Listen (Piae cantiones)  - Christmas Traditional  - Boris Ord
Weihnachtsoratorium (Christmas Oratorio), in six parts, BWV 248 (BC D7): And There Were Shepherds. Chorale (Sung in English  - Boris Ord  - Johann Sebastian Bach
Once in Royal David's City, carol  - Henry John Gauntlett  - Boris Ord

Sacrée vache!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: Camphy on December 04, 2015, 09:00:30 AM

This definitely looks appealing to a chamber music nut like me.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!