Author Topic: Sir George Dyson (1883-1964)  (Read 14236 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Sir George Dyson (1883-1964)
« Reply #60 on: October 02, 2017, 09:15:04 AM »
Dyson's Concerto da Chiesa is a fine work in the great English tradition of music for string orchestra.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline Maestro267

• Veteran member
  • Currently Listening to:
    Myaskovsky, Schnittke, Pettersson and others
« Reply #61 on: October 02, 2017, 09:57:06 AM »
Interesting news - thank you. I note it's a very early work. The St Paul work is good I have it on another CD.

Yes, interestingly composed around the time of Mahler 8 and Vaughan Williams' Sea Symphony (1910), thus putting it amongst the first predominantly-choral symphonies written.

Dyson's Concerto da Chiesa is a fine work in the great English tradition of music for string orchestra.

I need to give that another listen. I've got it on a disc with the Symphony in G.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2017, 12:21:27 AM »
Yes, interestingly composed around the time of Mahler 8 and Vaughan Williams' Sea Symphony (1910), thus putting it amongst the first predominantly-choral symphonies written.

I need to give that another listen. I've got it on a disc with the Symphony in G.

That's a great disc. Better in the Symphony than the Chandos recording I think, although they are both good.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #63 on: June 03, 2021, 04:49:46 AM »
I have an unnatural love of everything George Dyson. Aside from the Chandos oratorios, the Naxos Choral Symphony, and his Symphony in G already mentioned in this thread, might I also proffer the attention he received from the Somm and Dutton Epoch labels:

If you haven't heard his The Blacksmiths, it is about as close as Dyson could ever get to a modernist voice from his English Pastoral School leanings.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2021, 05:00:51 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2021, 08:40:14 AM »
I have an unnatural love of everything George Dyson. Aside from the Chandos oratorios, the Naxos Choral Symphony, and his Symphony in G already mentioned in this thread, might I also proffer the attention he received from the Somm and Dutton Epoch labels:

If you haven't heard his The Blacksmiths, it is about as close as Dyson could ever get to a modernist voice from his English Pastoral School leanings.
Nothing unnatural I think! I have all those CDs, I think, other than 'The Open Window'. The Symphony, 'Quo Vadis' and Concerto da Chiesa remain my favourites. He's an interesting and worthwhile composer and the neglect of the Symphony, in particular, surprises me. Nice to see this thread revived from its four year slumber!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline VonStupp

• Amazon Public Profile
    Backtracking through my catalog
« Reply #65 on: June 04, 2021, 05:30:06 AM »

Nothing unnatural I think! I have all those CDs, I think, other than 'The Open Window'. The Symphony, 'Quo Vadis' and Concerto da Chiesa remain my favourites. He's an interesting and worthwhile composer and the neglect of the Symphony, in particular, surprises me. Nice to see this thread revived from its four year slumber!

I rarely listen to solo piano music outside of the warhorses. Dyson's piano music in The Open Window seems a little simple sounding to me, although his 3-voiced fugues in Bach's Birthday are interesting.

Here is the promotional video of this recording: https://youtu.be/FHtSwVhU-3E

« Last Edit: June 04, 2021, 05:43:30 AM by VonStupp »
“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”