The Music Room > Opera and Vocal

Opera on DVD

<< < (2/157) > >>

uffeviking:
I had the DVD of Gloriana with Josephine Barstow and I am sure it was the same production as the one with Sarah Walker, the one you saw life. I traded my Barstow 'Adriana' for the Walker because the facial contortions of Barstow drove me nuts! I could have just listened to the music, but the production is so beautiful, I wanted to see it all. So I lost Tom Randle in the trade-off, I survived the loss!

I am sorry to hear about the opera world losing Colin Graham, a gentleman of the treasured old style, if I can take this Gloriana production as the norm of his style.   :'(

Wendell_E:

--- Quote from: uffeviking on April 08, 2007, 05:24:21 PM ---I had the DVD of Gloriana with Josephine Barstow and I am sure it was the same production as the one with Sarah Walker, the one you saw life.
--- End quote ---

Actually the DVD with Barstow is Phyllidia Lloyd's Opera North production.  As I understand it, the film, also directed by Lloyd, makes a lot of cuts in the opera that weren't in the stage production.

I also saw Graham's production of Previn's A Streetcar Named Desire when it was done in New Orleans, but I wasn't tempted to buy the DVD of that one (Previn's fault, not Graham's).

uffeviking:
Interesting news! The sets on both productions were so similar, I thought the same director was at work!

Something else interesting: I had the Previn Streetcar and tried at least five times, over a period of time, to stick with it longer than half an hour, but not even Rod Gilfry's bare chest could keep me interested. Since I am not familiar with the original work, I hoped I could understand the singers but RenĂ© Fleming's elocution is atrocious, no help from her.  :(

Maciek:

--- Quote from: knight on April 08, 2007, 03:11:12 AM ---Lis, LOL....after all that, I am none the wiser as I know neither the opera nor the composer. The longer we go on the less I seem to know.

Mike

--- End quote ---

Don't worry, Mike. I'll start a separate thread on that as soon as I finish looking through the new posts on interesting threads that have cropped out while I was away.

marvinbrown:

I did not know where to post this inquiry so I figured this is the best place.  For the past couple of days I have been looking for GREAT recordings of Wagner's Ring Cycle on DVD (among other operas on DVD and Bach cantatas).  I am looking for a Ring Cycle set in mythical times.  I have been put off by modern adaptations (eg. the Ring set in modern times where Wotan is dressed in a suit ::)).  I would like see Fafner as a dragon, the Rheinmaidens, the Walkurie on horses and so on.  I was intrigued by the cover of Levine's Ring.  Is this as good as it looks:

Or should I be looking elsewhere?

Any advice would be appreciated

marvin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version