Opera on DVD

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

The other evening. Mamochka and I watched Katerina Izmailova (the 1966 Lenfilm with Vishnevskaya both singing and acting the title role).  It was my second pass through this one, in a slowburn project to get to know both the revised version and the original.  What I might have predicted if I had given it thought:   the Leskov novella is a classic, of course, so Mom's immediate impressions through the course of the opera, were a matter of disappointment at how the opera simplified the story, and 'washed out' much that is beautiful (and illuminative of various characters) in the novella.  I don't think that is 'permanent' (though it will be a while before I could watch it again with Mom, she would feel that her patience is being tried);  and in all events, she also expressed appreciation for the music, as a fine artistic statement more important than the loss suffered by the literary source.

The Decca DVD also has two musical numbers from Moskva: Cheryomushki, and that tickled Mom no end -- it's a light entertainment she's known from girlhood, and she never suspected that the music was by Shostakovich.

The new erato

Recently watched Hundemiths Cardillac with Nagano/Paris opera. Outstanding staging, very good acting, superb music - very believable stuff - go for it!

karlhenning

Quote from: erato on November 28, 2007, 10:34:54 AM
Hundemiths Cardillac

Not to pounce on an innocent typo (though this one's a dog) . . . one of the fun pages in the leaflet for the DG reissue of the Berliner Philharmoniker recordings conducted by Hindemith himself, is one page of facsimile from a notebook he kept of various misspellings of his name  8)

The new erato

Hindemith bist kein Hund! In fact I have a really soft spot for his music.

karlhenning

Is there aught in addition to Cardillac on that DVD? This opera is one of my more annoying Hindemith lacunae . . . .

The new erato

Quote from: karlhenning on November 28, 2007, 12:38:06 PM
Is there aught in addition to Cardillac on that DVD? This opera is one of my more annoying Hindemith lacunae . . . .
A 50 min documentary on the background to Cardillac, which I haven't seen, but plan to,

yashin

Am bumping this one up.

Anyone bought anything good recently? Seems like a flurry of good looking DVDs out now.

Am shopping for some this weekend and hope to find somthing nice.  Any opinion on these?

The Tristan und Isolde with Nina Stemme from Glyndebourne.  I loved her in Rosenkavalier but she left me cold in Aida.  Any good as Isolde? I really enjoy the Armin Jordan/Oliver Py production on DVD with Charbonnet as Isolde so i am not sure i need to replace it

Wozzeck from Liceu with Angela Denoke.  Have seen some mixed reviews from excellent to rubbish.  I really love this opera. Since there are not many available on DVD i am looking for something good.  I adore Denoke too. I used to have the Barenboim video from Paris with Grundheber and i loved it-this would be my first choice on DVD.  I did pick up the DVD with Dale Duesing as Wozzeck.

Hansel und Gretel - never seen this opera.  I have a cd version with Runniclecs conducting.  I am looking at the DVD from Dresden on the Euroarts label.

Finally, another opera i have never seen or heard is Ariadne auf naxos with Emily Magee and Elena Mosuc. I have read great reviews of this.

Opinions on these would be great.  Or have you bought anything terrific recenltly on DVD?

Anne

yashin,

I like the Solti Hansel und Gretel very much.  In the middle of the story the children are lost in the woods.  Angels come down from heaven to surround them and keep them safe until morning.  The music for this scene is so beautiful!

uffeviking

Yashin, I have almost given up looking for any further Tristan und Isolde after I watched the Olivier Py production. What a colossal work! All the symbolism he gives us to think about and try to fathom; a work keeping an inquiring mind busy for a long time.

To really stir the pot here: Do you agree with the possibility hinted at by Py, of König Marke and Tristan being gay partners? And of course all the following implications of jealousy and so on?  ???

stridonolassu

Re: L'Amour des Trois Oranges.  I highly recommend the Opus Arte release from Amsterdam.  I am a fan of Pelly's creative productions, and this one is not just quite beautiful to look at but very impressive.  Excellent singing/acting/conducting, and as usual with Opus Arte the (video/sound) quality is of the highest order.  I'm sure even those who don't know or are not very familiar with Prokofiev's score would enjoy it.  I have not yet watched the newest TDK or BelAir releases but I'm looking forward to them, they have a tough act to follow.

marvinbrown

Quote from: uffeviking on March 30, 2008, 06:47:33 PM
Yashin, I have almost given up looking for any further Tristan und Isolde after I watched the Olivier Py production. What a colossal work! All the symbolism he gives us to think about and try to fathom; a work keeping an inquiring mind busy for a long time.

To really stir the pot here: Do you agree with the possibility hinted at by Py, of König Marke and Tristan being gay partners? And of course all the following implications of jealousy and so on?  ???

King Mark and Tristan gay partners  :o!

marvin

yashin

I managed to get the Polaski/Treleaven DVD of Tristan from Liceu on the Opus Arte Label.

I would agree with you about the Belair classique label DVDs -i usually find them first rate, cutting edge productions and i can't think of one which i don't like.  Indeed the La Traviata with Mirelle Delunsche is one of my favourites.  The Tristan und Isolde directed by Oliver Py is terrific in my opinion.  It is interesting to compare it with the Opus Arte DVD which is played much slower by De Billy.  I quite like the Opus Arte DVD but it is not better than the Oliver Py production.

I also managed to get the Lohengrin from Dresden with Treleaven and De Vol and Emily Magee.  I like this updated version into the classroom.  Much better than the Domingo DVD with Abbado conducting a traditional production.

King Mark and Tristan gay lovers.....what a thought....i will have to re-run through the Oliver Py interview.  One thing i would note about the Belair classique/Oliver Py DVD is the terrific info in the booklet about the directors thoughts on the opera....very informative.

marvinbrown

Quote from: yashin on April 03, 2008, 01:07:49 AM
I managed to get the Polaski/Treleaven DVD of Tristan from Liceu on the Opus Arte Label.

Hi Yashin,  I have seen bits and pieces of the Polaski/Treleaven DVD of Tristan.  I liked the set design of Act 1 (the foredeck of a ship) very much. With those moving splayed walls you get the sense that you really are on a ship!!  Also Polaski is wonderful as Isolde.  However from what I can remember I found the set design for Act 2 rather silly if not annoying!  I never got around to seeing Act 3 so I can not comment.  I would be very interested in hearing your reactions to this recording.  Please write a review if you get a chance. 

marvin

Haffner

Die Meistersinger (Wagner)

The Bayreuth dvd featuring Weikl and Jerusalem.

I'm only familiar with the old Solti recording of this opera, so please keep this in mind if I seem to be raving a bit.

Just got done watching and hearing the first act, and I am very happy and inspired. The singer whom plays David in the opera is often fantastic, his control of tone and breath control can be extremely impressive. Jerusalem sounds quite good here as well; it seems like this opera was filmed shortly after his performance on the Stein Parsifal dvd. At this point (as on the aforementioned dvd) he sounds very very good...if not great. The slight hoarse quality of his voice on the later Levine Ring dvd is not in evidence here.

I can understand what fltraverso meant when writing about bang bang Wagner getting a bit tiring (I'm paraphrasing so forgive me, Fang). And this dvd (at least so far) has a lot of bang. But the sound is tremendous, the singers overall better than good, and I'm not only greatly enjoying this opera (first time seeing it) but looking forward to checking out the other two dvds mentioned here of it.

This is overall an exhilirating first act, at least for me!

Okay, onto the second!

Fëanor

Quote from: Haffner on April 03, 2008, 04:00:19 PM
Die Meistersinger (Wagner)

The Bayreuth dvd featuring Weikl and Jerusalem.

Wonderful -- and great 5.1 channel sound to boot  :D

My DVD opera collection is small as yet, but this is my favourite production by a wide measure so far.

Keemun

This weekend I finally watched this DVD which was recommended on this thread (Lethe I think):

It was the first opera I watched in its entirety and it was great.  Next I want to watch one of the Wagner operas recommended here.  :)
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Haffner

Quote from: Feanor on April 07, 2008, 02:42:06 AM
Wonderful -- and great 5.1 channel sound to boot  :D

My DVD opera collection is small as yet, but this is my favourite production by a wide measure so far.

Acts II and III were very good as well. The Finale was absolutely fantastic. Again I use the word "exhilirating".

karlhenning

Quote from: Keemun on April 07, 2008, 06:04:49 AM
It was the first opera I watched in its entirety and it was great.

Splendid!  I still have a soft spot for La bohème, way back in high school we sang the chorus in a concert performance.

head-case

Quote from: yashin on March 27, 2008, 07:29:28 PM
Wozzeck from Liceu with Angela Denoke.  Have seen some mixed reviews from excellent to rubbish.  I really love this opera. Since there are not many available on DVD i am looking for something good.  I adore Denoke too. I used to have the Barenboim video from Paris with Grundheber and i loved it-this would be my first choice on DVD.  I did pick up the DVD with Dale Duesing as Wozzeck.

Extended scenes in which the backdrop is a projected image of a cadaver being dissected, lots of scenes with nude extras portraying dead bodies being tossed around the stage.  One character seems to be dressed as Elvis.  You can decide if that sounds intriguing.

uffeviking

It is important to know that the above mentioned production is directed by Calixto Bieito!