Opera on DVD

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rubio

I saw this one borrowed from the library this evening. The performance is semi-perverse/vulgar, but I find the opera/DVD/music very fascinating. I think the visual part is important for this piece, so I don't think I will invest in a CD of it.

"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

uffeviking

If you are looking for something different, but with the two best singers we have right now, try the EMI DVD of Ambroise Thomas's Hamlet.

Simon Keenlyside in the title role, matched in talent, singing and acting with Natalie Dessay. They don't come any better, believe me! - I wrote a review at the old GMG, I'll look for it.

bhodges

Quote from: uffeviking on May 29, 2007, 09:24:44 AM
If you are looking for something different, but with the two best singers we have right now, try the EMI DVD of Ambroise Thomas's Hamlet.

Simon Keenlyside in the title role, matched in talent, singing and acting with Natalie Dessay. They don't come any better, believe me! - I wrote a review at the old GMG, I'll look for it.

Thanks for this notice, Lis.  Last week Dessay was supposed to do the "Mad Scene" from Hamlet with the Met Orchestra, but had to bow out due to bronchitis.  Supposedly it's quite a showpiece, so I'm glad to know the DVD is available so I can see what all the fuss is about.  (And of course, Keenlyside is pretty marvelous, too.)

--Bruce

uffeviking

That' what you should look for, during your lunch break, today, NOW! Keenlyside in the banquet scene is mad, believe me, really mad!

uffeviking

Ophelia's mad scene is the one captured the longest applause I have ever seen and heard, Nigel and I timed it once and I think it was more than five minutes, on stage, not during a curtain call!

springrite

Quote from: uffeviking on May 29, 2007, 09:31:48 AM
That' what you should look for, during your lunch break, today, NOW! Keenlyside in the banquet scene is mad, believe me, really mad!

I bought this last week and truly enjoyed watching it! I am glad though that it did not have the 5 minute applause!

uffeviking

Mine doesn't either!

Five minutes sounded just a tad too long for me too, so I played disc 2 again just now, watching the time. The Mad Scene lasts ten minutes, ten minutes of madness, of pain, agony and of the most astonishing coloratura soprano singing I recall. Such a tiny woman with such a powerful voice! And then the house erupted in a virtual thunder of bravos and applause and it lasted a bit over 2 1/2 minutes. That still could possibly be the longest on-stage applause on record. Maybe Callas received a longer ovation, I don't know.

Wendell_E

In the mailbox today:

uffeviking

I am sure missing a lot of great DVDs since T.C. isn't here any more! Wendell, do you find those treasures at MDT?

Mozart

Quote from: marvinbrown on May 01, 2007, 06:37:41 AM
  Just ordered this recording of Un Ballo,  I was surprised to learn that Karajan was supposed to conduct the VPO in this performance but passed away before the performance, Solti took over as conductor on short notice,  the performance however comes highly recommended

I always prefer Domingo over Pavarotti in Verdi's operas.  Verdi's operas tend to  have leading men who are either military men, womanizers, playboys or royal figures (kings, dukes etc.)  Pavarotti never seems to look the part with his overweight body and short stature. Will report back once I see this performance

marvin 

What a handsome man on the cover! I bet its awesome!

***I ment Solti of coarse ;) not P Dom

Wendell_E

Quote from: uffeviking on May 30, 2007, 07:19:16 PM
I am sure missing a lot of great DVDs since T.C. isn't here any more! Wendell, do you find those treasures at MDT?

It was someone at the old forum (probably T.C., but I don't recall) that alerted us to this release).  I pre-ordered it from amazon.com.  It was just released here in the U.S. this past Tuesday, and arrived Wednesday.

Greta

Where or how would it possible to rent opera DVDs? :) My local video stores have nothing of the sort. Not much demand around here I'm sure...  ::)

Is there an online service (maybe Netflix?) that has these type of DVDs for rent?

uffeviking

Have you tried your local library?  :)

springrite

Quote from: uffeviking on June 04, 2007, 07:50:37 PM
Have you tried your local library?  :)

Maybe it is high time for an Uffeviking Opera DVD Rental Service.

uffeviking

Not a good idea at all, Paul! - Or maybe only with the proviso the arrangement will be reciprocal: You loan me some of yours, I'll loan you some of mine - and if you don't return mine, I sure as hell won't return yours!  >:D

Wendell_E

Quote from: Greta on June 04, 2007, 07:46:38 PM
Where or how would it possible to rent opera DVDs? :) My local video stores have nothing of the sort. Not much demand around here I'm sure...  ::)

Is there an online service (maybe Netflix?) that has these type of DVDs for rent?

Yes, Netflix has lots of opera DVDs.  Blockbuster does as well.  I've used Netflix for almost six years, and like it, but with more opera DVDs being released as two-(or even three-) disc sets, it's irritating that each disc is a separate rental.  But there are still plenty of single-disc operas available.

My local public library has a few DVDs, but nowhere near the selection that Netflix has.

yashin

The lady of Mtsensk DVD from Amsterdam is superior to the earlier DVD from the Liceu.  It is much more claustaphobic to watch and you get a greater sense of the what it is all about.  it is very interesting to watch one after the other to get an idea of the interpretation, sound of the orchestra etc.  Highly recommend the one from Amsterdam.

The Hamlet with Keenlyside and Dessay is also very good.  True the mad scene is superb and Dessay deserves the ovation for the acting alone.  Her singing is sublime.  This was a new opera to me and a great introduction.

I actually got both for 15 Euro each in Barcelona.  Original versions but without any written document inside.  Well worth the price.

Am waiting to get my hands on a number of DVDs.  Has anyone seen any of these-

Jenufa with Stemme and Marton- what a pairing.  Heard very good reviews about the live performance -Martons last at the Liceu?  I think this is the same production as at the met recently.  Is from OPUS ARTE.

Gotterdammerung from Deutsche Grammophon -anyone know of this with Polaski, Struckmann from Bayreuther Festspiele with James Levine.  Why are they not bringing out the earlier parts of this cycle?  Were they not recorded? Seems strange.

Haffner

Quote from: Greta on June 04, 2007, 07:46:38 PM

You want netflix. Trust me.

Wendell_E

Quote from: yashin on June 05, 2007, 05:59:29 AM
Gotterdammerung from Deutsche Grammophon -anyone know of this with Polaski, Struckmann from Bayreuther Festspiele with James Levine.  Why are they not bringing out the earlier parts of this cycle?  Were they not recorded? Seems strange.

The DG website says "This is Alfred Kirchner's only filmed opera production in Bayreuth".  I agree, that does seem strange.

karlhenning

Well, at long last, we watched the DVD of L'Orfeo in its entirety.  Beautifully staged, many beautiful voices!!, antique winds playing in tune (blessed relief), sheer delight every way.

(Two or three moments of caprine singing, oh that old-fangled ornamentation, but nothing seriously jarring.)