Opera on DVD

Started by uffeviking, April 08, 2007, 12:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haffner

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2007, 10:22:41 AM
Lis, you may quibble with the cuts, but the Zeffirelli films are not kitsch.

I agree. Those films really helped me get interested in the stage productions of those operas...even the various recorded versions. Kitsch seems really harsh, I still love those films.

marvinbrown

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2007, 10:23:45 AM
As to converts, the day that tickets to the opera are on par with the cost of DVDs, is the day that I attend as many opera performances . . . .

FINALLY......................something Karl and I can agree on  :) !!!!

that and the fact that we both like Verdi's La Traviata (haven't bought a DVD for La Traviata yet Karl but I am glad you opened up the topic)!!!!

marvin

Anne

Quote from: karlhenning on June 21, 2007, 12:11:48 AM
"I very much enjoy the Zeffirelli film of La traviata (Stratas & Domingo)"

Anne:
"I love that recording too.

The other film I like is Carmen with Domingo, Migenes -Johnson conducted by L. Maazel."

Marv, if you decide to purchase these 2 opera films, you will not be sorry.  They have been favorites of mine for 15 years.  I have seen some other performances and they always come in second to these 2 films.  I will be quiet now.

uffeviking

Quote from: karlhenning on June 20, 2007, 10:22:41 AM
Lis, you may quibble with the cuts, but the Zeffirelli films are not kitsch.

OK, Karl! I withdraw the word Kitsch and replace with Schmalz. Better now?  ;)

knight66

I think the Zeffirelli Traviata should fall into the 'guilty pleasure' category. The sets are as much protagonists as are the singers and this is frequently a fault with this director. He often almost smothers actors or singers, as he is such a visual artist. The look of the thing becomes paramount and detracts from the essentials.

Traviata is like opening an exploding box of chocolates and being force fed on the whole lot. Mind you....we need attention drawn away from some of the caterwaling of Stratas in Act 1, she is fine thereafter.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

marvinbrown

Quote from: Anne on June 21, 2007, 04:30:48 PM
Quote from: karlhenning on June 21, 2007, 12:11:48 AM
"I very much enjoy the Zeffirelli film of La traviata (Stratas & Domingo)"

Anne:
"I love that recording too.

The other film I like is Carmen with Domingo, Migenes -Johnson conducted by L. Maazel."

Marv, if you decide to purchase these 2 opera films, you will not be sorry.  They have been favorites of mine for 15 years.  I have seen some other performances and they always come in second to these 2 films.  I will be quiet now.

Thanks Anne. I definitely need La Traviata and Carmen to add to my DVD collection.  My target is to get all the operas I have on audio cd (50+) on DVD (I think I won't be able to find Wagner's Reinzi though  ???).   I like the concept of opera films very much- no audience clapping nor audible coughing during the slow parts. Not to shift the subject away from La Traviata and Carmen but speaking of opera films I have seen R. Staruss Salome (Bohm),an opera film, and liked that one very much.  The other one that I have been eyeing from a distance and have heard GREAT reviews about is this one which I believe is also an opera film:

The reviews that I read  say this is not to be missed!!!!
  marvin

knight66

The Elektra is a magnificent performance, dripping with damp, blood and tension. The musicmaking is full of energy, the acting suitably OTT. I think this was Bohm's final project and it again proves that he was well capable of the visceral and the full blown dramatic approach.

The setting is iron-age grunge with dramatic lighting and a touch of decadence, highly suitable.

Mike

Anne

Marv,

I am not a big fan of R. Strauss and don't feel comfortable suggesting any performance.  You're better served by listening to the other people who will make suggestions.

karlhenning

Quote from: knight on June 21, 2007, 09:33:58 PM
I think the Zeffirelli Traviata should fall into the 'guilty pleasure' category. The sets are as much protagonists as are the singers and this is frequently a fault with this director.

Yet, a great fault to have, Mike :-)

marvinbrown

Quote from: knight on June 22, 2007, 01:50:08 AM
The Elektra is a magnificent performance, dripping with damp, blood and tension. The musicmaking is full of energy, the acting suitably OTT. I think this was Bohm's final project and it again proves that he was well capable of the visceral and the full blown dramatic approach.

The setting is iron-age grunge with dramatic lighting and a touch of decadence, highly suitable.

Mike

Marvelous!!!  Just the review I was hoping for and so befitting Strauss' Elektra.  Strauss' Elektra is a one of a kind (at least in my collection) it is so dissonant, so powerfully engaging,  kind of like drinking a double espresso (coffee anyone?)  Found this recording on amazon.co.uk marketplace for £9.17 it went straight into my shopping cart  ;D!!!!

thanks Mike

marvin

knight66

Marvin, Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers,

Mike

Siedler

I haven't seen that DVD of Elektra but I loved this one:

marvinbrown

Quote from: Siedler on June 22, 2007, 02:30:38 PM
I haven't seen that DVD of Elektra but I loved this one:

I am not familiar with that recording Siedler... I was wondering if you could write a little review of your impressions of the Abbado Elektra (basically the stage setting, constumes, adaptations, sound etc.) 

I just ordered the Bohm DVD opera film of Elektra, and will be writing my impressions after I see it. 

marvin   

yashin

Just bought Verdi's Otello with Cura.  It is fairly new on OPUSARTE.  He is not everyones ideal voice i know, and he does not match the greats in my opinion -i much prefer Giacomini in this role, or Del Monaco.  Domingo is fine, his voice does not offend me so i can easily watch him.  I must admit Cura acts the part well, looks the part but all that scooping of notes he seems to do does not fit the part.  His voice also seems a touch light for the part.

Another DVD i bought was La Clemenza Di Tito with Susan Graham from Paris.  This has been out for a short while and it is my first look at La Clemenza and i must admit so far (i have only seen disc 1) it looks and sounds terrific.  It has the same feel as the Glyndebourne Cesare also from OPUSARTE.

Anyone else seen these -got any opinions?
What about other versions of La Clemenza?  I am a great fan of Kasarova and i see now she is in 2 DVDs of this opera.  Any good?

I do have one little niggle and that is with OPUSARTE.  Why are they so expensive?  I know the visual and sound quality is excellent-no grumbles there but do we really need a thick booklet in many languages and a load of photo's?  I would not mind if the booklet was actually informative or gave a new slant on the opera.

The Clemenza DVD has some speel but no synopsis.  The Otello DVD has a synopsis and some info about the opera.  I much prefer the Belair classiques style of DVD (see La Traviata or Tristan) where they give a really good article from the director about his thoughts and conceptions.  Very interesting to read.

marvinbrown

Quote from: yashin on June 24, 2007, 01:03:52 AM
Just bought Verdi's Otello with Cura.  It is fairly new on OPUSARTE.  He is not everyones ideal voice i know, and he does not match the greats in my opinion -i much prefer Giacomini in this role, or Del Monaco.  Domingo is fine, his voice does not offend me so i can easily watch him.  I must admit Cura acts the part well, looks the part but all that scooping of notes he seems to do does not fit the part.  His voice also seems a touch light for the part.

Another DVD i bought was La Clemenza Di Tito with Susan Graham from Paris.  This has been out for a short while and it is my first look at La Clemenza and i must admit so far (i have only seen disc 1) it looks and sounds terrific.  It has the same feel as the Glyndebourne Cesare also from OPUSARTE.

Anyone else seen these -got any opinions?
What about other versions of La Clemenza?  I am a great fan of Kasarova and i see now she is in 2 DVDs of this opera.  Any good?

I do have one little niggle and that is with OPUSARTE.  Why are they so expensive?  I know the visual and sound quality is excellent-no grumbles there but do we really need a thick booklet in many languages and a load of photo's?  I would not mind if the booklet was actually informative or gave a new slant on the opera.

The Clemenza DVD has some speel but no synopsis.  The Otello DVD has a synopsis and some info about the opera.  I much prefer the Belair classiques style of DVD (see La Traviata or Tristan) where they give a really good article from the director about his thoughts and conceptions.  Very interesting to read.

Hi Yashin.  first let me say that I agree with you that the role of Otello needs a deep and dark voice (qualities that I believe Domingo possesses)  I have not seen the Cura dvd but I do have this one with Domingo who sings and looks the part perfectly.  (Warning: Domingo overacts SHAMELESSLY in this MET Levine recording but his singing more than makes up for it and the stage design looks like something you would see in a big budget Hollywood movie) 

marvin

springrite

Quote from: marvinbrown on June 26, 2007, 03:47:15 AM
 Warning: Domingo overacts SHAMELESSLY in this MET Levine recording  

Yes, he's been known to do that. Then again, SHAMELESS overacting is much preferred to SHAMEFUL acting (or non-acting), at least for me.  ;)

marvinbrown

Quote from: knight on June 22, 2007, 06:40:17 AM
Marvin, Let us know how you get on with it.

Cheers,

Mike

I spent the afternoon watching Bohm's Elektra (Strauss) and as promised I shall give a brief review and first impressions of the opera production:

Where to start, well lets try the beginning: It is a rainy, gloomy day (much like the weather in London today  ::)) .  The set design as Mike mentioned is in iron-age grunge, and quite impressive to look at.  The opening notes echoing Aga-mem-non forshadow the viscious madness that is to follow.  We then see the servants then Elektra standing there in the rain, lamenting the loss of her father and voicing chillingly her appetite for revenge. She bears a striking resemblance to that demonically possessed girl from the movie The Exorcist.  Under Karl Bohm, The Vienna Philharmonic deliver the music powerfully amplifying the horrific stage setting. There is a constant underlying threatening mood in the execution of the music.  During the dissonant parts the music is presented raw with enough tension to make the calmest person uneasy.  And during those beautiful melodic parts (when Elektra recognizes Orestes) the Vienna Philharmonic presents the music with remarkable depth, passion and beauty. I was hooked throughout the entire performance. The singing was superb, especially Leonie Bysanek as Elektra and Astrid Varnay as Klytamnestra.  Highly Dramatic and yes over blown.

With regrads to the execution scenes, thankfully these were not graphic enough to be visually disturbing (yes there is blood, dripping blood pouring out of windows, in "bathtubs" etc.) but thankfully no highly graphic visual impalements and stabbings  in the style of Quintin Tarentino (Bohm had enough sense to know where to stop- or did he??).

Rating: 4-1/2 stars- Restricted  $:)

PS: Better leave the kids at their aunt's house before watching this one  0:) .   

I should mention that the dvd comes with a behind the scenes look at the making of this production...which was an added treat  :).

marvin

Tancata

Just thought I'd pop in to recommend this DVD to anyone who likes Monteverdi's operas:

You can believe the hype about this performance. Some of the singing is a bit ragged, but the combination of singing and acting cannot be faulted or, AFAIK, bettered anywhere else. This feels like a sung play, exactly what Monteverdi wanted (probably...). Marijana Mijanovic is especially great. Her masculine voice and androgynous magnetism is perfect for Penelope. Most of her acting is pretty good, and even when it's a bit OTT you can tell she put some thought into it.

There's also enough jiggly bits dancing around to satisfy most lovers of modern opera production.

johnshade

Quote from: marvinbrown

The reviews that I read  say this is not to be missed!!!!
  marvin
Yes -- not to be missed. The Abaddo with Marton and Fassbaender is self-recommending. I will get it also.
The sun's a thief, and with her great attraction robs the vast sea, the moon's an arrant thief, and her pale fire she snatches from the sun  (Shakespeare)

Iago

Is this DVD of "Elektra" in a 4:3 (standard TV) or 16:9 (widescreen-HD TV) screen size?
Is it in a 1.33:1, 1.78:1. 1.85:1. 2.35:1 or 2.40:1 aspect ratio?
Is it in 5.1 Dolby Digital  surround sound, 2 track PCM stereo, or monophonic sound?

In todays day and age, these are things which a music lover must know BEFORE he/she should make an investment in the DVD.
"Good", is NOT good enough, when "better" is expected