Tallis titillation

Started by Peregrine, November 17, 2007, 12:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haydnguy

FideLeo

It is nice not to have to start or end any Tallis collection with yet another Spem :)

Also a great chance to hear similar works by the great teacher and his greatest pupil.
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

vers la flamme

Bump. (12 years later...)

Yesterday I picked up this recording at HPB for $1...:

It sounds incredible! Anyway, this is the first and only Tallis in my library, and my interest is piqued. What are some other great recordings of Tallis's music? Perhaps the Scholars have some other worthy recordings?

Biffo

Quote from: vers la flamme on February 06, 2021, 08:28:09 AM
Bump. (12 years later...)

Yesterday I picked up this recording at HPB for $1...:

It sounds incredible! Anyway, this is the first and only Tallis in my library, and my interest is piqued. What are some other great recordings of Tallis's music? Perhaps the Scholars have some other worthy recordings?

The Tallis Scholars have a 2 disc set (Gimmel) to celebrate the 500th anniversary of Tallis' birth (2005). There is also a 2 disc set from Decca of King's College Cambridge Choir but some of the recordings date back to 1961 - it depends on whether you like the King's sound. For choirs of boys & men I prefer Winchester Cathedral Choir and they have recorded a couple of Tallis albums with David Hill.

The Chapelle du Roi under Alistair Dixon have recorded the complete works, available in a Brilliant box; probably best to sample it (if you can) before taking the plunge