Brian Eno/ Harold Budd

Started by snyprrr, March 12, 2009, 09:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/4

The Pavilion of Dreams - it took me a long time to appreciate that album, I didn't like the saxophone when I first heard it 30 something years ago. I like it fine now!

Peter Garland has a nice CD of string qts on Cold Blue that I really like.

torut

In his book American Music in the Twentieth Century, Kyle Gann mentioned Harold Budd as one of the "other minimalists." ("The minimalists" are Young, Riley, Reich, Glass and Monk.) Although the length is just about half a page, Budd is usually not mentioned so much in this kind of books.

Gann wrote: "Few minimalists have deserved the title more than Harold Budd did early in his career." [...] Budd "exemplifies more than anyone else the mellow school of California minimalism (even Riley looks uptight by comparison)" [...] "no other American figure seems so far from academia, so radically intuitive and uninterested in structures or explanations. His music feels like aural incense, almost ambient, characterized by silky, arpeggiated seventh chords played on electric pianos, harps, and vibraphones, modified by delays and harmonizers, in a lazy atmosphere."

7/4

Quote from: torut on May 26, 2014, 08:30:25 PM
In his book American Music in the Twentieth Century, Kyle Gann mentioned Harold Budd as one of the "other minimalists." ("The minimalists" are Young, Riley, Reich, Glass and Monk.) Although the length is just about half a page, Budd is usually not mentioned so much in this kind of books.

Gann wrote: "Few minimalists have deserved the title more than Harold Budd did early in his career." [...] Budd "exemplifies more than anyone else the mellow school of California minimalism (even Riley looks uptight by comparison)" [...] "no other American figure seems so far from academia, so radically intuitive and uninterested in structures or explanations. His music feels like aural incense, almost ambient, characterized by silky, arpeggiated seventh chords played on electric pianos, harps, and vibraphones, modified by delays and harmonizers, in a lazy atmosphere."

I have that book. I've wondered why he never wrote more about Budd. Kyle's said he listened to him quite a bit when he was younger.

torut

I am curious about how Harold Budd's compositions are regarded in classical music world. Except the Gann's book, I have seen his name only in books about Rock/Ambient music. (An ambient guide book describes The Pavilion of Dreams as "New Age", the term Budd hates. ;D)

Quote from: 7/4 on May 26, 2014, 01:20:24 PM
Peter Garland has a nice CD of string qts on Cold Blue that I really like.
It is very nice, thank you. The string quartets sounds very American to me. Occasionally, some phrasings reminded me of Reich, but Garland's music is not repetitive.

7/4

Quote from: torut on May 27, 2014, 11:31:17 AM
I am curious about how Harold Budd's compositions are regarded in classical music world. Except the Gann's book, I have seen his name only in books about Rock/Ambient music. (An ambient guide book describes The Pavilion of Dreams as "New Age", the term Budd hates. ;D)

I think he's influential, but also part of a larger California/West Coast sound. He taught at CalArts.

7/4

Peter Schmidt

"Peter Schmidt met Brian Eno as a visiting lecturer at Ipswich art school in the late 1960s and later became a friend and collaborator. They found they had both independently arrived at a system of using little quotes and axioms to overcome artistic obstacles. They combined efforts to publish the Oblique Strategies cards in 1975. Brian Eno commented on Schmidt. The Oblique Strategies seem to have been an out growth of Schmidt's own "Thoughts Behind The Thoughts".

Schmidt created 1500 different silk screen portraits of Brian Eno, four of which are used on the cover of the LP Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy). The Robert Fripp and Brian Eno LP Evening Star has on its cover a Schmidt painting.

Brian Eno included four watercolor prints of Schmidt's work with the first edition of his LP Before and after Science and famously wrote in its liner notes: "Apart from our collaboration on this record, Peter and I have been working together and comparing notes for some time. In 1975 we produced a boxed set of oracle cards called "Oblique Strategies", which were used extensively in the making of this record.""

torut

Peter Schmidt's art is very good. I like the later works and Before and After Science.

Amazon started Primemusic, a free streaming service for Prime members. There are not so much classical music yet, but I found some Eno/Budd albums.

My Life in the Bush of Ghosts by Brian Eno/David Byrne
Everything That Happens Will Happen Today by David Byrne & Brian Eno
Jane 1-11 by Harold Budd
Bandits of Stature by Harold Budd

I am now listening to Jane 1-11, it feels so nice.

7/4

I like Bandits of Stature a lot!

Jane 1-11 is new, there's another volume coming.

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 13, 2014, 05:42:28 AM
I like Bandits of Stature a lot!

Jane 1-11 is new, there's another volume coming.
Is it a new recording, or another retrospective compilation?

7/4

Quote from: torut on June 13, 2014, 09:06:12 PM
Is it a new recording, or another retrospective compilation?

Both new.

Bandits of Stature = string qts
Jane = keyboards

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 14, 2014, 10:07:59 AM
Both new.

Bandits of Stature = string qts
Jane = keyboards
What is the another volume coming?  Is it Jane 12~?

7/4

Quote from: torut on June 14, 2014, 10:38:29 AM
What is the another volume coming?  Is it Jane 12~?

That's what I heard.

There's a version of Jane 1-11 with a dvd of music videos by Jane Maru.

7/4

Composer Peter Garland sent a thank you postcard to Darla Records for his copy of Bandits of Stature. Peter has an amazing album of string quartets too, String Quartets [1 & 2] (Cold Blue CB0031)

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 14, 2014, 01:08:46 PM
That's what I heard.

There's a version of Jane 1-11 with a dvd of music videos by Jane Maru.
That is good news. Thank you.

Today I listened to Harold Budd's piano album, Perhaps. It is lovely and beautiful but not too mellow. I loved it at first listen.

I had been enjoying Eno & Budd (The Plateaux Of Mirror, The Pearl) for a long time but didn't pay much attention to Budd's solo works until recently. I am liking his music more and more.

7/4

La Bella Vista is another, recent (2003) solo piano album. I like his solo piano albums, I think they come closest to his Eno albums.

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on June 16, 2014, 04:34:54 AM
La Bella Vista is another, recent (2003) solo piano album. I like his solo piano albums, I think they come closest to his Eno albums.
La Bella Vista is exceptionally beautiful. Thank you. I am listening to it repeatedly these days. I need more Harold Budd.

torut

Quote from: 7/4 on December 14, 2013, 04:33:27 PM
Harold Budd – Children on the Hill (Live '82)
http://harmonicsdb.wordpress.com/2013/12/11/harold-budd-children-on-the-hill-live-82/

The recording that Kyle Gann blogged about a few years ago shows up on YouTube.

I missed it when I read through this thread. It is excellent, thank you.

You already know (I saw your comment), Gann's transcription of this performance (not album version) played by Sarah Cahill is also very nice.
[audio]http://www.kylegann.com/BuddChildrenontheHill.mp3[/audio]

http://www.artsjournal.com/postclassic/2009/09/a_slope_of_rugrats.html

torut

Harold Budd's Jane 12-21 will be released on September 9.

[asin]B00KXYULA2[/asin]

torut

I have been listening to Jane 12-21. I cannot tell his stylistic changes (if any) because I have not heard his past music enough, but it is getting more quiet, sparse, and austere? (Sometimes it almost reminded me of Wandelweiser.) Anyway Jane 1-11 & 12-21 are superb albums, I think.

I also purchased Buddbox recently. Just listened to it once, and I love it very much. Music For 3 Pianos (with Lentz and Garcia) is especially impressive.
[asin]B00EVCGZU2[/asin]

snyprrr

I'm glad you all are getting enjoyment out of this Thread! Cheers!!