Brian Eno/ Harold Budd

Started by snyprrr, March 12, 2009, 09:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

7/4

The All Saints re-issue program continues:

Announcing expanded reissues of 4 Brian Eno albums with rare and unreleased material from the archives:
http://brian-eno.net/reissues

chadfeldheimer

Reply to an older post  :)
Quote from: 7/4 on May 26, 2013, 02:23:55 PM
Fripp, Eno, Budd, Hassell...such an influence on me in my younger years...  ::)
Great - I also love all of them, especially Eno and Hassell.
However...Budd started writing for string quartet in recent years and Eno just put out Lux, the best ambient he's done in years.
Yes - Lux is a Beauty - for me among his very best albums (including his classics from the 70s and early 80s).

torut

Quote from: chadfeldheimer on October 26, 2014, 04:15:21 AM
Reply to an older post  :)Great - I also love all of them, especially Eno and Hassell.
Yes - Lux is a Beauty - for me among his very best albums (including his classics from the 70s and early 80s).
I used to collect Brian Eno's albums but lost interest when he departed from ambient music. However, because Lux is highly praised here and elsewhere, I purchased it only recently, and I also found it very good.
I have Neroli and The Shutov Assembly (one of my favorites), but the bonus tracks of the reissues are tempting.

7/4

I have all four. Those extra tracks make them tempting, particularly Neroli.

HIPster

Quote from: 7/4 on October 29, 2014, 03:52:25 AM
I have all four. Those extra tracks make them tempting, particularly Neroli.
Agreed, 7/4!

Neroli looks particularly inviting and I will pick that one up when it is released.

Speaking of new releases, this seems like an appropriate place to post this new release:

Fripp & Eno - Live in Paris
[asin]B00M13HL6A[/asin]
Wise words from Que:

Never waste a good reason for a purchase....  ;)

7/4

Quote from: HIPster on October 29, 2014, 06:36:36 AM
Speaking of new releases, this seems like an appropriate place to post this new release:

Fripp & Eno - Live in Paris
[asin]B00M13HL6A[/asin]

I just picked up my copy this afternoon.

Rinaldo

Finally got to

[asin]B00KLSSKA8[/asin]
and I must say it's the first Eno album I've enjoyed from start to finish since.. I don't know when? (although I adore his 2008 collaboration with David Byrne, Everything That Happens Will Happen Today). Surprisingly fresh and adventurous.

chadfeldheimer

Quote from: torut on October 28, 2014, 08:38:47 PM
I used to collect Brian Eno's albums but lost interest when he departed from ambient music. However, because Lux is highly praised here and elsewhere, I purchased it only recently, and I also found it very good.
I have Neroli and The Shutov Assembly (one of my favorites), but the bonus tracks of the reissues are tempting.
Shutov Assembly also is a Eno-favorite of mine - underrated - I prefer it to say Apollo anytime.

torut

Brian Eno: Discreet Music - Contact (cantaloupe music)

http://cantaloupemusic.com/albums/brian-eno-discreet-music

"In Contact's version, acoustic and electric instruments (cello, violin, soprano saxophone, guitar, double bass, vibraphone, piano, flute and gongs) take the place of Eno's EMS synthesizer, channeling the underlying melodies of the piece until the ensemble itself becomes a kind of "looping apparatus," as Pergolesi describes it."

This is very good. Contact is Canada's contemporary music ensemble, led by percussionist Jerry Pergolesi.

Rinaldo

Brahmsian

Quote from: Octave on December 07, 2013, 10:15:20 PM
Is there anything to be preferred about the DVD edition [1999 live performance], aside maybe from the included documentary? 
[asin]B001H02J4C[/asin]

I watched this documentary last night on YouTube.  It was quite interesting, and I did enjoy some of the snippets played.  Eno's Music for Airports being one.  :)

torut

Brian Eno: Reflection
[asin]B01N8R971K[/asin]

Released on January 1, 2017. It is similar to the long ambient pieces such as Neroli and Thursday Afternoon. I like this much better than the previous release The Ship. Really good.

Scion7

Brian Eno circa 1973: "Classical music's a dead fish."

And this certainly doesn't fall under the umbrella - with all respect to Sniper, and with no intention to set him off into a wild _______ spree  :o ??? , I suggest moving this thread to The Diner.

When, a few months before his death, Rachmaninov lamented that he no longer had the "strength and fire" to compose, friends reminded him of the Symphonic Dances, so charged with fire and strength. "Yes," he admitted. "I don't know how that happened. That was probably my last flicker."

Christo

Quote from: Scion7 on February 13, 2017, 10:18:20 AM
Brian Eno circa 1973: "Classical music's a dead fish."

And this certainly doesn't fall under the umbrella - with all respect to Sniper, and with no intention to set him off into a wild _______ spree  :o ??? , I suggest moving this thread to The Diner.
No problem, though I actually filed them in my 'classical' collection, as others here will have done too.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Mirror Image

I'd say that Avalon Sutra is probably one of the best entry points for getting into Harold Budd's music:

What makes this particular collection of pieces so remarkable is the inclusion of a string quartet on many of them. The album's TT is short overall, though, but having a short duration is the best way to enjoy this music IMHO.

Rinaldo

Quote from: Mirror Image on September 02, 2017, 10:23:51 AM
I'd say that Avalon Sutra is probably one of the best entry points for getting into Harold Budd's music:

What makes this particular collection of pieces so remarkable is the inclusion of a string quartet on many of them. The album's TT is short overall, though, but having a short duration is the best way to enjoy this music IMHO.

Budd's solo work is usually too 'sweet' for me, but the lovely cover convinced me to check this album out and I'm pleasantly surprised. The strings compliment the reverberating piano beautifully.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Rinaldo on September 03, 2017, 01:12:36 PM
Budd's solo work is usually too 'sweet' for me, but the lovely cover convinced me to check this album out and I'm pleasantly surprised. The strings compliment the reverberating piano beautifully.

Yep, it's a beauty. My favorite Budd album.

Mandryka

Started to listen to this -- this seems the best thread to put it in

Wovon man nicht sprechen kann, darüber muss man schweigen

T. D.

Thanks for reviving the thread. Reminds me, for a couple of years I've meant to start in on Budd's music but never got round to it.
Got the idea after hearing him on an early '70s jazz album, Vista by Marion Brown. Budd played on one piece he wrote for Brown (Bismillahi 'Rrahmani' Rrahim), only recorded it himself years later.
Which suggests Pavilion of Dreams as a starting point...looking at the personnel (Brown, Michael Nyman, Richard Bernas, Gavin Bryars et al.; prod. Eno), definitely if I can find a download...surprising such a well-known recording has become so scarce.