Arthur Meulemans (1884-1966), a prolific Belgian impressionist

Started by kyjo, August 12, 2013, 03:09:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 01:04:28 PM
I listened to Pliny's Fountain again today. It is indeed a very captivating work. It clearly shows the influence of Debussy's orchestral works and has something of the magical, poetic atmosphere of Falla's Nights in the Garden of Spain. Meulemans was one of several Flemish composers whose work I came to admire on the Marco Polo label. Others included Godfried Devreese and Daniel Sternefeld.

I, too, have found much to enjoy in Devreese's and Sternefeld's music. I also treasure the Marco Polo discs of August de Boeck's and Paul Gilson's orchestral music. Have you heard them?

Perhaps my greatest discovery in Marco Polo's Belgian series was Lodewijk de Vocht's darkly romantic Cello Concerto, available on this disc:

It's a truly mesmerizing work from start to finish.

Not to be a bother, but have you gotten around to listening to Meulemans' Symphony no. 7 yet, Jeffrey? It's such a cool piece! 8)

vandermolen

Kyle, after an extensive search I'm delighted to say that I found my CD of Romantic Orchestral Music Vol II by Flemish composers and I have now listened to Meuleman's 7th Symphony. His musical language had certainly developed since Pliny's Fountain! I found it difficult to get my head round it on one hearing, but I immediately felt that I wanted to hear it again - which must be a good sign. It is troubled and spiky in places and I wondered if this related to the stormy period of its composition (1940). In this sense it reminded me a bit of Daniel Sternefeld's contemporaneous Symphony No 1 (do you know it?). I also wondered, as an admirer of Magnard's Chant Funebre whether you know the excellent 'In Memoriam' by Godfried Devreese, coupled with his fine Symphony No 1 'Gothic' - one of my favourite Marco Polo discoveries, along with Braga Santos. You have made me curious about the Flemish Composers Vol 1 CD with the Cello Concerto you like very much. On a totally separate note I also listened again today to Freitas Branco's 4th Symphony and Vathek, which I like more and more and am grateful to you for alerting me to their qualities.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 03:07:52 PM
Kyle, after an extensive search I'm delighted to say that I found my CD of Romantic Orchestral Music Vol II by Flemish composers and I have now listened to Meuleman's 7th Symphony. His musical language had certainly developed since Pliny's Fountain! I found it difficult to get my head round it on one hearing, but I immediately felt that I wanted to hear it again - which must be a good sign. It is troubled and spiky in places and I wondered if this related to the stormy period of its composition (1940). In this sense it reminded me a bit of Daniel Sternefeld's contemporaneous Symphony No 1 (do you know it?). I also wondered, as an admirer of Magnard's Chant Funebre whether you know the excellent 'In Memoriam' by Godfried Devreese, coupled with his fine Symphony No 1 'Gothic' - one of my favourite Marco Polo discoveries, along with Braga Santos. You have made me curious about the Flemish Composers Vol 1 CD with the Cello Concerto you like very much. On a totally separate note I also listened again today to Freitas Branco's 4th Symphony and Vathek, which I like more and more and am grateful to you for alerting me to their qualities.

Excellent, Jeffrey! Glad to hear you enjoyed Symphony no. 7! Yes, it's definitely a big advancement from the lush, straightforward impressionism of Symphonies 2 and 3 and Pliny's Fountain. There's something really unsettled and spooky about this work that keeps me returning to it. I can understand that you haven't quite "gotten" it at first hearing, but I can guarantee that you'll find much to savor on subsequent ones!

Oh yes, I'm familiar with the Devreese and Sternefeld discs. The Devreese works featured on the Marco Polo disc reminded me somewhat of Bax in places in their heroic/impressionistic mood. I would very much like to hear more from Devreese. The Sternefeld Symphony no. 1 is an interesting work which seems to draw more on Mahler and Zemlinsky than the impressionism which most other Flemish composers were drawing on at the time. I wasn't too impressed with the Rossinizatia coupling, though. I much prefer the Four Interludes from Mater Dolorosa, the coupling on this Etcetera recording of Symphony no. 1, which I prefer to the Marco Polo one:

I've been trying to get ahold of this two-disc Phaedra set for quite a while now:

Re Freitas Branco: Glad you are enjoying his music so much! Have you tried Artificial Paradises yet? It's a really imaginative impressionistic work. You'd love it!

Sorry for the rant! :-[ I'm up to an average of 12 posts a day; there's no stopping me now! :D

vandermolen

Thanks Kyle,

I listened to the Sternefeld Symphony No 1 today with much enjoyment, although my hand reached for the eject button as soon as the Rossini inspired work came on! Gosh, those Sternefeld discs look enticing. I just ordered the Volume 1 Flemish Romantic Composers for under £4.00 on UK Amazon. Yes, I enjoyed Artificial Paradises but need to get to know it better.

"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 03:59:26 PM
Thanks Kyle,

I listened to the Sternefeld Symphony No 1 today with much enjoyment, although my hand reached for the eject button as soon as the Rossini inspired work came on! Gosh, those Sternefeld discs look enticing. I just ordered the Volume 1 Flemish Romantic Composers for under £4.00 on UK Amazon.

I don't blame you for your reaction to Rossinizatia! :D Not to say I like Rossini's original music any better ;).......

Have you heard this disc, Jeffrey?

This disc always puts a smile on my face. :) Really enjoyable post-romantic music, this.

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 04:06:03 PM
I don't blame you for your reaction to Rossinizatia! :D Not to say I like Rossini's original music any better ;).......

Have you heard this disc, Jeffrey?

This disc always puts a smile on my face. :) Really enjoyable post-romantic music, this.

I think that I have that disc  ::) but not too sure what I thought of it. What do you think of In Memoriam by Devreese?

kyjo

Quote from: vandermolen on August 20, 2013, 04:08:33 PM
I think that I have that disc  ::) but not too sure what I thought of it. What do you think of In Memoriam by Devreese?

I think it is a touching little piece, but, if, memory serves, not particularly striking. I'll have to revisit it! BTW your inbox is full, Jeffrey. I've sent you a PM.

Have you heard the de Boeck and Gilson discs I mentioned a few posts up and, if so, what are your impressions of them? :)

vandermolen

Quote from: kyjo on August 20, 2013, 04:15:41 PM
I think it is a touching little piece, but, if, memory serves, not particularly striking. I'll have to revisit it! BTW your inbox is full, Jeffrey. I've sent you a PM.

Have you heard the de Boeck and Gilson discs I mentioned a few posts up and, if so, what are your impressions of them? :)

Hi Kyle,

I will make some space for PM. Yes, I do have the Boeck and Gilson works, possibly in more than one recording. I enjoyed them both but they didn't make a huge impression on me. I ordered the Sternefeld Symphony No 1 disc you prefer.

pjme

"May night" is an early symphonic poem, actually a symphonic interlude from a symphonic "legend"  for speaker, soli, female chorus and large orchestra, after "Beatrijs"

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Beatrijs (English: Beatrice), was a poem written in last quarter of 14th century (ca.1374),[1] possibly by Diederic van Assenede, and is an original Dutch poem about the legend of a nun who deserted her convent for the love of a man, who lives with her for seven years and she has two children. When their money is low he deserts her, and she becomes a prostitute to support her children for another seven years. One day she is near her old convent so inquires discretely what has become of the nun Beatrijs, and learns that people think Beatrijs is still at the convent. One night a voice urges her to return to the convent, and when she returns, Beatrijs learns that Mary (mother of Jesus) has been acting in her role at the convent, and she can return without anyone knowing of her absence.
The Dutch poem was created out of a legend recorded in Latin, Dialogus Miraculorum (1219-1223)[2] and Libri Octo Miraculorum (1225-1227)[2] written by Caesarius von Heisterbach. Although Hilka[3] claims that Caesarius von Heisterbach was not the true author of the latter text, as Duinhoven[2] points out, he was certainly the author of record during the Middle Ages. The subject matter is possibly of Dutch origin during his travels in the Netherlands. However the Dutch version was not a word-for-word translation. The tale was translated also into English, Esperanto, Frisian, French, German, Spanish, Old Norse and Arabic.[4]

http://www.youtube.com/v/IDfyBQSeav0

Another early work ( possibly the first symphonic work that gave Meulemans some renown) is the lovely "Stadspark" City park, a Praeludium and Scherzo. A slow and mysterious introduction ( Respighi comes to mind) is followed by a vigorous festive dance .

As with other composers who wrote all too easily, his oeuvre is uneven and stylistically "unstable" ( he started as a late-Romantic ( Mahler, Richard Strauss, Max Reger, Schoenberg...), witnessed Debyssy / Ravel, came under the spell of Stravinsky, Bartok , discovered the early success of Britten.

Most of his work is not published and exists in manuscript alone ( Antwerp Conservatory / Archives)

pjme

Here is poor old Arthur's 4th symphony in a fairly recent Spanish performance!
Although I'm a little bit familiar with some of Meulemans history, I wasn't able to find out why he wrote this "symphony for winds and percussion". Possibly, through his work as conductor in Brussels he knew the Band of the Royal Guides, or he just wanted to write a short work for the winds and percussion section of the NIR/BRT/BRTN/VRT... orchestra.
It is the odd one out in his output of 15 symphonies of which nr 10 "A symphony of psalms" is the proverbial blockbuster ( soloists, chorus, speaking chorus, large orchestra - lasting well over an hour).
Yvon Ducène and the Band of the Royal Guides/Gidsen recorded it on vinyl at least 30-40 years ago. I find it a mere trifle-symphonietta or divertimento-like work...very much unlike the more powerfull and inspired third.
Stiill, I'm glad to see it (a bit tentatively...) performed at all....in Spain!
https://www.youtube.com/v/2gf5Zt5Ho5M

vandermolen

Quote from: pjme on June 11, 2022, 07:23:26 AM
Although I'm a little bit familiar with some of Meulemans history, I wasn't able to find out why he wrote this "symphony for winds and percussion". Possibly, through his work as conductor in Brussels he knew the Band of the Royal Guides, or he just wanted to write a short work for the winds and percussion section of the NIR/BRT/BRTN/VRT... orchestra.
It is the odd one out in his output of 15 symphonies of which nr 10 "A symphony of psalms" is the proverbial blockbuster ( soloists, chorus, speaking chorus, large orchestra - lasting well over an hour).
Yvon Ducène and the Band of the Royal Guides/Gidsen recorded it on vinyl at least 30-40 years ago. I find it a mere trifle-symphonietta or divertimento-like work...very much unlike the more powerfull and inspired third.
Thanks for posting this. What I heard I rather enjoyed. Meulemans looks like a genial individual!

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: pjme on June 11, 2022, 07:23:26 AM

Sounds excellent!  I love Meulemans' music!

Roy Bland

Quote from: pjme on June 11, 2022, 07:23:26 AMHere is poor old Arthur's 4th symphony in a fairly recent Spanish performance!
[flash=425,350]https://www.youtube.com/v/2gf5Zt5Ho5M[/flash]

Four Symphony Here is highly valued
https://drum.lib.umd.edu/bitstream/handle/1903/27376/Scott_umd_0117E_21508.pdf?sequence=2