Old Musical Instruments & Modern Reproductions!

Started by SonicMan46, March 14, 2009, 02:29:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SonicMan46

For those interested in the Bach Cello Suites on the 'Shoulder Cello', there is also a recording by Dmitry Badiarov (website HERE) - in addition to performing these works, he also built his own instrument, and studied w/ Kuijken - :)

stingo

There is a video of Kujiken playing the shoulder-cello in Reply #79 on this thread.

When I went to research the Weiss/Lindberg recording on BIS' website, I saw this recording for nyckelharpa on the front page. The music seems to be a mix of the performer's (Emilia Amper) own compositions for the instrument as well as traditional music. Anyone familiar with the instrument or recording?

Nyckelharpa on wikipedia.

stingo

Just wanted to say I've been enjoying the following disc this week. I am considering ordering the Naxos/Bloch disc mentioned toward the beginning of this thread as it seems that the composers are duplicated between the two discs (the Naxos is a superset of the Vox composers), but I am not sure if the works are duplicated.

[asin]B000001KAZ[/asin]

SonicMan46

Quote from: stingo on January 29, 2013, 04:52:04 PM
Just wanted to say I've been enjoying the following disc this week. I am considering ordering the Naxos/Bloch disc mentioned toward the beginning of this thread as it seems that the composers are duplicated between the two discs (the Naxos is a superset of the Vox composers), but I am not sure if the works are duplicated.

Hi again Stingo - we've had a little discussion on Ben's invention, i.e. the glass harmonica - check some previous posts HERE - thanks for the additional suggestions - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Well, Susan's (a.k.a. Harpo here) chalumeau arrived a few days ago (pic below - bought the natural wood one) - purchased from California HERE, but we had to wait a number of months, i.e. Lazar was out of the one we wanted until a 'new' shipment arrived from eastern Europe (believe made in the Czech Republic).

Fingering chart is like a soprano recorder, which Susan can play; so she'll have to learn how to make that single reed vibrate!  I gave it a quick try and made some 'peeps & squeaks' that sound more like a 20th century string quartet!  ;D

The reeds are standard Eb clarinet ones - she has some printed out instructions & links to several videos - :)

Gurn Blanston

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 11, 2013, 12:07:05 PM
Well, Susan's (a.k.a. Harpo here) chalumeau arrived a few days ago (pic below - bought the natural wood one) - purchased from California HERE, but we had to wait a number of months, i.e. Lazar was out of the one we wanted until a 'new' shipment arrived from eastern Europe (believe made in the Czech Republic).

Fingering chart is like a soprano recorder, which Susan can play; so she'll have to learn how to make that single reed vibrate!  I gave it a quick try and made some 'peeps & squeaks' that sound more like a 20th century string quartet!  ;D

The reeds are standard Eb clarinet ones - she has some printed out instructions & links to several videos - :)

Holy crap, Dave, that's cool!  I have a couple of Vivaldi disks that use them, but they are in among a nest of other instruments and so it is challenging to pick them out. Hope Susan gets good quick; I want to hear something great by June.... :)

8)
Visit my Haydn blog: HaydnSeek

Haydn: that genius of vulgar music who induces an inordinate thirst for beer - Mily Balakirev (1860)

SonicMan46

Quote from: Gurn Blanston on March 11, 2013, 12:25:25 PM
Holy crap, Dave, that's cool!  I have a couple of Vivaldi disks that use them, but they are in among a nest of other instruments and so it is challenging to pick them out. Hope Susan gets good quick; I want to hear something great by June.... :)

Hi Gurn - actually, a beautifully made instrument - took a couple pics this afternoon (below) which show the wood in better light - pic of the reed which is well secured w/ the screw latch; again just standard Eb clarinet reeds that she can obtain at one of our local music stores - also, came w/ a nice carrying case - NOW, I'm going to still try to blow the thing but getting that reed to vibrate is tricky - we may have to fly to Boston to have Karl give her lessons (if he knows the fingering, bet he could easily play the instrument) - Dave :)

jochanaan

Quote from: SonicMan46 on March 11, 2013, 02:12:13 PM...NOW, I'm going to still try to blow the thing but getting that reed to vibrate is tricky - we may have to fly to Boston to have Karl give her lessons (if he knows the fingering, bet he could easily play the instrument)
A few years ago I added "clarinet" to the instruments I can play, after oboe, flute and recorder.  But it took a while, even though I had learned the basics of all instruments in college. :o My quick suggestions: It'll take more air pressure than the recorder--quite a bit more pressure.  But be careful not to squeeze too hard with your lower jaw, and to pull in the corners of your mouth.  And be sure all those holes are completely covered!  If there's even the slightest leak around your fingers, the thing won't play.  Oh, and breathe deep, way down into your belly, as if you were a yogi master.  Tonal power and endurance come from your belly muscles. 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

SonicMan46

Quote from: jochanaan on March 14, 2013, 06:59:54 PM
A few years ago I added "clarinet" to the instruments I can play, after oboe, flute and recorder.  But it took a while, even though I had learned the basics of all instruments in college. :o.................

Hi Jo..... - thanks for your comments - I'll past them on to Susan, but I agree (not as an expert or performer) that it is much easier to get notes out of her recorders - Dave :)

SonicMan46

Quote from: jochanaan on March 14, 2013, 06:59:54 PM
A few years ago I added "clarinet" to the instruments I can play, after oboe, flute and recorder.  But it took a while, even though I had learned the basics of all instruments in college. :o...........

Hi Jo..... - thanks for your comments - I'll past them on to Susan, but I agree (not as an expert or performer) that it is much easier to get notes out of her recorders - Dave :)

Szykneij

The heatwave here motivated my wife and I to spend the day at Boston's Museum of Fine Art for a long overdue visit. I got to chat a bit with Karl, visit the museum's excellent musical instrument collection, and take a ton of pictures.

My favorite:

The "Small Violin" (violino piccolo) by Antonio Stradiveri. It's debated if this instrument was designed to be played by a child or for playing in a range higher than a normal sized violin.

This "Square Piano" was built by Benjamin Crehore of Milton, Massachusetts around 1800 in the rectangular shape preferred for American homes of the time.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Don't pray when it rains if you don't pray when the sun shines. ~ Satchel Paige

Szykneij

These are Italian "chitarra battente" guitars with metal strings and ornate sound holes.

Larson Brothers Harp Guitar from around 1920.
Men profess to be lovers of music, but for the most part they give no evidence in their opinions and lives that they have heard it.  ~ Henry David Thoreau

Szykneij

Musical glasses by Francis Hopkinson Smith of Baltimore from around 1823.

1823 double bass from Deerfield, New Hampshire and French tenor trombone from around 1830 with the dragon's head design popular with French military bands.

Szykneij

Szykneij

Szykneij

Finally, thanks to a nifty reflection, I am one with the Buddha!

SonicMan46

Hi Tony - thanks for all of the great pictures of historic musical instruments from the MFA in Boston - probably nearly 10 years since my last visit there; not as long to the fine collection at the Met in NYC or the Library of Congress.  Now, I do have the MFA book of their collection on my iPad (less than 200 pages and obviously does not include many of the instruments you posted) - a free download (link provided by Karl) which I'm not sure is still available?  Dave :)

Geo Dude

Quote from: Szykneij on July 20, 2013, 02:33:26 PM

Larson Brothers Harp Guitar from around 1920.

I'm pretty sure that made an appearance in This Is Spinal Tap. :P

Great pictures!

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Szykneij

Thanks, Karl! Good to see you, too. We'll have to get together for food and drink before the summer ends.

Glad you enjoyed the pictures, Dave. I do wish the instruments were displayed in a bigger area. The exhibit is one of the first you come to upon entering the museum and the room gets very crowded.

Quote from: Geo Dude on July 21, 2013, 09:35:45 AM
I'm pretty sure that made an appearance in This Is Spinal Tap. :P

Great pictures!

LOL!

Unfortunately, the instruments in the exhibit are like Nigel's guitar -- kept safely under glass. I'd love to hear what they actually sound like.