Isang Yun

Started by snyprrr, March 15, 2009, 07:51:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

the most neglected composer on ebay.

i have about 5 cds, so...that's not much.

I haven't heard anything from the 60s-70s including the "famous" Cello Cto.

I found the symphonies...i'm going to say life affirming, don't ask me why i'm thinking Nielsen. But I just hear a very positive sound.

2 labels have series: Camerata and cpo.
and there does seem to be a bewildering array of various cds with this and that on them, that collecting this composer is a chore ($).

the str. qrt. No.5 is a great example of his, not mixing, but...synthesis?...of eastern and western...much different than Takemitsu.
a very trippy opening...Yun has a very distinctive soundworld that may take intsy to get used to...but really Yun is one of the most communicatively positive composers i'm thinking about. And not scary i haven't heard ANYTHING before the late 70s, so...

Try the symphonies 1-5...they ARE  a cycle and are very satisfying as such.

Since I've enjoyed everything I've heard from him (incl. attaca babel and ars musici cds) and he has a pretty large work list from the 80s and 90s, I wouldn't know what to reccomend. Naxos would be cheap. 2 clarinet qnts.

I believe I can recommend ANY "late" work, as he does appear to become a more "magical" sounding composer in his last decade.

Yun's name has always been on the medium sized list of the classic darmies, maybe as a token?, but he surely has a very distinctive voice,and i for one consider his work tobe as good as anyones of the era.

gomro

I only have this Yun disc:

It's excellent. I really need to get more of his work, if it's of the same high calibre.

springrite

Considering we have the same last name (though pronounced differently in Chinese and Korean), I took an early interest in Uncle Isang's music. The other reason at the time was that I was a supporter of the pro-democracy movement (in Korea as well as China). Isang Yun composed the music that was used as the song for the student uprising, for which Isang Yun was sentenced to death in absentia (he was living in Germany).

I have about 6 CDs of his music -- all the symphonies, and some chamber music. His chamber music is far more oriental in color, but his symphonies are more Germanic, but with oriental elements. I like his music very much and would like to get more, of course. Certainly I should get the NAXOS!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Lethevich

I am also a fan of his Chamber Symphony No.1 - very accessable modern music.
Peanut butter, flour and sugar do not make cookies. They make FIRE.

snyprrr

isn't the Cello Cto what he wrote in prison?

it's nice that there are at least a FEW fans out there, but i am dismayed that the usual suspects haven't chimed in. Is Yun really that neglected?

I think the symphonies (maybe not No.5 w/baritone) are a great place to start, Germanic in the best sense. No.3 in one mvmt. might be the most concentrated, though that one i haven't heard. i only have 2/4.

once again I'll just state that I've enjoyed everything I've heard so far. I do wish I had more insights...his late chamber works employed very interesting instrumentation ( a lot of harp)...

springrite

Quote from: snyprrr on March 16, 2009, 06:17:26 PM

...his late chamber works employed very interesting instrumentation ( a lot of harp)...

Indeed. That is one of the reasons why I said his chamber music has a more oriental approach. He is Korean but he is very much interested and influenced by the Chinese cultural. He read much of Chinese philosophy. Of course the Korean culture itself is very Confucian, and in some ways more Confucian than the Chinese culture of today. He is well read about Chinese history. Many of his chamber music piece has Chinese titles -- titles rooted in Chinese or refers to something very Chinese, such as Luo Yang and Chang'An (Chinese capital during the Han and Tang dynesty, circa 200BC to about 900AD). The harp is used partly because it imitates the zither instrument (Guqin or Zheng, primary instrument of the aristocrats of the age).

Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

I used to have an awesome Zheng cd. really nice.

greg

I'm listening to his disc of Symphonies 1 & 3 right now, and am really enjoying it.
My impression is that he's sort of a mix between Henze and Messiaen- though mostly Henze sounding. I like what he does- the textures he builds up sound amazing and very intense, not to mention very colorful. Really looking forward to listening to more.

snyprrr

Oh dear, I WAS correct: Yun IS the most neglected composer on the Net! :'(

Haha, and I don't really have anything new to add. I just got a Berlin cd with his Sonata for Oboe, Piano (originally Harp; version authorized by the composer), and Cello (1979;32mins./Aulos Trio: available only from European Amazon), which I am listening to now.

I can hear how the harp might add something (it does sound like harp composition), but I'm sure Yun considered this, and the piano substitute is very nice indeed. This is quite a languid and slightly Oriental sounding, though, the oboe itself might have something to do with that. Exotic, yes, and fruity!

Oy, I do tire of endless discovery sometimes! ;D

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on August 19, 2010, 07:41:49 AM
Oh dear, I WAS correct: Yun IS the most neglected composer on the Net! :'(

Haha, and I don't really have anything new to add. I just got a Berlin cd with his Sonata for Oboe, Piano (originally Harp; version authorized by the composer), and Cello (1979;32mins./Aulos Trio: available only from European Amazon), which I am listening to now.

I can hear how the harp might add something (it does sound like harp composition), but I'm sure Yun considered this, and the piano substitute is very nice indeed. This is quite a languid and slightly Oriental sounding, though, the oboe itself might have something to do with that. Exotic, yes, and fruity!

Oy, I do tire of endless discovery sometimes! ;D

Have never heard a note by this composer, including the "famous" cello concerto. Where should I start? Spotify probably.
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

snyprrr

Quote from: Guido on August 22, 2010, 12:08:18 AM
Have never heard a note by this composer, including the "famous" cello concerto. Where should I start? Spotify probably.

1) Well, start with that Cello Concerto, which, I believe is the piece that reflects his imprisonment. I believe I'll be getting a version soon.

2) Any of the non-singing Symphonies (1-4?). I think they are life affirming, and even remind me of Neilsen.

3) The Naxos disc.

4) I really like the SQ No.5, which i have on an OrlandoSQ disc, with Keuris and Schnittke.

5) Clarinet Quintets 1-2*

Any of his orchestral or chamber works are pretty reflective. His more mature period starts in the early-mid '80s, and his Late period ('90s) contains jewel after jewel.

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on August 22, 2010, 08:16:19 AM
1) Well, start with that Cello Concerto, which, I believe is the piece that reflects his imprisonment. I believe I'll be getting a version soon.

2) Any of the non-singing Symphonies (1-4?). I think they are life affirming, and even remind me of Neilsen.

3) The Naxos disc.

4) I really like the SQ No.5, which i have on an OrlandoSQ disc, with Keuris and Schnittke.

5) Clarinet Quintets 1-2*

Any of his orchestral or chamber works are pretty reflective. His more mature period starts in the early-mid '80s, and his Late period ('90s) contains jewel after jewel.

OK, you really like this guy then! I'll get the cello concerto obviously. I'll report back.
Geologist.

snyprrr

Quote from: Guido on August 22, 2010, 12:10:42 PM
OK, you really like this guy then! I'll get the cello concerto obviously. I'll report back.

Take a look at the Capriccio cd,...otherwise, obviously, the Camerata would be definitive.

snyprrr

Quote from: Guido on August 22, 2010, 12:10:42 PM

I've just heard the Cello Concerto (1976; Palm/Zender), and,...WOW!, a 30min. meditation on Korean imprisonment. There are all kinds of cavernous, clanking and rusty percussion, and you can practically feel the dank, rainy atmosphere, the solo cello soaring above in a song of tortured freedom. I think it's everything you could want, and wow, Palm just lays waste to the lead. Delicious! ;)

I also heard the Violin Concerto No.1 (1981), and it too continues into further realms of the imagination, very big and choc full o nuts. I believe both are on a Camerata cd, and both are full of wit, passion and mystery, very raw and vital.

I would put the CC up against any of it's peers. I think it's that good. Thanks, and you know who you are.

Guido

Quote from: snyprrr on August 23, 2010, 06:46:34 PM
I've just heard the Cello Concerto (1976; Palm/Zender), and,...WOW!, a 30min. meditation on Korean imprisonment. There are all kinds of cavernous, clanking and rusty percussion, and you can practically feel the dank, rainy atmosphere, the solo cello soaring above in a song of tortured freedom. I think it's everything you could want, and wow, Palm just lays waste to the lead. Delicious! ;)

I also heard the Violin Concerto No.1 (1981), and it too continues into further realms of the imagination, very big and choc full o nuts. I believe both are on a Camerata cd, and both are full of wit, passion and mystery, very raw and vital.

I would put the CC up against any of it's peers. I think it's that good. Thanks, and you know who you are.

I love Palm but that CD is so expensive. And this one has more pieces: http://www.amazon.co.uk/YUN-I-Concerto-Harmonia-Portraits/dp/B002H62USA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1282638085&sr=8-1

or do you still recommend the Palm?
Geologist.

snyprrr

Quote from: Guido on August 24, 2010, 12:22:16 AM
I love Palm but that CD is so expensive. And this one has more pieces: http://www.amazon.co.uk/YUN-I-Concerto-Harmonia-Portraits/dp/B002H62USA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1282638085&sr=8-1

or do you still recommend the Palm?

The one you show is the one I wooould have gotten, but a friend sent me the Palm. I can't vouche for the other cellist, but, I would say, just to hear the piece, get the Capriccio. Maybe the Palm will show up on Ebay one day. The piece itself is that good. But yea, you can never tell what cd is going to be $100 on Amazon. It's so random.

Yea, but Palm is a monster, no? Wow, I'll get anything by him!

just Jeff

20th Century Music - Ecrater Storefront:
http://20thcenturymusic.ecrater.com/

snyprrr

Quote from: just Jeff on November 13, 2010, 01:04:50 AM
a rare one actually...

Tell me about that one would you please? I was actually just thinking about Yun these last few days. His discography is a maddening mixed bag,...and extremely expensive. I've got 4-5 good solid cds, and was looking for some more, but the logistics of buying his stuff is just too much.