Zarlino & Sigismondo are major composers, here why?

Started by Carlo Gesualdo, November 20, 2019, 08:25:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carlo Gesualdo

I wonder how come such great name of Renaissance era are lesser knows from
other major composer of there era...

Zarlino is amazing, his modulation system startling complex and quite a dessert platter
for the ear, I happen to have ''Singer Pur'' & ''Glossa'' release. He is a truth genuine master of polyphony and fine musician all in all.

Very classy stuff & refine music, in league whit Leonardo's the inventor genie.

Than another discovery latel
Sigismondo D'India what a composer, pure brilliance, his madrigals some of them are chromatic he a step in renaissance and another in very early baroque, his mottetti (motets) paralell the genious of such  composer as Gombert, Willaert. Giaches de wert.

To be discover and enjoy tell me what do you think  kind folks? are you familiar whit them?

The peak of my interests now days is late 16 century also 17 century last breaths of renaissance toward Baroque music.

That about it

vers la flamme

Hello, deprofundis  ;D

Can't say I know either of the composers you mention, or much Gesualdo. Name one good work for me each by the three composers, please?  :)

Daverz

I think D'India's madrigals have a toehold in the repertoire, but I'd never heard of Zarlino, thanks.

San Antone

I have this recording by Zarlino by Singer Pur which I think is excellent, but don't know of many others:

But Sigismondo D'India is fairly well represented with many recordings, La Venexiana has recorded the first and third books of madrigals, and they are very good, as are all of their recordings of this music.

And some of D'India's madrigals are included in this collection:

Carlo Gesualdo

Quote from: San Antone on November 21, 2019, 05:06:25 PM
I have this recording by Zarlino by Singer Pur which I think is excellent, but don't know of many others:

But Sigismondo D'India is fairly well represented with many recordings, La Venexiana has recorded the first and third books of madrigals, and they are very good, as are all of their recordings of this music.

And some of D'India's madrigals are included in this collection:

Thanks for sharing , both are brilliant and so less appreciated than bigger name, in my eye underated in the eye's of people, more so ears, than Palestrina, Monteverdi, Gesualdo