Author Topic: Sir Arthur Bliss  (Read 72333 times)

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
Re: Sir Arthur Bliss
« Reply #300 on: August 29, 2021, 07:25:50 AM »
How do you like Rumon Gamba's recording of Things to Come?  I think this is the most complete modern recording at 32 minutes.

It’s great! This exciting and evocative score was a revelation to me.
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #301 on: August 29, 2021, 03:20:58 PM »
I greatly enjoyed it, although it's a while since I heard it. You're right about it being the most complete version of TTC. It includes 'Machines' but, as far as I recall, it is not played with the same urgency as in Bliss's own recording of the Suite from TTC, which remains my favourite version. As a whole, the Chandos CD is excellent. How about you?

You know me well enough to know there is no single version I love because the suites are so incomplete since the material was lost and has a very complex history (Muir Mathieson added the choral ending after Bliss was done as requested by HG Wells so should that be in the suite?  Depends who you ask and I find it a fantastic finish).  In short, I wish we had a full score reconstruction with modern recording.  I love Ruman Gamba's recording for it's scope, Herrmann's for it's operatic sweep, Mauceri/Hollywood for its grandeur, Bliss' for it's authenticity, but  Sir Charles Groves for its overall impact. 

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #302 on: August 29, 2021, 09:11:40 PM »
You know me well enough to know there is no single version I love because the suites are so incomplete since the material was lost and has a very complex history (Muir Mathieson added the choral ending after Bliss was done as requested by HG Wells so should that be in the suite?  Depends who you ask and I find it a fantastic finish).  In short, I wish we had a full score reconstruction with modern recording.  I love Ruman Gamba's recording for it's scope, Herrmann's for it's operatic sweep, Mauceri/Hollywood for its grandeur, Bliss' for it's authenticity, but  Sir Charles Groves for its overall impact.
I agree with you about a full score reconstruction. I liked your final sentence statement on the virtues of the individual version - I just wish that Groves had included 'Machines'!
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #303 on: August 30, 2021, 04:33:08 AM »
I agree with you about a full score reconstruction. I liked your final sentence statement on the virtues of the individual version - I just wish that Groves had included 'Machines'!

I wonder why it was omitted since it was part of the suite published in 1940.  You might find this article interesting on the history and construction of the score.  I had no idea HG Wells was such a big part of the creative choices.

https://billsnedden.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/things-to-come-pre-concert-talk/

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #304 on: August 31, 2021, 08:47:03 PM »
I wonder why it was omitted since it was part of the suite published in 1940.  You might find this article interesting on the history and construction of the score.  I had no idea HG Wells was such a big part of the creative choices.

https://billsnedden.wordpress.com/2018/07/23/things-to-come-pre-concert-talk/
Thanks very much Karim. I really look forward to reading it.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #305 on: September 17, 2021, 09:44:51 PM »
A work that I really enjoy is Bliss's :'Concerto for Two Pianos' - it is very short but highly memorable, inspiriting and enjoyable - haven't seen it mentioned much here. AFAIK there are two recordings - both excellent:

« Last Edit: September 17, 2021, 09:48:39 PM by vandermolen »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #306 on: October 19, 2021, 09:50:19 AM »
I've been greatly enjoying the new Dutton CD of Bliss's late ballet 'The Lady of Shalott' (1958). This recording brings it alive to a much greater extent than the old BBC Radio Classics recording. It may not have the memorability of 'Checkmate', 'Miracle in the Gorbals' and 'Adam Zero' but the more reflective nature suits the subject matter and I wanted to hear it again as soon as it was finished. I'm very pleased to have this new CD of Bliss's music. The first British production (1975) involved a remarkable collaboration between the dancers from New Park Girl's School and the Leicestershire Schools SO. Bliss, who was right at the end of his life attended some of the rehearsals and we see him playing the piano, talking to the cast and the remarkable young dancer in the title role.

'Girl in a Broken Mirror':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPNRmLO1Yw

PS Nice to see a different manifestation of the triumphant march from 'Christopher Columbus'.

One of my CDs of the year I think.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 11:00:29 AM by vandermolen »

Online Roasted Swan

• Veteran member
« Reply #307 on: October 20, 2021, 06:38:31 AM »
I've been greatly enjoying the new Dutton CD of Bliss's late ballet 'The Lady of Shalott' (1958). This recording brings it alive to a much greater extent than the old BBC Radio Classics recording. It may not have the memorability of 'Checkmate', 'Miracle in the Gorbals' and 'Adam Zero' but the more reflective nature suits the subject matter and I wanted to hear it again as soon as it was finished. I'm very pleased to have this new CD of Bliss's music. The first British production (1975) involved a remarkable collaboration between the dancers from New Park Girl's School and the Leicestershire Schools SO. Bliss, who was right at the end of his life attended some of the rehearsals and we see him playing the piano, talking to the cast and the remarkable young dancer in the title role.

'Girl in a Broken Mirror':

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDPNRmLO1Yw

PS Nice to see a different manifestation of the triumphant march from 'Christopher Columbus'.

One of my CDs of the year I think.

excellent news - haven't managed to hear my copy yet!