The Music Room > Composer Discussion

The Diamond Mine

(1/39) > >>

karlhenning:
[ Is there really no thread for David Diamond? ]

How do you like this, Corey?

vandermolen:
One of the greatest American composers - especially for his Symphony No 3 - he sent me a lovely reply to my fan latter. Symphonies 1-4, Psalm, Kaddish and romeo and Juliet are my favourites + a great String quartet (can't remember which one).

jowcol:
I'll chime in-- I don't have that much of his catalog, but I really like the disc with Symphonies 2 and 4 on Naxos-- the first movement of the second is wonderfully grim.  He's certainly one I'd like to get to know better.

karlhenning:
Here again is where we miss Chris (weirdears), who studied with Diamond . . . .

Kullervo:
Oh, how you put me on the spot! ;D

It's wonderful — very personal, unique music that is "romantic" without sounding like a throwback or like film music. The first symphony is an early work but is very assured in its orchestration and melodic writing. I can see why Schoenberg called him "the new Bruckner", because his slow movements are certainly of a rare beauty. The violin concerto is also lovely, with a very memorable theme providing the basis of the first movement and a rollicking final rondo. The gem of the disc, for me, is the tone poem The Enormous Room, which eventually builds up from quiet beginnings to a climax that is (really) breathtaking.

I'll be going through Naxos traversal of the symphonies (alas, woefully incomplete) over the next several days and will post my thoughts here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version