Author Topic: The Diamond Mine  (Read 25599 times)

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
Re: The Diamond Mine
« Reply #120 on: May 21, 2018, 08:34:23 PM »
Just been listening to the new Naxos disk and it's a 5 star recording. The feel of the ensble for Rounds and R & J is intimate, just perfect for the music.
So great to hear a modern recording of 6, the continuity of the early phase Diamond is still there even if the aural soothing isn't! (Seriously don't be put off, it's quite crunchy but miles away from avant garde).
Seriously good performances.

Ok I'll have another go with Symphony 6. I thought that Rounds was great and always loved Romeo and Juliet but did not respond very positively to Symphony 6 which to me sounded so different from symphonies 1 - 4 and not very memorable.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Online k a rl h e nn i ng

• Veteran member
  • Et quid amabo nisi quod ænigma est?
    • Henningmusick
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, D. Scarlattii, Stravinsky, JS Bach, Liszt, Martinů, Haydn, Henning
« Reply #121 on: May 22, 2018, 01:55:18 AM »
Just been listening to the new Naxos disk and it's a 5 star recording. The feel of the ensble for Rounds and R & J is intimate, just perfect for the music.
So great to hear a modern recording of 6, the continuity of the early phase Diamond is still there even if the aural soothing isn't! (Seriously don't be put off, it's quite crunchy but miles away from avant garde).
Seriously good performances.

You say avant-garde like it’s a bad thing  8)
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2018, 06:16:07 AM »
I've just realised what a fine work 'The Enormous Room' (1948) is. A kind of fifteen minute symphonic-Fantasia based on a work by e e Cummings.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #123 on: July 18, 2018, 12:01:54 PM »
The Enormous Room (1948) remains one of my favourite scores by Diamond. I find it powerful, brooding and moving.
A classic American Tone Poem which should be much better known.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 09:48:26 PM by vandermolen »

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2020, 12:28:48 PM »
I thought that I'd wake up this thread after a two year hibernation. I've been listening to the marvellous Symphony No.3, which I rank alongside those by Copland, Harris, Schuman and Hanson as great third symphonies. I found Diamond's obituary on the Guardian website. The encounter with Rodzinski made me laugh:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/jun/17/guardianobituaries.artsobituaries

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Brume au-dessus de l'eau...
« Reply #125 on: July 22, 2020, 04:10:49 PM »
I thought that I'd wake up this thread after a two year hibernation. I've been listening to the marvellous Symphony No.3, which I rank alongside those by Copland, Harris, Schuman and Hanson as great third symphonies. I found Diamond's obituary on the Guardian website. The encounter with Rodzinski made me laugh:
https://www.theguardian.com/news/2005/jun/17/guardianobituaries.artsobituaries

That’s an amusing anecdote about Diamond punching Rodziński on the nose. :P
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline T. D.

« Reply #126 on: July 22, 2020, 04:50:20 PM »
I read that article a couple of months ago when I was exploring the string quartets. Got the impression Diamond was rather a "difficult personality" and wondered whether that hindered his career (e. g. performances / exposure) in any way.

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #127 on: July 22, 2020, 08:25:34 PM »
I read that article a couple of months ago when I was exploring the string quartets. Got the impression Diamond was rather a "difficult personality" and wondered whether that hindered his career (e. g. performances / exposure) in any way.
Yes, you may be right as his music (especially symphonies 1-4 IMO) deserves to be much better known. I rank Diamond very highly amongst American composers and actually amongst composers generally. That Third Symphony is, to me, very special. I need to explore his string quartets more.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Claude Debussy (1862 - 1918)
    ...Brume au-dessus de l'eau...
« Reply #128 on: July 23, 2020, 05:39:31 AM »
Yes, you may be right as his music (especially symphonies 1-4 IMO) deserves to be much better known. I rank Diamond very highly amongst American composers and actually amongst composers generally. That Third Symphony is, to me, very special. I need to explore his string quartets more.

To the bolded text, a ginormous YES!!! A great SQ cycle.
“Works of art create rules; rules do not create works of art.” - Claude Debussy

Offline Pohjolas Daughter

• Veteran member
« Reply #129 on: July 23, 2020, 11:37:22 AM »
The first time I heard David Diamond's music was also on ABC Classic FM, but it wasn't String Quartet No. 3. It was this:

David Diamond - Rounds for String Orchestra (1944)
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3QAyE0HAB7s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3QAyE0HAB7s</a>

I absolutely loved it, and from that moment I was a fan of his work. I bought as many CDs featuring his music as I could find. I ended up with the five discs of orchestral works on Delos (reissued on Naxos), and a few orchestral and chamber discs.

1. No idea.

2. Er, dunno.

I'd been thinking that I had this CD, but then wondered whether or not I was hallucinating that as I couldn't find it.  Bingo!  It was slightly mis-shelved (and in an area which is hard for me to see to begin with).  I suspect that I found it used.  Mine is an ArkivMusic reissue and though I've ordered other things from them in the past, I don't remember ordering this one.  Will put it on a bit later.   :) I know that I could listen to it here, but I'd rather listen to it through my stereo system.

PD

EDIT:  By the way, I tried someone's link to Alan Belkin's website and was redirected to his new one.  I couldn't find anything there re David Diamond's symphonies or music in general, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the correct area?
« Last Edit: July 23, 2020, 12:24:18 PM by Pohjolas Daughter »

Offline Peter Power Pop

• Veteran member
    • Peter's Power Pop
« Reply #130 on: July 28, 2020, 03:22:02 PM »
I'd been thinking that I had this CD, but then wondered whether or not I was hallucinating that as I couldn't find it. Bingo! It was slightly mis-shelved (and in an area which is hard for me to see to begin with). I suspect that I found it used. Mine is an ArkivMusic reissue and though I've ordered other things from them in the past, I don't remember ordering this one. Will put it on a bit later. :) I know that I could listen to it here, but I'd rather listen to it through my stereo system.

PD

EDIT: By the way, I tried someone's link to Alan Belkin's website and was redirected to his new one. I couldn't find anything there re David Diamond's symphonies or music in general, but perhaps I wasn't looking in the correct area?

I searched for "Alan Belkin David Diamond" and this PDF was the result:

http://alanbelkinmusic.com/Diamond/Diamond.pdf

It's titled "The Symphonies Of David Diamond: A Listener's Guide".
« Last Edit: July 28, 2020, 03:26:00 PM by Peter Power Pop »

Offline André

• Veteran member
« Reply #131 on: July 28, 2020, 03:46:40 PM »

That’s great, Peter ! A good occasion to air these recordings after a few years, but this time I’ll follow the guide !

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #132 on: July 28, 2020, 05:59:24 PM »
That’s great, Peter ! A good occasion to air these recordings after a few years, but this time I’ll follow the guide !
+1 have been listening, with much pleasure, to symphonies 1 and 3 as well as to the eloquent and poignant score for 'Romeo and Juliet'.

• Veteran member
« Reply #133 on: July 29, 2020, 07:27:22 AM »

Thanks Peter; I did end up finding it later by googling it, but I appreciate the heads up!  :)

PD

• Veteran member
« Reply #134 on: August 01, 2020, 09:32:06 AM »
Just listened to his "Rounds for String Orchestra" which I enjoyed and put me in a good mood.  In the liner notes on the CD, they include the composer's own notes about the work:

"Rounds for String Orchestra was commissioned by Dmitri Mitropoulos and composed in June and July, 1944, in New York City; the instrumentation was completed at Rhinebeck, New York.  Almost all of the new music Mitropoulos had been performing at this time was of the twelve-note school and he was undergoing depressions and doubts as to the quality of general melancholia in this music.  I had pointed out to Mitropoulos that many of these contemporary composers had suffered much in their transition from middle-Europe to the United States.  'But you have suffered much too, in your way.  Write me a happy work.  These are distressing times, most of the difficult music I play is distressing.  Make me happy.'

And I suspect that he did.   :)

The above quotes are from the Nonesuch CD NON 79002

PD

Offline vandermolen

• Veteran member
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2020, 01:04:34 PM »
Just listened to his "Rounds for String Orchestra" which I enjoyed and put me in a good mood.  In the liner notes on the CD, they include the composer's own notes about the work:

"Rounds for String Orchestra was commissioned by Dmitri Mitropoulos and composed in June and July, 1944, in New York City; the instrumentation was completed at Rhinebeck, New York.  Almost all of the new music Mitropoulos had been performing at this time was of the twelve-note school and he was undergoing depressions and doubts as to the quality of general melancholia in this music.  I had pointed out to Mitropoulos that many of these contemporary composers had suffered much in their transition from middle-Europe to the United States.  'But you have suffered much too, in your way.  Write me a happy work.  These are distressing times, most of the difficult music I play is distressing.  Make me happy.'

And I suspect that he did.   :)

The above quotes are from the Nonesuch CD NON 79002

PD
Interesting anecdote PD.