The Diamond Mine

Started by karlhenning, March 17, 2009, 04:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on August 28, 2021, 02:04:51 PM
Haha - I like to think so!
:)

At one point my brother sent a letter to his hero, Fernando Previtali, and got a cordial reply by mail. It was a different time. The barrier to communication was rather high so anyone who took the trouble seemed to merit a reply.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

Spotted Horses

In any case, based on the discussion and my enjoyment if his Rounds for String Orchestra, I'm intrigued enough to have ordered a used copy of Schwarz' recording of the 3rd symphony (used, from a charity shop's amazon marketplace store). Hoping I'll find time to actually listen to it.
There are simply two kinds of music, good music and the other kind. - Duke Ellington

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 28, 2021, 02:27:13 PM
In any case, based on the discussion and my enjoyment if his Rounds for String Orchestra, I'm intrigued enough to have ordered a used copy of Schwarz' recording of the 3rd symphony (used, from a charity shop's amazon marketplace store). Hoping I'll find time to actually listen to it.
I hope you enjoy it. Was it the Delos or Naxos manifestation? The Delos includes the lovely (IMO) suite from Romeo and Juliet.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 28, 2021, 02:25:25 PM
At one point my brother sent a letter to his hero, Fernando Previtali, and got a cordial reply by mail. It was a different time. The barrier to communication was rather high so anyone who took the trouble seemed to merit a reply.
OT
That's an interesting and valid point. I forgot to mention that I received two very nice cards, towards the end of his long life, from Richard (Tony) Arnell. I was so glad that he lived to see works like his wonderful and epic Third Symphony finally recorded after decades and decades of neglect. Arnell, at a very advanced age, was by then in the Musician's Benevolent Care Home and I initially contacted the care home to see if they felt that Mr Arnell would welcome such a communication and when they responded positively I wrote to tell him how much I loved his Third Symphony (then the only one recorded I think). He sent me two charming cards back, heaping praise on the conductor Martin Yates, and telling me how pleased he was that I thought so highly of his symphony.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Spotted Horses

Quote from: vandermolen on August 28, 2021, 10:26:20 PM
I hope you enjoy it. Was it the Delos or Naxos manifestation? The Delos includes the lovely (IMO) suite from Romeo and Juliet.

The Delos. I will probably pick up a used copy of the Delos release including the second and forth symphonies. As you mentioned, Naxos managed to make the couplings less attractive when the rereleased the material.

vandermolen

Quote from: Spotted Horses on August 29, 2021, 01:11:11 AM
The Delos. I will probably pick up a used copy of the Delos release including the second and forth symphonies. As you mentioned, Naxos managed to make the couplings less attractive when the rereleased the material.
Excellent Arthur - that's the version to get. I think that Naxos were not allowed to reissue the entire Delos recording. The CD with symphonies 2 and 4 on is excellent. More recently I have come to greatly appreciate the 1st Symphony, which I shall be playing again in a minute.

I agree with this review:
https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-9253/

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 28, 2021, 02:09:20 PM
Thanks John - I hope that you get a response. Over the years I have occasionally written to composers whose music has meant a lot to me. I had particularly nice replies from Vagn Holmboe, William Alwyn and, most of all, the Irish composer John Kinsella. More recently I had some nice email exchanges with the British composer Robin Walker and the Norwegian composer Stale Kleiberg (composer of the fine 'Bell Reef' Symphony).

Very cool, Jeffrey. I'd actually would have loved to have met Alwyn just so I can tell him that I love Lyra Angelica. :) But I think he's seriously an underrated British composer and is often overshadowed by Walton and Britten for example.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2021, 07:44:20 AM
Very cool, Jeffrey. I'd actually would have loved to have met Alwyn just so I can tell him that I love Lyra Angelica. :) But I think he's seriously an underrated British composer and is often overshadowed by Walton and Britten for example.
Yes, you're right John. I was moved to write to him after I heard him conduct his Symphony No.5 on the radio c. 1980. He sent a very nice reply.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 11:03:45 AM
Yes, you're right John. I was moved to write to him after I heard him conduct his Symphony No.5 on the radio c. 1980. He sent a very nice reply.

Great to read, Jeffrey. Here's a bit of an off-topic question: if you could sit down for 30 minutes with any British composer who would it be and why?

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 29, 2021, 12:11:44 PM
Great to read, Jeffrey. Here's a bit of an off-topic question: if you could sit down for 30 minutes with any British composer who would it be and why?
Would have to be VW I think John because I've loved his music since I was 17 and it has had more impact on me than that of any other composer.
Also, Richard Arnell seemed to be a very interesting character - maybe we could discuss his eight marriages!

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 10:18:46 PM
Also, Richard Arnell seemed to be a very interesting character - maybe we could discuss his eight marriages!
He probably couldn't remember all of them, or want to!
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Irons

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 30, 2021, 12:11:22 AM
He probably couldn't remember all of them, or want to!

He kept coming back for more so something appealed or maybe just fussy. Didn't Arnell live in America for a spell?
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vandermolen on August 29, 2021, 10:18:46 PM
Would have to be VW I think John because I've loved his music since I was 17 and it has had more impact on me than that of any other composer.

Vaughan Williams would certainly be interesting to talk to for sure. My own choice would be Walton. He just seemed to be a cordial, well-spoken man and I'd love to pick his mind about works like his Symphony No. 1 and Belshazzar's Feast for example.

vandermolen

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 30, 2021, 08:19:39 AM
Vaughan Williams would certainly be interesting to talk to for sure. My own choice would be Walton. He just seemed to be a cordial, well-spoken man and I'd love to pick his mind about works like his Symphony No. 1 and Belshazzar's Feast for example.
An interesting choice John - I'd like to have spoken to Walton as well.

krummholz

In my case, I would definitely choose Robert Simpson. We'd probably end up talking about astronomy instead of music!

Mirror Image

Quote from: krummholz on August 31, 2021, 05:17:00 PM
In my case, I would definitely choose Robert Simpson. We'd probably end up talking about astronomy instead of music!

Just don't mention Sibelius to him. Apparently, he doesn't think much of him and prefers to ramble on and on about Nielsen. I love both composers, but I think he has some kind of axe to grind against Sibelius that I find odd.

calyptorhynchus

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 31, 2021, 07:38:50 PM
Just don't mention Sibelius to him. Apparently, he doesn't think much of him and prefers to ramble on and on about Nielsen. I love both composers, but I think he has some kind of axe to grind against Sibelius that I find odd.

That's not my understanding, Simpson had series on BBC Radio 3 talking about both Nielsen and Sibelius and his book on Nielsen as a whole appendix where he compares the two composers, to neither's disadvantage.
'Many men are melancholy by hearing music, but it is a pleasing melancholy that it causeth.' Robert Burton

Mirror Image

Quote from: calyptorhynchus on August 31, 2021, 09:38:09 PM
That's not my understanding, Simpson had series on BBC Radio 3 talking about both Nielsen and Sibelius and his book on Nielsen as a whole appendix where he compares the two composers, to neither's disadvantage.

Ah, good to read. Another case of simply misremembering what someone actually said.

Irons

My choice would be Constant Lambert as he would have the most interesting things to say on other composers (Music Ho). Also he would buy me a beer or two. :P
You must have a very good opinion of yourself to write a symphony - John Ireland.

I opened the door people rushed through and I was left holding the knob - Bo Diddley.

Irons

Quote from: vandermolen on August 28, 2021, 10:34:23 PM
OT
That's an interesting and valid point. I forgot to mention that I received two very nice cards, towards the end of his long life, from Richard (Tony) Arnell. I was so glad that he lived to see works like his wonderful and epic Third Symphony finally recorded after decades and decades of neglect. Arnell, at a very advanced age, was by then in the Musician's Benevolent Care Home and I initially contacted the care home to see if they felt that Mr Arnell would welcome such a communication and when they responded positively I wrote to tell him how much I loved his Third Symphony (then the only one recorded I think). He sent me two charming cards back, heaping praise on the conductor Martin Yates, and telling me how pleased he was that I thought so highly of his symphony.

Missed this, Jeffrey. How interesting.