The Diamond Mine

Started by karlhenning, March 17, 2009, 04:28:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

karlhenning

[ Is there really no thread for David Diamond? ]

How do you like this, Corey?

vandermolen

One of the greatest American composers - especially for his Symphony No 3 - he sent me a lovely reply to my fan latter. Symphonies 1-4, Psalm, Kaddish and romeo and Juliet are my favourites + a great String quartet (can't remember which one).
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jowcol

I'll chime in-- I don't have that much of his catalog, but I really like the disc with Symphonies 2 and 4 on Naxos-- the first movement of the second is wonderfully grim.  He's certainly one I'd like to get to know better.
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

karlhenning

Here again is where we miss Chris (weirdears), who studied with Diamond . . . .

Kullervo

Oh, how you put me on the spot! ;D

It's wonderful — very personal, unique music that is "romantic" without sounding like a throwback or like film music. The first symphony is an early work but is very assured in its orchestration and melodic writing. I can see why Schoenberg called him "the new Bruckner", because his slow movements are certainly of a rare beauty. The violin concerto is also lovely, with a very memorable theme providing the basis of the first movement and a rollicking final rondo. The gem of the disc, for me, is the tone poem The Enormous Room, which eventually builds up from quiet beginnings to a climax that is (really) breathtaking.

I'll be going through Naxos traversal of the symphonies (alas, woefully incomplete) over the next several days and will post my thoughts here.

karlhenning

Quote from: Corey on March 17, 2009, 05:04:03 AM
Oh, how you put me on the spot! ;D

Well, you've certainly responded with grace  0:)

ChamberNut

Ah yes, Diamond Dave, what energy he brought to Van Halen!   :D >:D ;)

Kullervo

Might as well jump (out the window)

Dr. Dread

ChamberNut

Dundonnell

I was about to say something about David Diamond but my sense of horrified outrage at the hideous sight of this virtually naked long-haired 'rock personage' had driven me away :o >:(

karlhenning

No, wasn't sporting . . . .

Dr. Dread

karlhenning

I appreciate that you were funnin', Dave.

But cor, that was a revolting image  8)

Colin, come back!

springrite

I have heard so many people telling me to get his string quartets. But I still haven't heard them. I only have one chamber music CD which was OK, but the symphony #2 is the one that I really really like.
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 17, 2009, 07:46:31 AM
I appreciate that you were funnin', Dave.

But cor, that was a revolting image  8)

Colin, come back!

Yes, I forget there are women on the board.

Dundonnell

Dr. Dread

springrite

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 17, 2009, 08:27:38 AM
No, sir. No, I'm not.

;D

Come on, don't be so modest, you diamond-in-the-rough!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Dr. Dread