70%
80%
90%
100%
Surely, you jest!!!

Coopmv

Quote from: MN Dave on June 12, 2009, 06:03:38 PM
Thanks for the tip, Coop.

BTW,  over the years, I have found some relatively obscure baroque works quite enjoyable.  Tactus, an Italian label I came across a few years ago, has released a good number of excellent recordings of works by minor Italian baroque composers ... 

Dancing Divertimentian

Quote from: MN Dave on June 12, 2009, 05:59:56 PM
Finally got it, Don.  ;D

Nice, Dave. :)

Just saw your post on the Purchases Today thread and gave my input there but I'm still rooting for everything to go okay.

Hope to hear what ya think.
Veit Bach-a baker who found his greatest pleasure in a little cittern which he took with him even into the mill and played while the grinding was going on. In this way he had a chance to have the rhythm drilled into him. And this was the beginning of a musical inclination in his descendants. JS Bach

Bulldog

Quote from: Rod Corkin on June 12, 2009, 12:41:41 AM
Ironically TMO is a good example if the Bachinan 'cult' I was referring to above. That such dull music has been passed off as a supreme masterpiece by the musical academia is testament to it. Even the Bach fans I know find it tiresome.

You now know a Bach fan who doesn't find it tiresome.

knight66

Quote from: Rod Corkin on June 12, 2009, 12:41:41 AM
Well I'm doing a topic on 'The Music Offering' at my site at the moment with lots of audio/video samples so feel free to cleanse yourself.

Ironically TMO is a good example if the Bachinan 'cult' I was referring to above. That such dull music has been passed off as a supreme masterpiece by the musical academia is testament to it. Even the Bach fans I know find it tiresome.

I am putting a stop to this continual self advertisement for your site. I have just read extensively through two threads, you hardly bother to engage, really just set up more opportunities for your site. We know it is there. Can-it for at least a month. Any further mentions, even oblique ones, about your site in the next month...the entire post will be deleted.

Either discuss matters normally without the 'agenda' or leave the stage.

Knight
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Rod Corkin

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2009, 12:15:07 AM
I am putting a stop to this continual self advertisement for your site. I have just read extensively through two threads, you hardly bother to engage, really just set up more opportunities for your site. We know it is there. Can-it for at least a month. Any further mentions, even oblique ones, about your site in the next month...the entire post will be deleted.

Either discuss matters normally without the 'agenda' or leave the stage.

Knight

I want to know how the hell my posts from the 'Handel opera and oratorio' thread ended up in this topic? Looks like one of the moderators has an agenda too.

Here is my advert-free topic on the Bach vs Handel issue...
http://www.good-music-guide.com/community/index.php/topic,1790.html 
"If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/classicalmusicmayhem/

knight66

I have no idea what you are talking about. I have no knowledge of any movement of your posts between topics. But a new conspiracy theory from you is hardly something at which I am taken aback.

The idea that you connect to a thread here that is advert free is nonsense. Your posts are littered with references to your site. I have binned a new post of yours from that other topic, it had an oblique reference to your site. As I say, no more such will be left unbinned for the next month.

I am aware this post provides further oxygen, so there will be no further discussion between us about this issue on the public part of the site.

Basically, like it or lump it.

Knight

The new erato

Quote from: erato on June 12, 2009, 03:58:18 AM
Thank you for a sense of humor. As I said, I simply love Handel and think he was overlooked for many years; but mainly i think because his works were concentrated in fewer forms (his instrumental works are very few compared to Bach's for example) and because the baroque dramatic forms are very alien to modern thinking and needed a lot of exposure to mature and sink in. I think watching lots of soap operas on TV has prepared us all for baroque opera.
This post by me certainly was posted in another thread so something have been moved for sure. Not that I particularly mind.

knight66

Thanks, I will ask around, do you know where it was moved from?

Mike

The new erato

Yes, from "getting a handle on Handels operas and oratories" or whatever it's called...

knight66

Odd, can't off hand think why posts would be swapped between those two topics. I have asked the other Mods if they can solve this. But due to the time differences, it may be a while before I can give you a proper reply.

For some time now I have been off the air most of each working week, as my job keeps me on the move; so I may have missed some reason for the movements.

Regards,

Knight

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Dancing Divertimentian on June 12, 2009, 09:22:19 PM
Nice, Dave. :)

Just saw your post on the Purchases Today thread and gave my input there but I'm still rooting for everything to go okay.

Hope to hear what ya think.

And I replied. Have another selection for me?

Coopmv

Quote from: MN Dave on June 13, 2009, 04:39:45 AM
And I replied. Have another selection for me?

I will be playing quite a number of new Handel's recordings this weekend and will post them on the listening thread.  Actually I just posted one ...

Elgarian

Quote from: knight on June 13, 2009, 04:31:05 AM
Odd, can't off hand think why posts would be swapped between those two topics.

The swap was a good one in my view, Mike. I think the posts that were moved do fit the context of this thread better.

Que

Quote from: Rod Corkin on June 13, 2009, 01:43:37 AM
I want to know how the hell my posts from the 'Handel opera and oratorio' thread ended up in this topic? Looks like one of the moderators has an agenda too.

The Bach-Handel comparison you started on the thread on Handel's oratorios and opera's was obviously off-topic and therefore moved (by me) to a more appropriate thread - it's really quite simple.

Q

Elgarian

Bach v Handel: Let's be scientific about this.

1. A lot of Bach makes my fillings feel as if they're coming loose. Handel never does that. So, after consulting with my dentist (and he should know):
Bach -23.4 points. Handel +95.7 points.

2. I own a lot of Handel recordings and hardly any Bach recordings.
Bach 3.7 points. Handel 723.6 points.

3. Handel's name sounds nicer than Bach's.
Bach 1.2 points. Handel 9.8 points.

4. Jimmy likes Handel more than Bach, and I quite like Jimmy.
Bach 3.8 points. Handel 4.3 points.

5. Susie likes Handel more than Bach but I don't like Susie much.
Bach 4.3 points. Handel 3.8 points.

Looks like it could be too close to call, but let's add 'em up and see how they've done:

Grand totals: Bach -10.4. Handel 837.2.

So it's a close run thing, but Handel wins on points. On the other hand, the wind is from the south just now, and the turnout wasn't as good as five years ago. And it's hard to estimate the effect of the protest votes.

[Please note: the names of Susie and Jimmy have been changed to protect the innocent.]

Coopmv

Quote from: Elgarian on June 13, 2009, 07:07:57 AM
So it's a close run thing, but Handel wins on points. On the other hand, the wind is from the south just now, and the turnout wasn't as good as five years ago. And it's hard to estimate the effect of the protest votes.

I used to like Handel more than any other composers.  Then over the years, I have begrudgingly accepted the fact that Bach is the all-time great and now his works represent the largest portion of my collection of some 7000 CD's/LP's and open-reel tapes.

The new erato

Quote from: Coopmv on June 13, 2009, 07:24:02 AM
I used to like Handel more than any other composers.  Then over the years, I have begrudgingly accepted the fact that Bach is the all-time great
I simply find comparison not very meaningful as they are so different composer with such obvious different strengths. I'm a little like Creams Politician; I support the left though I'm leaning to the right.

Coopmv

Quote from: erato on June 13, 2009, 07:58:37 AM
I simply find comparison not very meaningful as they are so different composer with such obvious different strengths. I'm a little like Creams Politician; I support the left though I'm leaning to the right.

Is there such thing as a right-leaning politician in Norway?  The most conservative politician in a Nordic country is probably the right-of-center type.   ;D

jochanaan

This is foolishness.  There's no one like Bach--but Handel wasn't TRYING to be like Bach.  In many ways, GFH was the more progressive composer--not necessarily better, but more forward-looking.

And actually, The Messiah is one thing I never get tired of--as long as the performance is good and somewhat close to Handel's original score... 8)
Imagination + discipline = creativity

op.110

is this even a legitimate question? We could've done without Handel - the same most certainly can't be said about Bach. I'm no musicologist, but I'm willing to bet all the money in my pockets that Bach was exponentially more influential in expanding and establishing the foundations of classical music. Handel is boring. Bach kicks booty.