The Bach Cantatas

Started by Que, April 08, 2007, 01:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyAthletic

I have recenty bought this Double Decca with Joshua Rifkin.  Hardly heard any of the Cantatas so not really knowing what to expect.  It sits eagerly on the shelf.  2cds I imagine is just the dew on the tip of the iceberg, but its a start, and at £1.36p the Double...couldn't find any reason to say no.

"Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying"      (Arthur C. Clarke)

Que

Quote from: Bogey on November 25, 2007, 11:24:47 AM
And, are the Gardiner recordings the closest thing to the Harnoncourt/Leonhardt recordings?

I would say not.
It's hard to compare the diffent conductors, but I guess that Sigiswald Kuijken (on Accent) - who played with Leonhardt, Koopman (on Antoine Marchand) - who also worked with him and is a former student of Leonhardt, and Suzuki (on Bis) - who is a former student of Koopman, all come closer. Each in his own way.

Q

knight66

This might prove to be an odd recording to start you out on the adventure of the Cantatas. Rifkin is as much academic as performer. He has been pushing the idea that many of Bach's church choral works were sung one to a part. He has issued a B Minor mass where the choral parts were sung by the soloists, I love it. Following from that concept, much later, McCreesh issued a similarily scaled St Matthew Passion and it works wonderfully, but is not mainstream.

Now, I am unclear whether the recordings you have now bought are one to a part in the choral movements, but for sure, it will be a far from dull interpretation and that music is most beautiful, especially the initial movement of the Actus Tragicus.

Let us know how you get along with the discs.

Mike
DavidW: Yeah Mike doesn't get angry, he gets even.
I wasted time: and time wasted me.

Bogey

Quote from: knight on November 25, 2007, 11:41:42 AM
I think that the intent is to issue them all, but they are not being issued in what I can detect as being an entirely logical order.

Here is a link to the site.
http://www.monteverdiproductions.co.uk/about_us/sdg.cfm

This particular page has a drop down box and clarifies what is available.

http://www.monteverdiproductions.co.uk/shop/

The BBC Mag has some Gardiner CD recordings of Bach Christmas music on its Dec issue. I have not had a chance to listen to it yet.

Mike

Very helpful Mike.  Thank you.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Bogey

Quote from: Que on November 25, 2007, 11:57:42 AM
I would say not.
It's hard to compare the diffent conductors, but I guess that Sigiswald Kuijken (on Accent) - who played with Leonhardt, Koopman (on Antoine Marchand) - who also worked with him and is a former student of Leonhardt, and Suzuki (on Bis) - who is a former student of Koopman, all come closer. Each in his own way.

Q

I will go back and sample those again Que with the links you already posted.
There will never be another era like the Golden Age of Hollywood.  We didn't know how to blow up buildings then so we had no choice but to tell great stories with great characters.-Ben Mankiewicz

Que

Quote from: Bogey on November 25, 2007, 12:11:33 PM
I will go back and sample those again Que with the links you already posted.

You could always buy the real thing... :)

Just reissued - £130 at Europadisc.

Complete sacred cantatas Harnoncourt/ Leonhardt

Q

Bogey

Quote from: Que on November 25, 2007, 01:19:24 PM
You could always buy the real thing... :)

Just reissued - £130 at Europadisc.

Complete sacred cantatas Harnoncourt/ Leonhardt

Q

Did not know about this reissue.  Is it only available in Europe?

Bogey

Still being new to the cantata arena, and the more I think about it,  I believe I may want to sample a bit more with different conductors/ensembles before pulling the trigger on a complete set.  Then when I have a variety of recordings upon the shelf I will be able to make a more informed decision.  And it may be that I would enjoy the variety for variety sake.  However, for that much music the price is very tempting.

Que

Quote from: Bogey on November 25, 2007, 04:09:23 PM
Still being new to the cantata arena, and the more I think about it,  I believe I may want to sample a bit more with different conductors/ensembles before pulling the trigger on a complete set.  Then when I have a variety of recordings upon the shelf I will be able to make a more informed decision.  And it may be that I would enjoy the variety for variety sake.  However, for that much music the price is very tempting.

Bill, I think it's a smart move to try different styles and conductors - there are so many good interpretations around these days.  :) New cantata cycles keep popping up - incredible. And also outside the cycles there are many beauties to be found (Pierlot, Junghänel, Coin, Herreweghe)
And in the meantime the price of that Harnoncourt/Leonhardt set can only go down! ;D

Q

Harry

Not to forget the deeply religious approach of Suzuki, and the constant quality he brings with his team....

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2007, 10:29:41 PM
Not to forget the deeply religious approach of Suzuki, and the constant quality he brings with his team....

What makes Suzuki's approach particularly "religious"?   :D
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Harry

Quote from: fl.traverso on November 25, 2007, 10:33:33 PM
What makes Suzuki's approach particularly "religious"?   :D

Because Suzuki approaches the music from his faith, as all participants do....

71 dB

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2007, 11:13:45 PM

What is Suzuki's religion? Shinto? Buddhism? Only 0.7 % of Japanese people profess to Christianity according to Wikipedia.

I am an atheist and I enjoy Bach's religious music enormously.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Harry

Quote from: 71 dB on November 26, 2007, 12:13:20 AM
What is Suzuki's religion? Shinto? Buddhism? Only 0.7 % of Japanese people profess to Christianity according to Wikipedia.

I am an atheist and I enjoy Bach's religious music enormously.

He is Christian Poju....
I think I did not imply that being a atheist makes it impossible to listen to Suzuki's interpretation, now did I, or for that matter to Bach.....

71 dB

Quote from: AnthonyAthletic on November 25, 2007, 11:51:42 AM
Hardly heard any of the Cantatas so not really knowing what to expect. 

You are in for a ride.  ;) Next you can explore the Cantatas of Buxtehude and Bruhns. So much beautiful music!

Quote from: Harry on November 26, 2007, 12:19:04 AM
He is Christian Poju....
I think I did not imply that being a atheist makes it impossible to listen to Suzuki's interpretation, now did I, or for that matter to Bach.....

Really? So he is one of the ~900.000 Christians in Japan.

No you didn't imply that Harry, but Suzuki could have any religion to perform Bach well.  ;)
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on November 25, 2007, 11:13:45 PM

Can it be argued that his faith isn't any more religious than other musicians' faith?   ;)

ps. 1 The Suzuki's (Masaaki, Hidemi and Midori) are indeed christian, with ordained
priests in their family no less.

ps. 2 An article on modern interpretations of JSB's own faith:
http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~tas3/rationalistpietist.html
HIP for all and all for HIP! Harpsichord for Bach, fortepiano for Beethoven and pianoforte for Brahms!

Harry

Quote from: fl.traverso on November 26, 2007, 12:27:44 AM
Can it be argued that his faith isn't any more religious than other musicians' faith?   ;)

No..... :)

FideLeo

Quote from: Harry on November 26, 2007, 12:35:27 AM

No..... :)

I think yes. ;D   It seems to me that Leonhardt is quite a pious person himself, if Harnoncourt can't be said of the same. :o  ;D   

rubio

I would like to sample some of Suzuki's cantatas. Do you have a suggestion for one terrific disc to try? It could be with some Christmas cantatas since it is this time of the year.
"One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain" Bob Marley

Bogey

Quote from: Que on November 25, 2007, 09:24:27 PM
Bill, I think it's a smart move to try different styles and conductors - there are so many good interpretations around these days.  :) New cantata cycles keep popping up - incredible. And also outside the cycles there are many beauties to be found (Pierlot, Junghänel, Coin, Herreweghe)
And in the meantime the price of that Harnoncourt/Leonhardt set can only go down! ;D

Q

This set proved just that: