The Bach Cantatas

Started by Que, April 08, 2007, 01:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jlaurson

NEW RELEASES: CDS

Sigiswald Kuijken and Bach Cantatas

QuoteOver the last years of listening to the various Bach Cantata cycles, whether ongoing, complete, or partial, my reactions to them is beginning to fit a pattern: Suzuki—curious disappointment despite highlights. John Elliot Gardiner—highest expectations not quite met. Philippe Herreweghe—uncommon delight. Ton Koopman—modest recollection far exceeded. The Purcell Quartet—lightweight enchantment. And now there's the One-Voice-per-Part, 1-year Bach Cantata cycle by Sigiswald Kuijken on Accent SACDs which has just reached volume 8. I love it...

71 dB

Quote from: erato on August 04, 2009, 09:53:51 AM
BIS has now released the first 30 discs in Suzuki's cycle in 3  10 CD limited edition boxes at around 28 £ per box on mdt.

£28 per box? That's £2.8 per disc!  :o That's maybe one fifth of what I have paid for separate discs!  :-[
These boxes should cost £60-70 new.
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

DavidW

Quote from: jlaurson on August 09, 2009, 03:39:36 AM

NEW RELEASES: CDS

Sigiswald Kuijken and Bach Cantatas

Good review!  I read up on the issue of OVPP in Geck's biography of Bach.  It seems if there is one thing we know about Bach's intentions with his choir is that we know almost nothing about it.  it's just too poorly documented.  Rifkin seems to have passed off speculation as "authentic".  I'm willing to try Kuijken if it sounds good, that's the important thing. :)

Bunny

Quote from: erato on August 04, 2009, 09:53:51 AM
BIS has now released the first 30 discs in Suzuki's cycle in 3  10 CD limited edition boxes at around 28 £ per box on mdt.

It's not being released or shipped until Sept. 2009

I also wonder if the cds are being released in SACD/hybrid format or only in the less expensive stereo version.

71 dB

Quote from: Bunny on August 09, 2009, 07:18:56 AM
I also wonder if the cds are being released in SACD/hybrid format or only in the less expensive stereo version.

Well, only volumes 28-30 would be SACD anyway...
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

jlaurson

Quote from: Bunny on August 09, 2009, 07:18:56 AM
It's not being released or shipped until Sept. 2009

That question really only applies for the last of the four boxes, since SACDs didn't start until volume 28...

ah, I see Bunny got there first.

Quote from: 71 dB on August 09, 2009, 07:55:03 AM
Well, only volumes 28-30 would be SACD anyway...

Sean

It's a slightly incomplete work I understand but I'm wondering if the material is included anywhere else, though I've been unable to establish this. There are several recordings of 193 (Ihr Tore zu zion) elsewhere, and also the chorale used in it is included in the chorales section of the complete Bach set I have here. Everything else checks out...

DavidW

I don't think they included any of the reconstructions, not just bwv 193.

Bunny

Quote from: jlaurson on August 09, 2009, 08:09:35 AM
That question really only applies for the last of the four boxes, since SACDs didn't start until volume 28...

I guess we will find out some time in September when they are released.

Opus106

Quote from: Bunny on August 10, 2009, 08:31:04 AM
I guess we will find out some time in September when they are released.

I'm guessing they will be similar to the The Great Sacred Masterworks box, most/all? of which were originally released as SACDs.
Regards,
Navneeth

Bunny

I don't know whether Suzuki released the cantatas in order so I don't know which ones were SACD/hybrids.  However, the box sets are all listed as CD format, fwiw.  Also no mention of when they will be released in the USA.  Searching Amazon (US) with the ASIN from the UK site did not yield any results.  No matter, US release dates are always behind European release dates.

Sean

Scarpia

Quote from: erato on November 05, 2009, 01:07:02 PM
i Just stumbed on this very curious review of the new BIS/Suzuki set of Bach orchestral music:

"J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos; Orchestral Suites
Album: J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos; Orchestral Suites
Label: Bis
Source: AMG
Listening to this irresistibly joyful and magnificently musical set of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos and Orchestral Suites, one is immediately struck by two thoughts. First, that Masaaki Suzuki and the Bach Collegium Japan have been wasting their time concentrating on Bach's dour cantatas, and second, that Bach himself was wasting his time writing his melancholy church music when he could have been composing infinitely more cheerful secular music. While Suzuki and his crew have turned in superlatively performed, if spectacularly severe recording of the cantatas, they sound just as virtuosic and vastly more comfortable here. Their performances are just as musical; from top to bottom, the Bach Collegium Japan is an outstanding period instrument chamber orchestra. Their sound is rich but bright, their ensemble tight but relaxed, and their intonation virtually flawless. One can point out any number of felicities -- Shigeharu Yamaoka's warm-toned flute in the Second Brandenburg, Natsumi Wakamatsu's keen-edged violin in the Fourth Brandenburg, and Masaaki Suzuki's airborne harpsichord in the Fifth Brandenburg. Recorded in Bis' characteristically vivid super audio digital sound, this three disc set begs to be heard by anyone who likes the works. ~ James Leonard, All Music Guide"

All "boldings" are mine. This is some of the most peculiar Bach reviewing I've seen, and makes me question some aspects of the reviewers mental state. Any views?

Haven't heard any of the Suzuki recordings, but am in general agreement with regard to Bach's output.

The new erato

But Bach's cantatas are joyful!

And besides that; the statement seems to like saying one wishes Wagner had concentrated on writing comic operas, instead of dour operas about dying Gods. Isn't that like saying I like Wagner, if only he wasn't so very characteristically Wagnerian?

Scarpia

Quote from: erato on November 05, 2009, 01:44:41 PM
But Bach's cantatas are joyful!

And besides that; the statement seems to like saying one wishes Wagner had concentrated on writing comic operas, instead of dour operas about dying Gods. Isn't that like saying I like Wagner, if only he wasn't so very characteristically Wagnerian?

Bach wrote both vocal and instrumental music throughout his career.  I don't see anything inconsistent in preferring the instrumental music.  

I don't know about dour vs. joyful, but I get far more pleasure from Bach's orchestral music than from the religious music, particularly the Cantatas.   If he had written fewer cantatas and a lot more concerti I would be happy.

(I was thinking of getting one of the aniversary editions of the Suzuki Cantata set, maybe I should get that Brandenburg set instead.   ;D)

Franco

QuoteIf he had written fewer cantatas and a lot more concerti I would be happy.

I wouldn't.

8)

Scarpia

Franco

Quote from: Scarpia on November 05, 2009, 04:59:24 PM
You've listened to all 200 odd Cantatas?

I am making my way through them, and the quality is amazingly high for each one.  Despite not having heard all of them as of yet, I can say with confidence that because I prefer vocal music in general, and choral music in particular, the idea of reducing the number of cantatas and adding more instrumental works would not make me happier.

Opus106

Quote from: Scarpia on November 05, 2009, 02:02:22 PM
If he had written fewer cantatas and a lot more concerti I would be happy.

He wouldn't have been happy had he done that... you know, without a job and all that. ;)
Regards,
Navneeth

Coopmv

Quote from: Franco on November 05, 2009, 05:05:31 PM
I am making my way through them, and the quality is amazingly high for each one.  Despite not having heard all of them as of yet, I can say with confidence that because I prefer vocal music in general, and choral music in particular, the idea of reducing the number of cantatas and adding more instrumental works would not make me happier.

I will be on vacation during the Christmas week when I can finally start playing this set, which I got back in February at a great price from MDT ...