Chinary Ung's Spirals

Started by snyprrr, March 18, 2009, 01:07:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

snyprrr

here's a composer I'm really interested in.
cambodian-american.

I currently only have one piece, "Spiral" for piano, cello, perc., (on NewWorld-excellent disc of trios) but this piece is so communicative, fun, and...well, I just love it!

I tried the CRI cd a long time ago, with "Grand Spiral" (orch), "Spiral II" (sopr.,tuba, perc?), "Khse Buon" (2 ver.) for solo cello and viola, and I think "Grand Alap" for cello and perc. At the time, this music seemed rougher than what I was expecting and I didn't like it, but now of course I'm ready again.

an Argo cd contains "Inner Voices" for orch (w/McPhee+Harrison)

Another NewWorld cd contains "Grand Spiral", "7 Mirrors" for piano, and "Spiral IV?" for cl,vnc,pn.

And I just found the Del Sol Str. Qrt. playing "Spiral IX?" for amplified string qrt! along with a smattering of Pacific Rim composers.

There's a few more cds available, but for the most part duplicate these works (incl Beiser/Schick doing Khse Buon (I love writing that!).

Though he obviously has that east-west thing going, it IS a general combo that seems to work for me every time (Takemitsu, Yun), as if, of all cultures, the Asian persuasion seems to just lend itself very readily to the western way. Perhaps all the tone bending of the 60s and 70s just found a "natural" partner in the east's micro intervals?

Anyhow, for all the composer bashing I just did, I'd like to lift Ung up as MY "baby",haha. He can be gritty, he can be smooth.
Anyone?

and please try the NewWorld cd by "aequalis" featuring Brody, Ung, Davidovsky, Gideon, and one more I can't remember. BEST CLASSICAL CD COVER EVER!!!

springrite

Quote from: snyprrr on March 18, 2009, 01:07:34 AM

and please try the NewWorld cd by "aequalis" featuring Brody, Ung, Davidovsky, Gideon, and one more I can't remember. BEST CLASSICAL CD COVER EVER!!!

I have that CD and Ung's work is the best one on it, too!
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

snyprrr

Quote from: springrite on March 18, 2009, 01:12:28 AM
I have that CD and Ung's work is the best one on it, too!

A few more cds of Ung have come out on the Bridge label I believe. I still haven't gotten around to expanding my Ung ( :o), but my curiosity is starting to kick in. I see that love for Ung comes...uh...slowly. ::) ;D

snyprrr

Y'know, you could all quit arguing over Stockhausen and check this guy out. Why not? He can't suck that bad...

snyprrr

And a shout out to Ung's Masterpiece Grand Spiral (Dester Flowers Bloom), which sounds very much like a very awesome Villa-Lobos tone poem.