Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skogwald

Quote from: Christo on May 12, 2024, 12:02:58 PMTo me, Holmboe is about the only 'symphonic' composer who was able to combine the 'static' Stravinsky with a very 'symphonic', developing, style. He's unique in that respect, I would say. A good example being the opening, first one and a halve minutes, of the Fifth, but also all symphonies after that. People may disagree, but that's how I always "read" him.

I like this reading! His style is a bit difficult to put into words but it's very effective.

Skogwald

She yo-yo's me and I yo-yo her back, cause I'm a suburban Holmboe!

(am I the only fan of both Holmboe and Sparks here?)

foxandpeng

Quote from: Skogwald on May 19, 2024, 10:27:36 PMShe yo-yo's me and I yo-yo her back, cause I'm a suburban Holmboe!

(am I the only fan of both Holmboe and Sparks here?)

Well, I have no idea what you are talking about! Clearly, cultural references are now beyond me 🙂

I am getting old, I think...
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Skogwald

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 20, 2024, 06:31:28 AMWell, I have no idea what you are talking about! Clearly, cultural references are now beyond me 🙂

I am getting old, I think...

It's a deep cut, don't worry haha