Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Skogwald on May 07, 2024, 07:16:27 AMAre there any Holmboe symphonies that aren't great?

Not sure about greatness regarding these works, but the symphonies for strings are too serious and cryptic. Likely more interesting for those who are into challenges.

Quote from: Skogwald on May 07, 2024, 07:16:27 AMAm I missing something very important by only sticking to the symphonies so far?

Besides the string quartets, some chamber music has merits, for example the violin sonatas and piano trios.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

krummholz

Quote from: Skogwald on May 07, 2024, 07:16:27 AMAre there any Holmboe symphonies that aren't great? Am I missing something very important by only sticking to the symphonies so far?

If I had to pick a weakest Holmboe symphony, it would probably be #3, particularly in the first movement. I quite like the slow movement though. The 4th Symphony is much maligned but while I wouldn't rank it as one of his best, I do think it is worth hearing and it contains much attractive and in places, even moving music.

Maestro267

Quote from: Skogwald on May 07, 2024, 07:38:07 AMHere's Robert Layton on Vagn Holmboe: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TGs1g1G7pgXZvYAz8

It's from the book The Symphony (edited by Robert Simpson)

This one?

Or this one?:

I've read a bit of the latter as it was in a library I visited a few years back.

Skogwald

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 07, 2024, 11:50:44 PMThis one?

Or this one?:

I've read a bit of the latter as it was in a library I visited a few years back.

From the first one (although a different edition). I've read both of these books since they can be found from my local library - Both worth reading I would say.

Maestro267

I assume the essay was written sometime in the 1960s then, as it mentions that Holmboe had written 8 symphonies and was working on a Ninth at the time. The gap between Nos. 8 & 9 was one of the longest in his career, between 1951 and 1969.

Madiel

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 08, 2024, 02:47:19 AMI assume the essay was written sometime in the 1960s then, as it mentions that Holmboe had written 8 symphonies and was working on a Ninth at the time. The gap between Nos. 8 & 9 was one of the longest in his career, between 1951 and 1969.

There were actually multiple "9ths". My copy of the catalogue is several thousand kilometres away but I know one of the symphonic metamorphoses was going to be the 9th before Holmboe changed his mind, and something else as well.

Edit: I just looked up my Wikipedia entry, lol. Epilog was the metamorphosis.*** The other work originally labelled as no.9 was the Sinfonia in Memoriam.

***This always surprises me, I think Epitaph is MUCH more symphonic.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

I feel certain that I first read this notion from @Christo ... but now I am appreciating for myself that the Sixth Symphony is a quantum leap forward from the Fifth.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

krummholz

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 12, 2024, 10:53:44 AMI feel certain that I first read this notion from @Christo ... but now I am appreciating for myself that the Sixth Symphony is a quantum leap forward from the Fifth.

I have always felt that as well.

Christo

Quote from: Karl Henning on May 12, 2024, 10:53:44 AMI feel certain that I first read this notion from @Christo ... but now I am appreciating for myself that the Sixth Symphony is a quantum leap forward from the Fifth.
Far too much honour - but I remember vividly, how I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard the Sixth, right on its appearance: total excitement, precisely thanks to that mysterious andante opening of the first five minutes. What a composer. That fascination has never left me, though now I perhaps appreciate the Eighth and especially the Ninth more. Greetings to all my dear friends, here. Happy to be alive & kicking again!  ;D

Edit: To me, Holmboe is about the only 'symphonic' composer who was able to combine the 'static' Stravinsky with a very 'symphonic', developing, style. He's unique in that respect, I would say. A good example being the opening, first one and a halve minutes, of the Fifth, but also all symphonies after that. People may disagree, but that's how I always "read" him.
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Karl Henning

Quote from: Christo on May 12, 2024, 12:02:58 PMFar too much honour - but I remember vividly, how I almost jumped out of my chair when I heard the Sixth, right on its appearance: total excitement, precisely thanks to that mysterious andante opening of the first five minutes. What a composer. That fascination has never left me, though now I perhaps appreciate the Eighth and especially the Ninth more. Greetings to all my dear friends, here. Happy to be alive & kicking again!  ;D
Very glad to "see" you!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Maestro267

That is high praise given I've usually seen the Fifth or the Eighth quoted as his best symphony. I'll have to revisit it in the morning. I'm still in the process of digesting the cycle, finding the distinguishing qualities in each work that say "this is definitely the
  • th Symphony."

While I've found much to enjoy in all of them, the one single moment that has especially jumped out at me is that loud stab in the middle of the 2nd movement of the Second Symphony, where afterwards (at least in the recording) you can hear the tam-tam resonating. The rest of the orchestra completely covers over the initial attack of the gong so you don't hear it and all you have is the resonation. A remarkable moment imo. Not the only memorable moment in the entire cycle but the one that I can remember very clearly at the moment while still familiarizing myself with all the works.

Karl Henning

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 12, 2024, 12:25:43 PMI'm still in the process of digesting the cycle ....
Likewise, as this is only my second tour.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

It is definitely the period where the musical language takes a significant turn. The early symphonies and concertos wear their folk influences fairly obviously. The 6th is breaking free of that.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

All this Holmboe chatter is making me finally get around to volume 2 of the Nightingale String Quartet's recordings.

I do hope they complete the series, because their performance of SQ number 2 is very good indeed. It's been ages since I listened to the Kontra Quartet recording but my instinct is I'm going to prefer the Nightingale in this particular work.

I'm yet to try the other works on the album (SQs 14 and 21) but it's a strong start and the volume 1 album was also good. Hopefully volume 3 this year?

foxandpeng

Quote from: foxandpeng on July 05, 2023, 01:23:31 PMVery nice. Almost nobody beats Holmboe 😁

Kairos now that you mention him, with Owain Arwell Hughes and the Wales Camerata. There is never a bad time for Holmboe. I think I am in a minority, however, in placing his Symphony #6 as his finest. Not a bad symphony in there, but that stands out for me.

Apparently, I'm not in a minority putting Symphony #6 as his finest 😀
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Camphy

Quote from: Madiel on May 12, 2024, 02:04:00 PMHopefully volume 3 this year?

<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fnightingalestringquartet%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0RvRaGm5mAHn2PmDgTnVjAGpnzzsPrLprWVJkR5wFmMFYfWTRWn4RjXyXfkyZn48Tl&show_text=true&width=500&is_preview=true" width="500" height="250" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

foxandpeng

Quote from: Camphy on May 13, 2024, 09:37:54 AM<iframe src="https://www.facebook.com/plugins/post.php?href=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.facebook.com%2Fnightingalestringquartet%2Fposts%2Fpfbid0RvRaGm5mAHn2PmDgTnVjAGpnzzsPrLprWVJkR5wFmMFYfWTRWn4RjXyXfkyZn48Tl&show_text=true&width=500&is_preview=true" width="500" height="250" style="border:none;overflow:hidden" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen="true" allow="autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; picture-in-picture; web-share"></iframe>

That's really good news. I confess that I think I prefer the Nightingale Qt versions so far, so I look forward to the next in the series.
"A quiet secluded life in the country, with the possibility of being useful to people ... then work which one hopes may be of some use; then rest, nature, books, music, love for one's neighbour — such is my idea of happiness"

Tolstoy

Maestro267

I had to double-check as I thought Holmboe "only" wrote 20 string quartets. Looks like the 21st is a posthumous work completed by Per Norgard.

Madiel

Quote from: Maestro267 on May 13, 2024, 10:20:29 AMI had to double-check as I thought Holmboe "only" wrote 20 string quartets. Looks like the 21st is a posthumous work completed by Per Norgard.

Yes. The Kontra recordings include this and also the unnumbered "Swarm" which is an arrangement of a work originally for 2 violins.

Then there's about 10 he wrote before the official No.1, though I can't remember whether those survive in manuscript.

Edit: now having a listen to SQ no.5 seeing as it's going to be included in the next Nightingale album...

krummholz

Quote from: foxandpeng on May 13, 2024, 09:24:41 AMApparently, I'm not in a minority putting Symphony #6 as his finest 😀

The 6th is very high up in my list but not quite on top. Probably second only to the 9th, though the 12th is very fine as well.