Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

I've got the BIS set of symphonies and I really need to revisit them. Holmboe didn't immediately grab me, but his music is very finely crafted.

CaramelJones

I really don't understand him. 

I had some of his woodwind chamber music and a string quartet disc.

It is really bad.  Hard to get into.

CD

CaramelJones

Not really.

I don't care for his music to try anymore.

I'll sell off the CD instead.  It was one of these ones;

He wrote so many I can't tell the difference between any of them.

CRCulver

Quote from: CaramelJones on July 31, 2010, 03:29:12 PM
I'll sell off the CD instead.  It was one of these ones;

Good luck finding a buyer. I think anyone interested in Holmboe's string quartets would be keen to buy the new Dacapo reissue of the complete set, which is budget-priced.

karlhenning

Quote from: CaramelJones on July 31, 2010, 03:29:12 PM
Not really.

I don't care for his music to try anymore.

I'll sell off the CD instead.

Well, and in case you cannot unload it (per CRCulver's observation . . . and I know I'll buy the entire set) . . . hold onto it.  Go back to it ten years from now;  maybe you'll like it better then, or maybe not.

What is certain is, you will hear it with different ears.  That experience alone will probably be worth holding onto the disc.

CaramelJones

Wow - is it that long since I've had it?  :-X

I've had mine for over 15 years I think ... and I've barely listened to it more than 3 times.

If the complete cycle is out on mid-price, that is going to be one long headache!

Maybe someone will want this lesser torture of a CD in another 10 years :D

CD

Mirror Image

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on July 31, 2010, 03:39:33 PMHold onto it.  Go back to it ten years from now;  maybe you'll like it better then, or maybe not.

What is certain is, you will hear it with different ears.  That experience alone will probably be worth holding onto the disc.

Wise words and so true. It's funny how one can gain so much listening experience and come back to a recording, that had previously been dismissed, with a fresh set of ears and actually find enjoyment in that specific recording.

CaramelJones

Quote from: Mirror Image on July 31, 2010, 05:34:18 PM

Wise words and so true. It's funny how one can gain so much listening experience and come back to a recording, that had previously been dismissed, with a fresh set of ears and actually find enjoyment in that specific recording.

The only thing that is going to improve my estimation of Vagn Holmboe in 10 years time .... is dementia.  :-X

Mirror Image

Quote from: CaramelJones on July 31, 2010, 05:59:24 PM

The only thing that is going to improve my estimation of Vagn Holmboe in 10 years time .... is dementia.  :-X

Well, I'm not a big fan of his music either, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep trying to understand it. You've had that recording for 15 years? My Grandfather, who's 90 yrs old, has owned the Fritz Reiner/CSO recording of Bartok since it first appeared on LP and he just now has started to enjoy it. Sometimes it takes a lifetime to understand a piece of music. Some things grab you instantly, while others take more time to understand.

There are a lot of composers I've dimissed in the past that have ended up being my some of my favorites now. It's amazing how our ears can change over a period of time.

CaramelJones

I hear what you'r saying.  Your grandfather is a lot older than me so he's clearly developed more patience from waiting around all those years much more :)

I probably draw the limits to my appreciation of a piece after 10 years.  I might not be around to enjoy it!   And if it takes any longer, there will be so much more I have to enjoy in between!

What do people like about Holmboe anyway?  It's not melody; it's not rhythm; it's not emotional expression; it's not expression; it's not sonority - what is it?

vandermolen

Quote from: CaramelJones on August 01, 2010, 04:06:04 AM
I hear what you'r saying.  Your grandfather is a lot older than me so he's clearly developed more patience from waiting around all those years much more :)

I probably draw the limits to my appreciation of a piece after 10 years.  I might not be around to enjoy it!   And if it takes any longer, there will be so much more I have to enjoy in between!

What do people like about Holmboe anyway?  It's not melody; it's not rhythm; it's not emotional expression; it's not expression; it's not sonority - what is it?

I find much of his music to be darkly moving - the opening of Symphony No 6 is quite beautiful and the combatitive opening of Symphony No 4 is very powerful in its wartime context (Holmboe's brother was killed in the war). No 10 is one of the best I think - very powerful, expressive and has something of the power of nature - much the same with symphonies 7 and 8.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

CaramelJones

Thanks for your feedback.

I can see that in the music of his I've listened to.

The challenge with Holmboe is... I find myself wading through his symphonies, waiting for something to happen as it meanders.   There are some very eloquent passages within those symphonies as you say (7/8).   I didn't get as far as the 10th so maybe that is the place to start?

Daverz

I wonder how much of the problem is the Bis recordings, as good as they are.  I can imagine more pointed conducting and more detailed sound.

vandermolen

Quote from: Daverz on August 02, 2010, 02:46:25 AM
I wonder how much of the problem is the Bis recordings, as good as they are.  I can imagine more pointed conducting and more detailed sound.

That's a good point with some truth I think. Certainly there was more urgency about the performances of Symphony No 8 (Vox/Turnabout) and No 10 that I had on LP (my introduction to Vagn Holmboe) than on the BIS recordings - good as those are.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

jowcol

The first two movements of the 5th are very muscular--  it's a classic wartime symphony, and very powerful. 

I need to get back into the 10th. 
"If it sounds good, it is good."
Duke Ellington

snyprrr

Quote from: CaramelJones on August 01, 2010, 04:06:04 AM

I'm on your side.

I am down to one cd, String Quartets 13,14,15,.... they say it's the best,... I've tried all others up to them,... yea, mmm, eh,... that will be the last try for me. It was on Ebay a few weeks ago, but I missed it again.

I feel as though the critics of Holmboe feel as though they can compare Holmboe note-for-note with a composer that they doooo like, and show the Holmboe Believers why, note-for-note, other composers consistently deliver at what Holmboe seems to endlessly tease at. Is that it?

I mean, Holmboe VS Shostakovich (for instance),... who wins? "There can be only One, Neo!" I think, IMHO, 100% on this Thread would pick DSCH over H. Overall. And be brutally honest with yourself. Personally,... I wouldn't believe you even if you DID pick H! :Phaha

Holmboe VS Sessions

Holmboe VS Hindemith

Holmboe VS Simpson (some smartass will call this a draw! :-*)

Holmboe VS Ligeti

Holmboe VS Beethoven

Holmboe VS Mennin

Holmboe VS Krenek (ok, now, this seems like a fair fight to me, for instance)

karlhenning

Well, you are a peculiar fellow, and no mistake.

Scarpia

Quote from: snyprrr on August 02, 2010, 11:05:02 AMI feel as though the critics of Holmboe feel as though they can compare Holmboe note-for-note with a composer that they doooo like, and show the Holmboe Believers why, note-for-note, other composers consistently deliver at what Holmboe seems to endlessly tease at. Is that it?

I mean, Holmboe VS Shostakovich (for instance),... who wins? "There can be only One, Neo!" I think, IMHO, 100% on this Thread would pick DSCH over H. Overall. And be brutally honest with yourself. Personally,... I wouldn't believe you even if you DID pick H! :Phaha

Holmboe VS Sessions

Holmboe VS Hindemith

Holmboe VS Simpson (some smartass will call this a draw! :-*)

Holmboe VS Ligeti

Holmboe VS Beethoven

Holmboe VS Mennin

Holmboe VS Krenek (ok, now, this seems like a fair fight to me, for instance)

I find comparisons may be interesting insofar as they allow me to appreciate influences or relationships between different composers or styles.  I don't find them at all useful in determining the "quality" of a composers music or the extent to which I enjoy a composer's music.