Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Oh, I guess we haven't, any of us . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

springrite

Based on limited exposure only, but I am thinking I like his chamber music more. (I do have the complete symphonies on BIS)
Do what I must do, and let what must happen happen.

Karl Henning

I do like the string quartets even better, probably significantly better.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

The only thing I own on CD so far is the symphonies, but BIS is good enough to enable everything to be heard online.

I've been going through all the Holmboe I can get my hands on, either through them or the sampling that's available on iTunes (note, this is actually what started me on creating that Wikipedia list of compositions), and I intend to make some purchases once I'm at the end.  The quartets will be top of the list, but it turns out that around two-thirds of the 197 opus numbers have been recorded, rather more than I had initialy expected.

Up to opus 120, and I've liked virtually everything I've heard.

But it's not often there's actually much choice in recordings.  Kairos/Chairos is one of the relatively rare cases where the two main 'Holmboe record labels', BIS and DaCapo, have both made a recording. They also overlap on parts of the (chamber) concerto series - DaCapo have made a complete set of all 13, BIS haven't but it seems as if the BIS ones may be slightly better in the works they've done.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Christo

Quote from: orfeo on April 23, 2012, 05:43:41 AM
Curious to know, has anyone had the chance to hear both versions of Kairos/Chairos and, if so, thoughts on the differences/which is better?

I only own the first, the Dacapo. I cannot judge the BIS then, but I can see that the first has its advantages: a second bonus cd in which the four movements of the Sinfonia IV - a Preludio, Interludio I, Interludio II, Postludio - are placed around the single-movement Sinfonias 1-3 in order to create the mega "Chairos" Sinfonia as a whole.

And of course its modest price.  :)
... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948

Madiel

Quote from: Christo on May 03, 2012, 11:48:13 PM
I only own the first, the Dacapo. I cannot judge the BIS then, but I can see that the first has its advantages: a second bonus cd in which the four movements of the Sinfonia IV - a Preludio, Interludio I, Interludio II, Postludio - are placed around the single-movement Sinfonias 1-3 in order to create the mega "Chairos" Sinfonia as a whole.

And of course its modest price.  :)

The BIS solves the problem a different way. It starts with the mega Kairos, with Sinfonia IV's movements split, and then just re-presents Sinfonia IV complete again on the same CD.

I think either tactic works.  ;D

The whole idea is an interesting one, though.  Not least because I think that the order of hearing different pieces of music really can make a difference to how we perceive them.  We've got a composer deliberately toying with that idea.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

DaCapo is about to release a recording of the Chamber Symphonies.

Very interested, because a number of the old Gramophone reviews say "won't someone please record the marvellous chamber symphonies"!  ;D

Madiel

Bought the BIS version of Kairos on a trip to Melbourne.  A bit pricey, but I was so astonished at (1) finding a fair sized classical-CD shop, and (2) finding a Holmboe disc in it, that I thought I had better buy it to encourage them to keep adding Holmboe stock!  ;D

kishnevi

Quote from: orfeo on August 17, 2012, 07:16:44 PM
Bought the BIS version of Kairos on a trip to Melbourne.  A bit pricey, but I was so astonished at (1) finding a fair sized classical-CD shop, and (2) finding a Holmboe disc in it, that I thought I had better buy it to encourage them to keep adding Holmboe stock!  ;D

I do that sometimes in the local shops, all two of them....although not of Holmboe, since I don't yet have a recording of any of his works.  (But the Chamber Symphonies is in my shopping cart for the next order from Prestoclassical.)

Madiel

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on August 17, 2012, 07:56:18 PM
I do that sometimes in the local shops, all two of them....although not of Holmboe, since I don't yet have a recording of any of his works.  (But the Chamber Symphonies is in my shopping cart for the next order from Prestoclassical.)

You are aware, I hope, that Prestoclassical has a DaCapo sale on?

I'm about to snap up the string quartets, the chamber symphonies and the 'volume 1' of chamber music.

Madiel

Your resident Holmboe obsessive is popping up again...

Now that I have the string quartets, the chamber symphonies, Kairos, violin/piano music and another disc of chamber music that I'm working through, I am REALLY noticing the differences in Holmboe's style in different periods.

Especially this period in the 1960s where his music is noticeably 'tougher' and more 'difficult' than either before or after.  Then in the 1970s there's this beautiful transparency to his scoring.

I suppose the symphonies didn't really convey this to me quite so much because they are very unevenly distributed through his career.  Of the 13 numbered symphonies, the first 8 are effectively 'early'.  Symphony No.8 is opus 56 in 1951. At that point there's still 141 opuses to go, and 45 years of composing.

I'm still yet to listen to all that much of his 1980s and 90s work.

vandermolen

Quote from: orfeo on October 12, 2012, 07:15:29 PM
Your resident Holmboe obsessive is popping up again...

Now that I have the string quartets, the chamber symphonies, Kairos, violin/piano music and another disc of chamber music that I'm working through, I am REALLY noticing the differences in Holmboe's style in different periods.

Especially this period in the 1960s where his music is noticeably 'tougher' and more 'difficult' than either before or after.  Then in the 1970s there's this beautiful transparency to his scoring.

I suppose the symphonies didn't really convey this to me quite so much because they are very unevenly distributed through his career.  Of the 13 numbered symphonies, the first 8 are effectively 'early'.  Symphony No.8 is opus 56 in 1951. At that point there's still 141 opuses to go, and 45 years of composing.

I'm still yet to listen to all that much of his 1980s and 90s work.

Interesting - I don't know the chamber music. Which is your favourite symphony? I like 4,6,7,8 and 10.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Madiel

Quote from: vandermolen on October 13, 2012, 01:28:14 AM
Interesting - I don't know the chamber music. Which is your favourite symphony? I like 4,6,7,8 and 10.

I think I'd have to put No.8 at the very top.  The sense of power in it is amazing.

I'm also very fond of No.5.  And 1, and 3, and 6, and 11...

vandermolen

Quote from: orfeo on October 13, 2012, 04:45:23 PM
I think I'd have to put No.8 at the very top.  The sense of power in it is amazing.

I'm also very fond of No.5.  And 1, and 3, and 6, and 11...

Thank you. Yes, No 8 is great - it was my first contact with Holmboe via a Vox Turnabout LP.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

So we are giving up on that alleged box reissue of the chamber concerti? . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on October 14, 2012, 04:03:23 PM
So we are giving up on that alleged box reissue of the chamber concerti? . . .

I was actually thinking about e-mailing Da Capo, because they proved themselves to be responsive when I asked about another disc.

(Unlike EMI, mutter grumble rant...)

Dundonnell

Holmboe addicts-of whom I am one-will be delighted to know that Dacapo will be releasing in January a cd containing the Violin Concerto No.2, op.139 of 1978-79 and the Viola Concerto, op. 189 of 1991-92 (see complete catalogue at composers. gulabin.com; sorry you are going to get a lot of this shameless plugging now I am back :D).

These are the two major Holmboe concertos still unrecorded and will fill the gap just perfectly :)

Karl Henning

Mm, that does sound yummy, Colin!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: Dundonnell on October 18, 2012, 05:33:39 AM
Holmboe addicts-of whom I am one-will be delighted to know that Dacapo will be releasing in January a cd containing the Violin Concerto No.2, op.139 of 1978-79 and the Viola Concerto, op. 189 of 1991-92 (see complete catalogue at composers. gulabin.com; sorry you are going to get a lot of this shameless plugging now I am back :D).

These are the two major Holmboe concertos still unrecorded and will fill the gap just perfectly :)

Woohoo!

I don't know what's caused it, but Dacapo are REALLY pulling out the Holmboe premieres in the last year or two.  Fantastic.

It genuinely feels as if someone sat down and said "right, what are the gaps in the catalogue?".  Hats off to all the record companies that do this instead of deciding the world needs a 492nd recording of the same piece.

Dundonnell

I could not agree more with the sentiments in your last paragraph :)

Every month I read reviews in the music magazines of yet another recording of a Mahler symphony. Now-with the greatest of respect to all my friends who adore Mahler (and I DO love some of his symphonies and fully acknowledge his genius)- does the world really need another recording of the same Mahler symphony from yet one more orchestra and yet one more conductor ???

And if the answer is really yes, that Mahler's symphonies are ever open to yet another interpretation, then at least balance that with the filling-in of gaps in the output of a genuinely fine composer like Vagn Holmboe.