Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Parsifal

Quote from: karlhenning on July 17, 2013, 09:30:20 AM
Good score! I pulled the trigger on the CD box when it was at the improbably ripe price-point of $23.86.

Looking back, I got it for $23.83.  Sucker!

pencils

Quote from: Scarpia on July 17, 2013, 09:40:14 AM
Looking back, I got it for $23.83.  Sucker!

£15.71 at today's exchange rate. Pah. I was conned.

pencils

snyprrr

Quote from: pencils on August 04, 2013, 12:11:09 PM
This makes me want to go all 'Mr. Stabby'.

Perhaps I am wrong to feel that way.

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/recording-a-hand-for-holmboe--en-haand-til-holmboe--katrine-ring--deconstructions.aspx

Mr. Stabby, THAT's hilarious!!!! (we should party!!!!) Yea, I wasn't prepared for THAT!! :'( >:D Feel free to send her tweets of your junk!!

"International DJ" :P :P :P

"breathes NEW LIFE" into Holmboe...

oh, what would we DO without her???????

I'll stop here,... it's a family forum

pencils

She really had me when she started talking about improving the 'boring' bits.

Annoying bint.

Madiel

My records tell me I got the string quartet cycle for $26.77.  That's on CD.

Snypyrr, I know you keep banging on about the disc with quartets 13-15 being the 'best' one, but just because someone somewhere believed that it doesn't mean that it's going to be that way for everyone.  Truth be told my preferred quartets are scattered throughout so I would find it quite challenging to pick a single disc.  If forced I would possibly go for the disc with quartets 10-12.

EDIT: Oh yes. Hello, forum. Been travelling for nearly 3 months. Back now.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

snyprrr

Quote from: orfeo on August 08, 2013, 07:35:21 PM
My records tell me I got the string quartet cycle for $26.77.  That's on CD.

Snypyrr, I know you keep banging on about the disc with quartets 13-15 being the 'best' one, but just because someone somewhere believed that it doesn't mean that it's going to be that way for everyone.  Truth be told my preferred quartets are scattered throughout so I would find it quite challenging to pick a single disc.  If forced I would possibly go for the disc with quartets 10-12.

Well, I waaas getting the series, and I got each one up to 13-15, but, between the Danacord slightly astringent sound, and the  music, I wasn't getting it at all. I have held out hope for 13-15 (which, yes, I believe Penguin sited as their fav), but... maybe I can just check YouTube?

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on August 08, 2013, 07:35:21 PM

Welcome back!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Quote from: snyprrr on August 08, 2013, 08:12:18 PM
Well, I waaas getting the series, and I got each one up to 13-15, but, between the Danacord slightly astringent sound, and the  music, I wasn't getting it at all. I have held out hope for 13-15 (which, yes, I believe Penguin sited as their fav), but... maybe I can just check YouTube?

Well, 13 and 14 are somewhat different from others in the cycle, but if you didn't find anything you liked in the first 12 quartets I'm not that confident you'll be won over.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

pencils

Quote from: orfeo on August 09, 2013, 10:08:00 PM
Well, 13 and 14 are somewhat different from others in the cycle, but if you didn't find anything you liked in the first 12 quartets I'm not that confident you'll be won over.

Agreed. Keep listening though, because if something does break and you fall for Holmboe's music, then there is no looking back. I love him inordinately.

snyprrr

Quote from: orfeo on August 09, 2013, 10:08:00 PM

well ok, there's a little confirmation.

But seriously, you all LIKE the recorded sound of this cycle?? I found it so dry and brittle... aaand, I dooo seem to have a problem with the Kontra Quartet. Either they always get recorded too aggressively (or something), or they just play with a corporate ferocity that I don't like. waaaah!!

Karl Henning

Corporate ferocity, you weed?!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Cato

Quote from: snyprrr on August 14, 2013, 05:23:35 AM
But seriously, you all LIKE the recorded sound of this cycle?? I found it so dry and brittle... aaand, I dooo seem to have a problem with the Kontra Quartet. Either they always get recorded too aggressively (or something), or they just play with a corporate ferocity that I don't like. waaaah!!

Quote from: karlhenning on August 14, 2013, 05:28:45 AM
Corporate ferocity, you weed?!

Sounds like a hostile take-over!

Do you mean "corporal ferocity" perhaps?
"Meet Miss Ruth Sherwood, from Columbus, Ohio, the Middle of the Universe!"

- Brian Aherne introducing Rosalind Russell in  My Sister Eileen (1942)

Madiel

The sound is definitely dry. I don't know if I'd specifically say I like it, but I don't DISlike it. Except very slightly on the first disc in the set. The recorded sound doesn't get in the way for me.

Karl Henning

Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

pencils

Madiel

I am currently falling completely and utterly in love with Symphony No.2, which wasn't in the top rank for me when I first got to know the symphonies. I'm hearing all sorts of new details... Like some of the brilliant use of percussion that is subtler than the really noisy bits. There's a rhythm that links part of the 1st movement with part of the 3rd.

Madiel

I'd be interested in anyone else's thoughts/feelings about Symphony No.13.

I still can't get much out of it compared to most of the other symphonies. It seems a lot more blocky, rather than having his normal sense of flow, and frequently it's rather unsubtle (although I do like the last movement rather more). In complete contrast to Symphony No.2, here the percussion is rather off-putting - especially at the very opening, which strikes me as not very 'symphonic'.

I know it gets praised with an 'oh wow, look at what "vital" music this really old man was still writing', but I'm feeling like the old man was shouting a bit until someone suggested he turn up his hearing aid...

Is it just me?

Madiel

Having listened to Symphony No.13 a number of times over the past week-and-a-half, I feel I need to issue a public apology for casting aspersions on its character.

Just in case anyone was paying attention, you understand.

Christo

... music is not only an 'entertainment', nor a mere luxury, but a necessity of the spiritual if not of the physical life, an opening of those magic casements through which we can catch a glimpse of that country where ultimate reality will be found.    RVW, 1948