Vagn Holmboe (1909-1996)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:25:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl Henning

Quote from: Jeffrey Smith on May 03, 2016, 07:08:41 PM
I finished my first voyage through the symphonies set.  The only one I thought weak was the Fourth: Mahler without the neuroticism, Shostakovich without the angst.

This week I am going through the SQs.  The lack of track listings, or even identifying the quartets on the sleeve of each CD, is a bit annoying.  God help me if I ever lose the booklet!

Point taken!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA
http://www.karlhenning.com/
[Matisse] was interested neither in fending off opposition,
nor in competing for the favor of wayward friends.
His only competition was with himself. — Françoise Gilot

Madiel

Concerto time again... for the last time.

Because the Viola Concerto op.189 is the last work in this form to be recorded.

[asin]B00AOALXJI[/asin]

And what a recording. The martial start, all pounding drums, leaps out of the speakers. The first entry of the viola is a long rhapsodic solo (introducing some of the figures that will recur in the rest of the movement), but then the orchestra reasserts its steady pulse and the 2nd time the viola agrees to join in, Allegro moderato ma con forza. The viola breaks free from the rhythm just a couple more times in the 1st movement, one of them being at the very end as the music quietens and decelerates in a typical Holmboe manoeuvre.

And then the 2nd movement starts just as forcefully, and faster, and they're off again in a rhythmic dance that's not dissimilar in mood to the 1st movement. But this time, it only lasts a few minutes before the viola has a big cadenza which leads into the central Andante section of the movement, far more lyrical. When the pace picks up again the music is light and slightly jaunty. It doesn't feel fast but there are occasional fast runs. The music slows down a bit again, then resumes its pace with the drums making their presence strongly felt. And that's how it goes to the end, with the last thumps failing to dislodge the viola from its final note.

The viola seems to have done darn well from Holmboe. One review of this disc described this as "one of the finest viola concertos ever penned", and the Chamber Concerto for viola was one of my favourites from that series. But the other thing this particular disc has is outstanding recorded sound.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Madiel

And that's the end of this grab-bag of concerto thoughts, because sadly the String Quartet Concerto hasn't been recorded by anyone. I kind of wish it had been put on that Da Capo disc instead of the early Concerto for Orchestra, but oh well. One day.
I am now working on a discography of the works of Vagn Holmboe. Please visit and also contribute!

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on June 02, 2016, 06:19:47 AM
Concerto time again... for the last time.

Because the Viola Concerto op.189 is the last work in this form to be recorded.

[asin]B00AOALXJI[/asin]

And what a recording. The martial start, all pounding drums, leaps out of the speakers. The first entry of the viola is a long rhapsodic solo (introducing some of the figures that will recur in the rest of the movement), but then the orchestra reasserts its steady pulse and the 2nd time the viola agrees to join in, Allegro moderato ma con forza. The viola breaks free from the rhythm just a couple more times in the 1st movement, one of them being at the very end as the music quietens and decelerates in a typical Holmboe manoeuvre.

And then the 2nd movement starts just as forcefully, and faster, and they're off again in a rhythmic dance that's not dissimilar in mood to the 1st movement. But this time, it only lasts a few minutes before the viola has a big cadenza which leads into the central Andante section of the movement, far more lyrical. When the pace picks up again the music is light and slightly jaunty. It doesn't feel fast but there are occasional fast runs. The music slows down a bit again, then resumes its pace with the drums making their presence strongly felt. And that's how it goes to the end, with the last thumps failing to dislodge the viola from its final note.

The viola seems to have done darn well from Holmboe. One review of this disc described this as "one of the finest viola concertos ever penned", and the Chamber Concerto for viola was one of my favourites from that series. But the other thing this particular disc has is outstanding recorded sound.

There is beautiful music on that disc!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Camphy

Quote from: orfeo on June 02, 2016, 06:21:09 AM
And that's the end of this grab-bag of concerto thoughts, because sadly the String Quartet Concerto hasn't been recorded by anyone. I kind of wish it had been put on that Da Capo disc instead of the early Concerto for Orchestra, but oh well. One day.

There's hope. Thanks for writing these observations. I've ordered some of the concertos disks (from the BIS series), and am looking forward to listening to them. Last year Da Capo announced on their website the release of a box set of the concertos, but after a short while the announcement was taken off again. Even so, I hope they will follow up on it in the near future.

Mirror Image

Let's hope Dacapo gets to recording the symphonies (not that I'm dissatisfied with Hughes in any way).

vandermolen

Quote from: karlhenning on May 04, 2016, 05:21:22 AM
Point taken!
I like the opening of No.4 although 6,7,8 and 10 are my favourites. Must get that Viola Concerto CD.
"Courage is going from failure to failure without losing enthusiasm" (Churchill).

'The test of a work of art is, in the end, our affection for it, not our ability to explain why it is good' (Stanley Kubrick).

Karl Henning

orfeo, would you have any idea if an (apparently late, "by 1994") choral unaccompanied setting of Pludselig blev mørket lyst igen (Suddenly the darkness became light again) has been sung?  Where we might obtain choral scores?
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2016, 05:52:38 AM
orfeo, would you have any idea if an (apparently late, "by 1994") choral unaccompanied setting of Pludselig blev mørket lyst igen (Suddenly the darkness became light again) has been sung?  Where we might obtain choral scores?

The catalogue info I have says that it was published in a book called "6 National Songs" (6 Folkelige sange), edited by Else Marie Okkels. That was published in 1994, hence the date.

There are apparently two versions of the book, one of which has the choral unaccompanied setting (the other is voice and piano).

So maybe it's only available in that book with other composers. Google provides library hits on the Danish title that prove the book exists, though I haven't spotted one for sale.

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on June 06, 2016, 06:11:51 AM
The catalogue info I have says that it was published in a book called "6 National Songs" (6 Folkelige sange), edited by Else Marie Okkels. That was published in 1994, hence the date.

There are apparently two versions of the book, one of which has the choral unaccompanied setting (the other is voice and piano).

So maybe it's only available in that book with other composers. Google provides library hits on the Danish title that prove the book exists, though I haven't spotted one for sale.

Many thanks!
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Karl Henning

It occurs to me that I know an organist from Denmark, and I should see what he might be able to tell me . . . .
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

It appears it was published by... an association for Danish high schools??

I believe these are the people: www.ffd.dk  but the site is only in Danish. If you can't track down a copy in a Danish library, at a pinch you could try writing to them (in English - chances are they speak it) and see what happens.

Heck, writing to people about obscure Holmboe recordings has netted me 4 free CDs this year...

Karl Henning

Quote from: orfeo on June 06, 2016, 06:27:12 AM
(in English - chances are they speak it)

Every Dane I have gotten to know yet, has spoken very good English.
Karl Henning, Ph.D.
Composer & Clarinetist
Boston MA

Madiel

Quote from: karlhenning on June 06, 2016, 06:30:28 AM
Every Dane I have gotten to know yet, has spoken very good English.

Yes, the only reason I hedged my bets was simply because there was no English version of the site.

Anyway, your local Danish organist can tackle the task for you, as well as investigating libraries.  ;)

Camphy

Camphy

New announcement of the collected chamber concertos by Da Capo (January 2017):

http://www.dacapo-records.dk/en/future-releases.aspx

Madiel

Excellent. Let's hope it actually happens this time!

Camphy

Doubtful. It's been taken off again.

CRCulver

The quality of the Dacapo Chamber Concertos (both in terms of performance and sound) is so inferior to those Chamber Concertos recorded on BIS, that I wish BIS had just completed their series. Unfortunately, after over a decade Robert von Bahr's attention has probably wandered off elsewhere than Holmboe, and maybe Owain Arwel Hughes isn't in a position to conduct more Holmboe with a Danish orchestra.

Daverz

Quote from: CRCulver on July 13, 2016, 08:58:43 AM
The quality of the Dacapo Chamber Concertos (both in terms of performance and sound) is so inferior to those Chamber Concertos recorded on BIS, that I wish BIS had just completed their series. Unfortunately, after over a decade Robert von Bahr's attention has probably wandered off elsewhere than Holmboe, and maybe Owain Arwel Hughes isn't in a position to conduct more Holmboe with a Danish orchestra.

I'll have to compare with the Bis, but the Dacapo discs have excellent sonics to my ears.  Perhaps a matter of taste.  No complaints about the performances, either.