Author Topic: Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)  (Read 33900 times)

Offline arpeggio

Re: Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #160 on: May 14, 2020, 05:52:32 PM »
I have become a big fan of Atterberg. 

He is a great composer who is not great.  He may not be in the same class as a Beethoven but he still composed some great music.  The vast majority of us here have found some wonderful music beyond those of the great masters.

One of my favorite Atterberg works is his Eighth Symphony.  The arch of the work reminds me of the New World.  Here we have a symphony that seems to be similar to the New World but it is still unique in its own way.

I preform a daily walk to keep in shape during the virus crises.  Sometimes I will carry my CD player (No new fangled technology for me) and listen to the Eighth.  Marvolous.

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
  • Dmitri Shostakovich (1906 - 1975)
  • Currently Listening to:
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #161 on: May 14, 2020, 06:20:15 PM »
I have become a big fan of Atterberg. 

He is a great composer who is not great.  He may not be in the same class as a Beethoven but he still composed some great music.  The vast majority of us here have found some wonderful music beyond those of the great masters.

One of my favorite Atterberg works is his Eighth Symphony.  The arch of the work reminds me of the New World.  Here we have a symphony that seems to be similar to the New World but it is still unique in its own way.

I preform a daily walk to keep in shape during the virus crises.  Sometimes I will carry my CD player (No new fangled technology for me) and listen to the Eighth.  Marvolous.

I really love the 3rd symphony. This is one work I could listen to any time of the day and everyday and never get bored with it. Absolutely enchanting from start to finish.
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline Symphonic Addict

« Reply #162 on: May 14, 2020, 06:38:04 PM »
This may sound shocking, but my love for the 3rd has decreased. I was in an Atterberg marathon some weeks ago and that was my impression. I don't find the first two movements great anymore, only the III still moves me.

Having said that, my favorite Atterberg symphonies are: 1, 2, 6 and 8.

The 9th is definitely the least interesting. I listened to the Chandos recording with Järvi with the hope it would impress me best, but alas, it didn't at all.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 06:42:11 PM by Symphonic Addict »

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
    Shostakovich, Prokofiev, Weinberg, Myaskovsky, Glazunov, Rachmaninov, Martinů, Dvořák, Sibelius, Nielsen, Tubin, Atterberg, Holmboe, Tveitt, Langgaard, Copland, Barber, W. Schuman, Bernstein, Rouse, Vaughan Williams, Alwyn, Arnold, Walton
« Reply #163 on: May 14, 2020, 07:00:57 PM »
This may sound shocking, but my love for the 3rd has decreased. I was in an Atterberg marathon some weeks ago and that was my impression. I don't find the first two movements great anymore, only the III still moves me.

The 9th is definitely the least interesting. I listened to the Chandos recording with Järvi with the hope it would impress me best, but alas, it didn't at all.

I’m not fond of the 9th either and never listen to it. I also like the concerti. I haven’t heard any of his chamber works.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2020, 07:21:54 PM by Mirror Image »
“When a man is in despair, it means that he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Offline kyjo

• Veteran member
  • Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)
« Reply #164 on: Today at 02:35:54 PM »

I’m somewhat inclined to agree with you about the 3rd, Cesar, after a recent listen. The 1st movement is lovely (though not very “symphonic” perhaps), but this time around I found the 2nd movement to be rather bombastic, even banal, in places (too many cymbal crashes!), and the melodic material to be not some of Atterberg’s best. I still think the glorious 3rd movement is one of his finest creations, of course. So, in summary, the 2nd movement somewhat spoils the work for me and, on balance, I prefer his 1st, 2nd, and 5th symphonies overall. Don’t get me wrong, I still love the 3rd, I’ve just become a bit more critical towards it.
« Last Edit: Today at 02:38:58 PM by kyjo »
"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" - Sergei Rachmaninoff

Offline relm1

• Veteran member
« Reply #165 on: Today at 03:00:19 PM »
I really love the 3rd symphony. This is one work I could listen to any time of the day and everyday and never get bored with it. Absolutely enchanting from start to finish.
+1, it's a magical work from start to finish.  Something very special about it.  It's lonely, atmospheric, epic, dramatic, bold, concise, and ultimately transformative. 

Offline Mirror Image

• Veteran member
« Reply #166 on: Today at 06:20:44 PM »
+1, it's a magical work from start to finish.  Something very special about it.  It's lonely, atmospheric, epic, dramatic, bold, concise, and ultimately transformative.

8) Good to hear you enjoy it as well.