Kurt Atterberg (1887-1974)

Started by Guido, March 18, 2009, 06:38:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Symphonic Addict

A piece of advice to 71dB: listen to more music apart from Elgar and Nielsen. It's rather unfair and unprecise to reduce everything to Elgar.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 10:52:26 AM
Doesn't really matter if all he'll do is compare him to Elgar. ;)

And Tchaikovsky, Nielsen and Khachaturian...  :P
Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

71 dB

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2020, 10:57:52 AM
A piece of advice to 71dB: listen to more music apart from Elgar and Nielsen. It's rather unfair and unprecise to reduce everything to Elgar.

I haven't listened to Elgar or Nielsen much lately as I have been exploring other composers (Weinberg, Englund, Petterson, Atterberg...). That said, it not your business what I listen to.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on May 27, 2020, 11:03:41 AM
I haven't listened to Elgar or Nielsen much lately as I have been exploring other composers (Weinberg, Englund, Petterson, Atterberg...). That said, it not your business what I listen to.

I don't think Cesar meant any harm in what he was suggesting, 71 dB. Stop being so sensitive.

Ratliff

And how is it "unfair?"

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 27, 2020, 11:35:38 AM
And how is it "unfair?"

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 11:08:26 AM
I don't think Cesar meant any harm in what he was suggesting, 71 dB. Stop being so sensitive.

In late 90's when I got into classical music I did not have internet connection home and when I got internet connection I didn't join online discussion boards until around 2004. I had much more time to explore music and also I didn't have to argue about everything with strangers online. I just had my opinions, impressions, delusions and what not and nobody argued against them. In that sense I miss those old times...

...to fans of Atterberg: I could have chosen to NOT explore Atterberg at all, but I did chose to explore his music. How long did it take you to really get into his music? 10 seconds? 10 minutes? 10 hours? I have listened to 3 symphonies together about 2 hours worth of music. I have seen people mention here it took them years to warm up to Elgar and I am supposed to become a hardcore Atterbergian in 3 days? Come on...

Just enjoy my silly impressions of his music as a total newbie who understands hardly 10 % of his art.  ;D

P.S. I don't expect/require Atterberg to sound like Elgar. I like a lot of composers who don't sound like Elgar at all.

Mirror Image

Quote from: 71 dB on May 27, 2020, 11:47:46 AM
In late 90's when I got into classical music I did not have internet connection home and when I got internet connection I didn't join online discussion boards until around 2004. I had much more time to explore music and also I didn't have to argue about everything with strangers online. I just had my opinions, impressions, delusions and what not and nobody argued against them. In that sense I miss those old times...

...to fans of Atterberg: I could have chosen to NOT explore Atterberg at all, but I did chose to explore his music. How long did it take you to really get into his music? 10 seconds? 10 minutes? 10 hours? I have listened to 3 symphonies together about 2 hours worth of music. I have seen people mention here it took them years to warm up to Elgar and I am supposed to become a hardcore Atterbergian in 3 days? Come on...

Just enjoy my silly impressions of his music as a total newbie who understands hardly 10 % of his art.  ;D

His music is there to discover or not. You act like you're doing us a favor by listening to his music. Like we're all supposed to pat you on the back for trying. I'm glad you're listening to the music, but I'm not going to kiss your butt just because you are.

Ratliff

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 11:46:05 AM

I'm not picking a fight, just tired of the antagonism shown towards 71 dB. If he finds Atterberg uninspired, so be it. I enjoyed listening to the Atterberg cycle on cpo years ago, but I see no need to take offense if someone has the opposite reaction.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 27, 2020, 12:04:36 PM
I'm not picking a fight, just tired of the antagonism shown towards 71 dB. If he finds Atterberg uninspired, so be it. I enjoyed listening to the Atterberg cycle on cpo years ago, but I see no need to take offense if someone has the opposite reaction.

I'm with you. It doesn't bother if he has negative reactions to the music, but he just got through saying, in a nutshell, that we should be grateful he's listening to the music in the first-place. I don't agree with this kind of mentality, especially given my own history with this music.

Ratliff

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 12:08:13 PM
I'm with you. It doesn't bother if he has negative reactions to the music, but just got through saying, in a nutshell, that we should be grateful he's listening to the music in the first-place. I don't agree with this kind of mentality, especially given my own history with this music.

He described his reaction to the some music he was listening to and you replied with a personal insult, that he was childish. That is contrary to the spirt, and the rules, of the board.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 27, 2020, 12:13:18 PM
He described his reaction to the some music he was listening to and you replied with a personal insult, that he was childish. That is contrary to the spirt, and the rules, of the board.

Don't be so dramatic, Scarpia. I didn't personally call him a child, I was remarking on what I felt to be childish. If he took great offense to what I said, then I'll make a formal apology, but I didn't mean any harm in what I said.

Mirror Image

To 71 dB, sorry for belittling you. Glad you're listening to Atterberg whether you like him or not --- doesn't matter. At least, you listened and that's all that counts.

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 11:57:58 AM
His music is there to discover or not. You act like you're doing us a favor by listening to his music. Like we're all supposed to pat you on the back for trying. I'm glad you're listening to the music, but I'm not going to kiss your butt just because you are.

Quite agree with this. I often see his comments like trying to draw attention and being a little incendiary for some reason with some of his comments. One needs to be more prudent and wise to criticize something.
Part of the tragedy of the Palestinians is that they have essentially no international support for a good reason: they've no wealth, they've no power, so they've no rights.

Noam Chomsky

Symphonic Addict

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 27, 2020, 11:35:38 AM
And how is it "unfair?"

Unfair because he gives the impression that everything has to sound like Elgar. If not, it's not good.

Noam Chomsky

Ratliff

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2020, 01:43:23 PM
Unfair because he gives the impression that everything has to sound like Elgar. If not, it's not good.

71 dB was dismissive of Atterberg's third symphony, but you were condescending and belittling of 71 dB personally.

71 dB

Quote from: Symphonic Addict on May 27, 2020, 01:43:23 PM

Sorry if I made you think that. Atterberg sounding like Elgar or not sounding like Elgar has nothing to do with me liking or disliking the music. How much does Dittersdorf sound like Elgar? How much does Pärt sound like Elgar? How much does Weinberg sound like Elgar? Generally speaking I find very little Elgar in the music of other composers and that's fine because Elgar didn't have the monopoly over great music. I don't know why, but especially the first movement of Atterberg's 1st Symphony gave me Elgarian vibes (but with less vibrant colors) and I was merely stating that especially the 3rd didn't have Elgarian vibes anymore indicating it seems to be a feature of his earliest Symphonies and probably totally gone in the later ones, but I will know better when I have heard them, #4 tomorrow. Okay?  :P

Ratliff

I'm feeling like it's too long since I hear any Atterberg or any Elgar...

71 dB

Quote from: Mirror Image on May 27, 2020, 11:57:58 AM

I don't think I make a favor to you. I hope I'm doing a favor to myself by educating myself about a Swedish composer I knew nothing about before. What I mean is you are welcome to follow my journey if you want. I don't expect anyone to kiss my ass or pat me on the back. All I expect is to be allowed to have my own more or less silly impressions of music that is totally new to me.

71 dB

Quote from: Baron Scarpia on May 27, 2020, 12:04:36 PM

Thanks for the support.  ;)

I wouldn't say I am totally uninspired. Especially the 2nd Symphony had strong material imo. I was just disappointed with the 3rd, because my expectations were it's at least as good as the 2nd, but I found it weaker. Atterberg still has 6 Symphonies to impress me and theres always non-Symphonic works... ...What I have said about Atterberg is my initial thoughs.