Scarlatti 449

Started by ezodisy, March 16, 2009, 03:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ezodisy

sul G

Thanks - one of the most hypnotically beautiful of all the Scarlatti sonatas, this one.  :)

sul G

Or at least as played by Gilels, which is the way I like it. That Michelangeli!  :o :o Can't say that it seems right at all, but to each his own  ;D

ezodisy

oh well, now it's moved in here no one will ever find it.

I prefer the Michelangeli performance. I'd like to hear Gilels' or one like it during a concert, but the brilliance and precision of M is a lot of fun.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: ezodisy on March 16, 2009, 10:35:37 AM
oh well, now it's moved in here no one will ever find it.

I prefer the Michelangeli performance. I'd like to hear Gilels' or one like it during a concert, but the brilliance and precision of M is a lot of fun.

I'll listen when I get home--if I remember to.

ezodisy

lol! Yeah this section of the board sucks.

I should post all my threads in here and see what happens

karlhenning

I like each reading in its way.  While I don't mind the velocity at all of the Michelangeli (makes me think of the bulerias), he strikes me as a shade mechanical withal.  And, I like the way the piece 'breathes' in the Gilels reading.

George

Quote from: ezodisy on March 16, 2009, 10:41:10 AM
lol! Yeah this section of the board sucks.

I should post all my threads in here and see what happens

I have an idea: edit your OP to be something more generic, like "Youtube performances that ezodisy likes." That way, if you find another, just post it in this thread and everyone who already posted in it will see it. I regularly return to threads I have posted in by using the link at the top of the page that says: "Show new replies to your posts."

Like Dave, I will view this when I get home.

Holden

Of the two current takes I prefer the ABM. I do, however, have Gilels in another recording of it from a live concert in Moscow in 1960. In this, Gilels (who is a bit too slow in the London version IMO) takes it a faster pace and it sounds more like I believe it should.
Cheers

Holden

The new erato

This music always makes me smile  ;D

Dr. Dread

I like them both but what part of Allegro does Gilel's not get?  ;D

ezodisy

Quote from: George on March 16, 2009, 11:31:03 AM
I have an idea: edit your OP to be something more generic, like "Youtube performances that ezodisy likes." That way, if you find another, just post it in this thread and everyone who already posted in it will see it. I regularly return to threads I have posted in by using the link at the top of the page that says: "Show new replies to your posts."

Like Dave, I will view this when I get home.

that sounds like a good idea. Only reason I started this was because of how completely different the 2 interpretations are. I'd like to say "One's Italian and one's Russian", but I could imagine Maria Tipo playing it like Gilels (even better).