Spotify - high quality, legal, free, streaming music.

Started by Guido, March 19, 2009, 03:49:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guido

It's sort of miraculous that this works:
http://www.spotify.com/en/

I'm not sure if it's available in all countries, but it certainly is in the UK. As I say - there's an enormous amount of music on here (many record labels have their complete catalogue on there), and its completely free and legal. I recommend that you get it now. Quality is the same as itunes.

For instance this morning, I had not heard of the Fitzwilliam Virginal book, so I just searched spotify and found five different artists playing pieces from it. Simple. As. That.

As you can tell I am pretty excited!  ;D ;D
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

MDL

Spotify is brilliant. The selection can be a bit erratic, but I've spent many a happy evening noodling around on it. I'm amazed at how quickly files are accessible. Listened to a few recordings that I once owned but gave away in my big teenage clear-out (when I decided that I would listen to nothing but post-war avant-garde music), including Ansermet's Rite of Spring. Also listened to Lachenmann's Little Matchgirl, which encouraged me to give the CDs another go.

MDL

Also listened to Maazel's VPO Bolero to see if he does that AWFUL thing he did at the climax of his New Philharmonia recording (ie, he holds up the tempo twice, once at the key change and again before the percussion onslaught). He does do it again. Why?! It's so ugly.

Also listened to Barbirolli's Mahler 2 (Stuttgart, I think), which was a bit ragged but often amazing in its craggy splendour.

You get the idea. Sign up to Spotify and you too will spend the next fortnight glued to your computer, dribbling takeaway food on the keyboard and wondering if getting a commode might be a good idea.

karlhenning

Guido

OK, I feared as much Karl... For the reasons above you should be both thankful and quite thoroughly miffed.  :-\
Geologist.

The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away

karlhenning

Keemun

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 19, 2009, 04:45:17 AM
N/A in the US. (Just saying.)

Officially, it's not available in the U.S., but if you access the website through a UK proxy, it is.  Enter the URL here and you're on your way:  http://privama.com/

FYI, when you create an account, it asks for a UK postal code.  Because I don't have one, I used the postal code for the House of Commons: SW1A 0AA   ;D
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Keemun on March 19, 2009, 05:43:55 AM
Officially, it's not available in the U.S., but if you access the website through a UK proxy, it is.  Enter the URL here and you're on your way:  http://privama.com/

FYI, when you create an account, it asks for a UK postal code.  Because I don't have one, I used the postal code for the House of Commons: SW1A 0AA   ;D

You, sir, are under arrest.  $:)

Keemun

Quote from: Mn Dave on March 19, 2009, 05:45:03 AM
You, sir, are under arrest.  $:)

Nuh uh!  I'm just listening to streaming music from the internet.  I'm not copying, downloading or distributing it, or otherwise infringing on the intellectual property rights of others.   So THERE:P
Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life. - Ludwig van Beethoven

Keemun

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 19, 2009, 05:57:32 AM
(Dave is the Fuzz?)

Just look at his avatar. . . .  He's clearly using a listening device on a stake-out.

karlhenning

Keemun

Well, I just reviewed their End User Agreement (something I rarely do) and determined that the legality of accessing Spotify from the U.S. is questionable.  Alas, I won't be using it.  :'(   Dave, can I call my bail bondsman now?  :)

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Keemun on March 19, 2009, 06:11:44 AM
Well, I just reviewed their End User Agreement (something I rarely do) and determined that the legality of accessing Spotify from the U.S. is questionable.  Alas, I won't be using it.  :'(   Dave, can I call my bail bondsman now?  :)

I'm not squeaky clean, brother.

Keemun

71 dB

My former working pal sent me a Spotify invitation week ago. I have been listening to it a lot!  0:)

Spatial distortion is a serious problem deteriorating headphone listening.
Crossfeeders reduce spatial distortion and make the sound more natural
and less tiresome in headphone listening.

My Sound Cloud page <-- NEW Jan. 2024 "Harpeggiator"

Keemun

prémont

This is what I got when I tried to access the page. Trees do certainly not grow into heaven by themselves:

Get started
Spotify free is currently in an invitation-only beta, which means you need to have received an invitation token to access the service

Not invited?
You have two options. If you just can't wait, you can pay to become a Spotify premium member and get immediate access

Otherwise, sign up here if you would like us to send you an invite as soon as we are able to.

Any so-called free choice is only a choice between the available options.

sul G

Odd - I didn't get anything like that. I just clicked, downloaded and explored it. Looks fun...