[Desert Island]BWV v RVW

Started by Opus106, March 19, 2009, 08:49:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Your choice for the deserted island?

BWV
RVW

ChamberNut

Quote from: opus67 on March 20, 2009, 05:22:16 AM
Whichever floats your boat, Colin! ;) Even score-wise I think I would find Bach intellectually more stimulating, now that I'd have all the time in the world to discover stuff like this and more! :)

Nav, do you associate certain composers with certain work occupations (besides music composers ;D).

Opus106

Quote from: ChamberNut on March 20, 2009, 05:27:08 AM
Nav, do you associate certain composers with certain work occupations (besides music composers ;D).
Huh? No, I don't. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

matti

A question for Brits: Why is RVW's first name pronounced "Rafe"?

Dundonnell

Quote from: matti on March 20, 2009, 05:49:20 AM
A question for Brits: Why is RVW's first name pronounced "Rafe"?

It is entirely a matter of individual choice whether to pronounce the name as "ralph" with the stress on the 'l' or "rafe" with the 'l' silent.
So the great British actor Sir Ralph Richardson, the contemporary actor Ralph Fiennes and Ralph Vaughan Williams all pronounced their first name as 'Rafe'.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 20, 2009, 06:06:16 AM
It is entirely a matter of individual choice whether to pronounce the name as "ralph" with the stress on the 'l' or "rafe" with the 'l' silent.
So the great British actor Sir Ralph Richardson, the contemporary actor Ralph Fiennes and Ralph Vaughan Williams all pronounced their first name as 'Rafe'.

My name is pronounced "Minn Dah-Vee".  :P

karlhenning

Is it a Welsh thing, particularly?

And a possible parrelel occurs to me this morning . . . the pronunciation of "half-penny" as hay-penny.

Dr. Dread

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2009, 06:10:15 AM
Is it a Welsh thing, particularly?

And a possible parrelel occurs to me this morning . . . the pronunciation of "half-penny" as hay-penny.

Those UK folks talk funny in general.

;)

karlhenning

matti

As to the question which I did not answer: BWV, obviously, not a fair battle. Even given a chance to choose between a brand new BMW and the good old RVW, I'd pick...  :-[

Dundonnell

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2009, 06:15:30 AM
They do, wicked funny  8)

I think that you mean "wickedly funnily" rather than "wicked funny" since-obviously- "funny" is an adjective" :)

Opus106

Quote from: matti on March 20, 2009, 06:23:07 AM
As to the question which I did not answer: BWV, obviously, not a fair battle.

Just a fun battle. :)
Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 20, 2009, 06:24:30 AM
I think that you mean "wickedly funnily" rather than "wicked funny" since-obviously- "funny" is an adjective" :)

;D

Wicked is a special colloquial adverb in Boston.

karlhenning

I wasn't going to vote, but Vaughan Williams is getting so beat up in the comments.

Dundonnell

"beat up" rather than "beaten up" ???

We may talk in a manner which you ex-colonials find quaintly amusing but at least most of us attempt to use the correct grammatical constructions ;D

Dr. Dread

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 20, 2009, 06:38:11 AM

We may talk in a manner which you ex-colonials find quaintly amusing but at least most of us attempt to use the correct grammatical constructions ;D

Unlikely.

karlhenning

Quote from: Dundonnell on March 20, 2009, 06:38:11 AM

;)

FWIW, here in the former colonies, both beat and beaten are given in the dictionary for the 3rd form of the verb . . . agreed, though, that it has a coll. overtone.

Opus106

Topic for next poll

[Desert Island] Dude who talks American English v Fellow who talks British English

Regards,
Navneeth

karlhenning

Oh, my use of dude is always borderline facetious.

Haffner

Quote from: k a rl h e nn i ng on March 20, 2009, 06:33:44 AM
;D

Wicked is a special colloquial adverb in Boston.

Not just Boston! I've lived all over New England (mostly Maine) most of my life, and I'm wicked bad when it comes to sayin' that!

matti

Quote from: opus67 on March 20, 2009, 06:42:32 AM
Topic for next poll

[Desert Island] Dude who talks American English v Fellow who talks British English

To each his/her own. I'd pick females, in general they have better oral skills.  :)