Kodály's Covert Clan

Started by Lethevich, March 21, 2009, 07:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 05, 2021, 02:53:48 PM
I love the red cover Ferencsik disc!

Cool, have you heard any of these recordings?

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2021, 02:56:40 PM
Cool, have you heard any of these recordings?

I own only the red Ferencsik, and it's been one of my favorite recordings. I will check others you posted.

vers la flamme

I don't know why but that Ferencsik disc with the Hary Janos Suite on Hungaroton is calling to me. I'm going to try and find a cheap copy.

Still been enjoying the Doráti/Philharmonia Hungarica Decca set from time to time. Kodály's piano music is cool, too. I have Klára Würtz's disc on Piano Classics which also features some Janácek. Would recommend.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 05, 2021, 03:16:54 PM
I own only the red Ferencsik, and it's been one of my favorite recordings. I will check others you posted.

Ah, very cool. Good to read that you enjoy that much, too. 8) Are there any recordings in your Kodály collection that I didn't buy that stand out to you? I also own the Fischer and Dorati recordings (on Philips and Decca).

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2021, 04:10:10 PM
Ah, very cool. Good to read that you enjoy that much, too. 8) Are there any recordings in your Kodály collection that I didn't buy that stand out to you? I also own the Fischer and Dorati recordings (on Philips and Decca).

Do you have the Fricsay disc? Also Dutoit is good for my personal taste. Probably, the Dorati and I. Fischer are the best recordings though.  :) :)

P.s. some people like Falletta.

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 05, 2021, 04:34:13 PM
Do you have the Fricsay disc? Also Dutoit is good for my personal taste. Probably, the Dorati and I. Fischer are the best recordings though.  :) :)

You know now that you mentioned it, I believe I do own that Fricsay disc. I recall that its in very good mono. I'll definitely pass on the Dutoit. He's definitely not a conductor I'd turn to when it comes to Hungarian music.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2021, 04:37:38 PM
You know now that you mentioned it, I believe I do own that Fricsay disc. I recall that its in very good mono. I'll definitely pass on the Dutoit. He's definitely not a conductor I'd turn to when it comes to Hungarian music.

Fair for Dutoit. As for the Fricsay, some pieces are stereo (sounding like mono 😄) and some others are mono.

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 05, 2021, 03:53:01 PM
I don't know why but that Ferencsik disc with the Hary Janos Suite on Hungaroton is calling to me. I'm going to try and find a cheap copy.

Still been enjoying the Doráti/Philharmonia Hungarica Decca set from time to time. Kodály's piano music is cool, too. I have Klára Würtz's disc on Piano Classics which also features some Janácek. Would recommend.

I will check the piano disc!

Mirror Image

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 05, 2021, 04:40:26 PMI will check the piano disc!

I'd check out the 2-CD set I bought on Hungaroton first if I were you. It looks like there's only two works and one that is excerpts on that Piano Classics recording that flamme mentioned.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2021, 05:01:49 PM
I'd check out the 2-CD set I bought on Hungaroton first if I were you. It looks like there's only two works and one that is excerpts on that Piano Classics recording that flamme mentioned.

Sounds good!

vers la flamme

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 05, 2021, 05:01:49 PM

Doesn't mean it isn't worth checking out. A fine performance from Ms. Würtz.

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 06, 2021, 01:33:38 AM

Certainly I am looking forward to listening to the recording!

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 06, 2021, 01:33:38 AM

This is true. I may have to check out that Würtz, too. :)

Dry Brett Kavanaugh

Indeed the Wurtz recording is a nice disc with a sensitive performance. Plus, both the works by Kodaly and Janacek are attractive compositions.

Mirror Image

Mirror Image

Cross-posted from the 'Listening' thread:

Quote from: Mirror Image on August 11, 2021, 11:57:47 AM
NP:

Kodály
Kádár Kata
Marta Szirmay, contralto
Budapest Symphony Orchestra
Gyorgy Lehel

I could listen to these orchestrated songs from Kodály all day long. It's too bad he didn't orchestrate that many of them. I still want to hear the original versions for voice and piano, though. Kodály's songs will be what I'll explore later on for sure. I'm less interested in the a cappella choral works. I think I'm missing a few chamber works, so I definitely need to rectify this as well.

I think Rafael would like these orchestrated songs very much, but if he doesn't, then I'll have question his ears. ;) :P But, seriously, I highly recommend this set to all fans of this composer. I haven't listened to the Spinning Room yet, but I'm definitely looking forward to it.

vers la flamme

I ended up ordering the red cover Ferencsik disc on Hungaroton. Otherwise I've been listening to a lot of the Doráti Double Decca set. Very fine recordings, though I've spent a lot more time with the first of the two discs than the second.

Quote from: Dry Brett Kavanaugh on August 10, 2021, 05:42:47 AM
Indeed the Wurtz recording is a nice disc with a sensitive performance. Plus, both the works by Kodaly and Janacek are attractive compositions.

Glad you're enjoying it. I ordered it initially for the Janácek, but the Kodály are also very fine pieces.

Mirror Image

Quote from: vers la flamme on August 11, 2021, 01:38:38 PM
I ended up ordering the red cover Ferencsik disc on Hungaroton. Otherwise I've been listening to a lot of the Doráti Double Decca set. Very fine recordings, though I've spent a lot more time with the first of the two discs than the second.

Sweet! I have to say that, so far, all of the Kodály Hungaroton recordings that I've received have been outstanding.

Brahmsian

*Bumping* for recommendations for Kodály's sonata for solo cello.  Preferably paired with the violin/cello sonata, and another preference for modern, non-historical recordings.  Great sound is very important.

Pohjolas Daughter

Quote from: OrchestralNut on February 23, 2023, 05:08:46 AM*Bumping* for recommendations for Kodály's sonata for solo cello.  Preferably paired with the violin/cello sonata, and another preference for modern, non-historical recordings.  Great sound is very important.

Well, as I've mentioned before, I'm a big fan the various Janos Starker performances (including some on the more recent side)...and I do think the sound of particularly his later performances of it are quite good.  The first recording that I heard of this work is a relatively recentish one with Jiri Barta on Supraphon which I still enjoy.  It's this one:  https://www.supraphon.com/album/1405-kodaly-novak-cello-sonatas

It's with Jan Cech on the piano and includes two sonatas for cello and piano:  one by Kodaly and another one by V. Novak (both which I enjoy).

Let us know what you decide on and how you like it/them!

PD

p.s.  It's from 2003
Pohjolas Daughter